Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Wheel bearing replacement

nivapilot

Country Flag
england
I need to replace my front wheel bearing for an MOT.

I know I need wheel bearings...a kit from Milners at £22.80...Do I need anything else to complete the job?
Any other gaskets, greses, seals etc??

Many thanks
Alan

If its been for mot i take it that the seals are ok as you would have been asking about them aswell ;)

Get a couple of the 56mm nuts and a lock tab or two. There cheap and handy to have as spares :thumbup:

karl webster said:
If its been for mot i take it that the seals are ok as you would have been asking about them aswell ;)

Get a couple of the 56mm nuts and a lock tab or two. There cheap and handy to have as spares :thumbup:

54mm ************

get some lock washers, don't re-use the old ones, they're cheap enough to change :thumbup: Have the bearings failed or have they just got a bit of play in them?

Not sure Jon.
I have been back to the garage and mechanic says they will try to nip them up first, but if that don't happen, then they will replace.......I asked them to do it because I looked at the weatehr for the next couple of days....wet and yucky, And I don't have a garage or car port to work in.....so it would be another week before I could repair, and another tw weeks before having to pay for a new test fee, they keep it, they repair by tomorrow, it comes home ready for the road........ :thumbup:

andyw said:
karl webster said:

54mm ************

i forget :oops: not supprised i keep having bearing issues..my sockets to big :whistle:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you need a 54mm hub socket i have one, i'm just round the corner from you too, but not this weekend.

Fair enough, fingers crossed they just need nipping up so you save some money.

Well the bearing only needed nipping up...plus both rear shocks replaced, all sorted now....MOT, tax applied for on-line....she's on the road... :dance:

I was just on to my local koyo bearing supplier..... I gave them the part numbers off the inner and outer wheel bearings. they then rang back to say that they needed the numbers off the races to identify the part. Before I start bashing the hub- are the races for these removable and does anyone have the part numbers if it's not what is printed on the bearings themselves?

JLM104910 goes with JLM104948 (inner) and LM102910 goes with LM102949 (outer)

Ok none of those numbers are on the koyo bearings (Wheel and Trunion) that I removed. What brand are the oem parts. Mine is a 93 12valve manual

Those are the part numbers on the Toyota boxed Koyo wheel bearings I have here. Depending on the age of what you've taken off the part numbers may have since changed. Do your old bearings say Koyo on them? The same bearings are used for all years and are the same on the back on full floater (locking) axles as the front.

My front axle swivels have recently started leaking quite badly. I'm hoping that it is just the breather that was blocked, I shook it around a bit and blew in through it to make sure that it was not blocked. I'll see how this progresses - I have an MOT tomorrow so fingers crossed.

I'm preparing for the worst though and trying to price up all the items I might need when I take the hubs off to replace the shaft oil seal including bearings. From reading the 80 axle rebuild thread I'll go with the genuine Toyota gaskets, oilseal, tab washer and gasket for the swivel housing - the prices are reasonable enough.

The Toyota bearing prices are out of whack... inner bearing £61, outer bearing £50 and steering swivel bearing £51 each :o

http://www.landcruiserparts.co.uk have a set of Koyo bearings (inner and outer) for £42 which seems reasonable. Milner are selling the same set (also seems to be Koyo) for £22.80. Milners are selling the steering swivel bearing for £7.80.

Are the Koyo bearings from these suppliers any good? Milners seems almost too good to be true.....

I think that has been said many times. The OEMs are Koyo. Certainly as far as we have all found. Difficult on a truck of this age as someone could have changed them before. Koyo bearings are Koyo bearings regardless of their source. Like buying a Nokia phone. Doesn't matter who sells it, it comes from Nokia. Milner do very good prices on them, but unless you go to counter you CANNOT guarantee that they will have Koyo in stock and they may send you something else. I have been doing this stuff for years and I don't think I have ever really come across bad bearings. Bad seals yes, rubbish wipers definitely, bulbs that last 10 mins,oh yes. But bad bearings such as the ones we're talking about? Not that I have found. Landcruiserparts is our very own Karl and we have all done business with him and will continue to do so. I bought the BEBs from Karl. I wouldn't do that from just anyone.

If you go to a bearing stockist, or a steel stockist or a PPE stockist you will be staggered at what people are charging. I saw a pair of gardening gloves in Tesco this week at £12.95. If I go to my local place, they'd probably give them to me if I only wanted one pair. Not worth ringing them through the till. Same with bearings. £61 from Toyota does not mean they are special bearings.

Best of luck.

Chris

TBH James I can shave a little off the bearings but I can't even buy the genuine koyo bearings from my supplier ex vat for the same price as they sell them for. Had this conversation with someone a couple of days ago and we came to the conclusion that they must be chinese copies. When the bearings arrived from Milner they came in a koyo box so must be the genuine thing.

Karl

Karl, honestly, I have my doubts about buying really cheap bearings - I've got the T-shirt .... Perhaps those at Milner are the real deal, but then again wasn't the Pentagon duped into buying over a million fake electronic parts for their military equipment? ....

Do you also stock the oil seals / gaskets etc for the front axles?

James

Usually got the inner seals but not the main hub seal set. I will look into getting some sets in tho as I'm trying to get the new parts going. As for the bearings I don't understand how they can get koyo and sell them cheaper than I can buy the chinese ones for :think:

Karl

Like I said, bearings are not expensive things. They are only expensive when people start treating them as special and whacking a margin on them. I have had the Milner Koyo ones and as far as I can tell they are Kosher. I have been putting them in for some time on different trucks. Never had a bearing failure - ever. Miler are not some back street internet business. There are real people working there. They DO know about the reputation of some of their cheaper parts and are actually changing their stock. people come to them because the want a cheap MOT and flog it part. They don't care if it lasts a month as long as the car is gone off their forecourt. We are not like that and they know it. Any rubbish bits I take them back as I only live 10 mins away. I complain like hell. Things have changed there and they stock far more genuine parts. Remember that they don't just do Mr T but all Jap marques. They have thousands of bits in stock and whilst they are decent chaps, it's not like a personal service that everyone get. If you speak to them and say you want a load of bits but ONLY if they are the Koyo branded one, then that's what you should get. If not send them back.

I have had no problems at all with their bearings. They look, measure and fit exactly the same as the Koyo ones I took out of the truck. Honestly.

Karl, how they buy them mate, at that price, well I can't say. But I really don't think that there is someone out there faking Koyo bearings. It would be more effort than it's worth. Type in the Toyota part number into Google and you'll get all the SKF and NSK equivs and where to get them. They are a few quid. Do not be fooled into thinking that inexpensive bearings are cheap quality bearings. Toyota is charging a frankly illegal price for something very common.

Chris

Back