Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

adjusted the injection pump timing and fitted a pre turbo EGT probe on the 80.

This is what i did today ...
DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

DSCN1341.jpg

What's that Carl? annoyed your neighbours with the flashy light thing? apologies to 'Men in Black' :lol:

swapped +150kg OME rear coil springs out for the +300kg OME ones I use when the LC is loaded up for trips.
Fitted the bigger BFG AT 265/75-16 wheel/tyre combo
Fitted roof bars and accessory frame
Fitted Roof Top Tent and Foxwing awning
Removed 2nd row seats and fitted my storage system

my waffle board storage system works! first time i have tried using it with the tent fitted

Attachments

• IMG-20130428-00901.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00901.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG-20130428-00904.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00904.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG-20130428-00899.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00899.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG-20130428-00900.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00900.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-20130428-00905.jpg
    IMG-20130428-00905.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 58
Changed engine oil and filter, dropped 6l out of the auto box, checked all three diff oils. Full underside inspection. Fitted 2 new TG Thompson winch solenoids. Even vacuumed and washed the inside of the cabin!
Loaded tent and all associated kit and removed the mouldy slice of bacon from the fridge from last weeks outing.

Reckon ready for a 14.00 wheels up on Friday

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cleaned and extended the fuel tank breather after the filler cap started making sucking sounds at the fuel stations. The breather was almost completely blocked and the breather housing was filled with dried mud.

Did an oil and filter change along with Fuel filter.

Dropped her off with Mr T this morning to have the tailgate replace free of charge.

Changed both front and rear diff oils..they needed doing and prepped to do the water pump and timing belt tomorrow.

OH an i picked her up this afternoon from Toyota with my new top and bottom tailgate sections. Very happy

Last edited:
Replaced a steering rack boot which was holed, and the front ARB washers and bushes. As they were an MOT advisory.
Thanks Simon H for the parts.

Changed engine oil/filter, air filter, and fuel Filter today. Just got to change auto oil,diff oils and transfer box, check back brake pads, and im ready for Italy.

Serviced the OTHER front hub this evening. Just couldn't rest really. Just as well I did. Looks to me as though the inner bearing wasn't actually going round. I think it was simply spinning on the stub. Could be wrong. But it was horrid in there. If you want to off road these beasts then frankly you can look forward to a strip and build just about every outing. Cleaned and utterly slathered in grease this time. The second I set off for a drive it felt better. Getting ready for completely new set of bearings both sides I think. Not worn from mileage, just from water ingress and corrosion. But boy, can I do these fast now.

Chris

Timing belt, tensioner, roller bearing, thermostat, radiator fluid and water pump all changed with out a hitch and i even managed to prep one wheel to be sprayed black when I get the chance tomorrow.

Last edited:
Had the geometry checked on Monday. Caster was spot on but tracking was slightly out. Removed tie rod, cleaned, de-rusted and stripped old paint. Added spray grease to ball joints and lengthened rod by 2mm. Re-fitted and tracking now OK. Needed to re-site clamp bolts as n/side was hitting the trailing arm.

Roger

Got the 80 on a ramp at work, gave it another good clean with degreaser and steam cleaned it off again. Looking much nicer underneath and ready for some paint. Noticed a couple if issues that need sorting,
Exhaust centre box bracket has broken so need to weld it on.
Pipes for the rear heater are a bit crusty and one of them doesn't have a hose clip where joins to the rubber hose!! Problem is if I disturb it the crusty bit might leak/break. Need make a new bit of pipe up.
Looks like a busy weekend ahead.

mmmm mine does that too.
tell me more, extended from where to where???

Cleaned and extended the fuel tank breather after the filler cap started making sucking sounds at the fuel stations. The breather was almost completely blocked and the breather housing was filled with dried mud.

One down 5 more to go at some stage. I will do a write up just incase anyone fancies giving it a go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367704409.498935.jpg

mmmm mine does that too.
tell me more, extended from where to where???

The breather sits just in front of the middle of the tank, up high near the body. I had already fitted diff breathers which lead to a breather manifold that is plumbed into my airbox. So I used a t-piece to plumb into the rear diff breather line.

If you don't have a diff breather setup you could run a line up to the filler cap with a small filter on the end.

Welded exhaust bracket back on and fitted a new bit of hose for the rear heater, cut the crusty bit out and used some hose to replace it.
Cleaned the chassis with a wire wheel at the back (round where the spare goes), the bits of rust soon went back to clean metal, gave it a coat of rust converter to sort any little bits and splashed a bit of paint on. It's gonna take a good few hours to do the full chassis etc but will be worth it.

Considered making a new storage unit for the boot and selling the one I made for my last truck. I plan on putting the spare in the boot on top of the unit, laid it out in the boot and with a bit of tweaking will use it in the 80. Will leave enough space for the high lift and air compressor. It has an opening lid so will mean removing the spare when need to get in though so will see how it goes.

Back