Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Lifted the 80 today :):):) pics to follow soon as get them on photo bucket.
Didn't enjoy the rear top shock nuts much lol.

Fitted the Goldfish TDS 9.5 winch, and refitted bumper

replaced 4yr old OME rear shocks (softest ones) with new stiffer nitrocharger sports - as i was finding the ride too wallowy
I fitted the orginal shocks before i even thought about lifting the vehicle or modifying it at all...

to remove old ones, had a quick go at top-nuts, then went straight at them with reciprocating saw!

Finally got round to re testing The 80 after I failed it last month! Had to do a full mot again as went past 10 days lol. All sorted now but really should put the secondry cat back on as emissions get a bit close to the limit!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
just found out the starter i bought a couple of months back is on it's way out......

i knew i should've bought a new one ....

Bang bang bang. Thump thump thud. Clunk. Drill drill, bang. Thrash, Ouch! F**%er. Bang, thud, drill, clump.

Tea. Ahh

Whack whack, crunch, lever, nnnngggghhhh! Damn.

Tea. Ahh

Whack whack whack. What? Yes of course I'm alright. What? No, I'm busy. Who? Why are you telling me this - now?

Go away. What? I said it's a lovely day errr Darling.

BANG BANG BANG clunk. Ah that's got the little b****rd

Oh blimey. I don't have one of those. Hmm, ebay. Tap tap tappity tap tap tap. Paypal, right sorted.

Tea. Ahhh

Yes one of those sort of days. Is off roading really worth all this maintenance? I have to ask. Rear bumper now off. Winch encrusted. Design mods on their way. Brakes re built. Clag jetted off. Various things straightened.

Gin and tonic. Aaaahhhhhhhh.

Put front diff back in and started replacing bearings, wheel studs and wiper seals on one hub. I will I had a press...

Press for which bit Rob; what bit put up a fight today?

I do have a press and it's a handy thing, but I've done all of those jobs and never bothered getting it out. For bearings I always use the old outer race with a slit cut in it. Just knock them in. I generally wind wheel studs in. We had to press Ben's in. But they weren't gen. Damn they were tight. Really tight.

Thing with the press is that by the time you've set it up, you could have knocked in or out whatever it was you wanted to do. Had to do a Corolla bearing and that's one of the complete inner and outer bearing sleeve jobbies. Took me a morning to get the first one out. Bang bang bang. It was a tw@t. Second time used a press. Pump pump pump, crack, gone. 2 mins. The Machine Mart 10t one does seem to have enough crunch for pretty much any auto job

Don't have a grinder to modify an old bearing race or to cut a nice new face on my brass drift. Also when I wound the new wheel studs in using an impact wrench the wheel nut just dug into the hub. Only reason I used an impact wrench is because I do not have a vice to hold the hub in place whilst I use the breaker bar to pull the studs through. I will just take all the hubs to work from now on as it will be far less hassle. I can't wait until i have a garage/shed with a workbench, living in a flat is a PITA when you need to do some work on your car.

Last edited:
Rob, mate, I feel your pain. I have a nice big drive, decent garage and I complain about it being too small! I remember Matt working at the side of the road in London as lorries hurtled past his ankles. Thanks for making me remember me how lucky I really am. I still want a container to store stuff in, a bigger house, more outbuildings, a workshop, pit, ramp .......

Only 6 numbers away.

I can imagine. There's no way I could do what I do without some room.

made a storage box to go where the OEM sub goes yesterday, gives a bit more space for junk really useful stuff :lol:

Repaired my damaged front bumper this eve and got it in primer, it's not a perfect repair but better then a big dent and scrape.
Made a cover for the top of bumper where I've cut a hole to see the winch line/get to free spool. Welded some captive nuts into the bumper so it can be secured in place.
Bit of rubbing tomorrow and get some colour on.

2 new font tyres BFG MT KM2s yesterday - only in little size to suit the truck. Much quieter than the 'old' MTs :icon-wink:

Then tensioned the a/c and alt belts & had a look at the radiator. Check this every oil change as a matter of course but thought I'd have a look anyway as this was in between services. Glad I did. Front of the rad was covered in some sort of vegetation/fuzz... gently brushed it off & used a hoover to clear up the mess without touching the fins BUT loads were crumbling away.:icon-exclaim: Some sort of electrolytic / chemical reaction I think. Not leaking yet, but it would only be a matter of time till something went catastrophically wrong. Anyway, new radiator needed & ordered at 3.30pm and in at Hereford Radiators this morning. All fitted & bled ready for the holiday with the kids.

I appreciate not a genuine part but the last rad I had from them was for a Merc 190e 2.3 16v (with a Mosselmann turbo kit:icon-evil:) and that's still perfect 6 years later!

Just need to keep an eye on it for a bit for peace of mind & if it doesn't last they're only down the road for a chat & a sort out. A real old fashioned 'proper' company to deal with:icon-biggrin:

New front disc pads. Half an hour well spent and they cost me less than 20 quid! The last set (same make soft compound) lasted 2 years (about 40k km), made in Poland.

Rob, mate, I feel your pain. I have a nice big drive, decent garage and I complain about it being too small! I remember Matt working at the side of the road in London as lorries hurtled past his ankles.

Sold the axles from the silver truck but it had genuine Toyota CV's and the red truck has clunky ones so : woke up, worked in the space at my house :) no more street for me! All tools laid out, cover down so no mess, rubbish bin, lots of gloves, ambient light.. Brilliant. Then it started raining. ^%$£@
Result though, axles totally overhauled, breathers checked due to the problem last time, bearings greased, Toyota CV's in (WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!), full diff oil flush. Driving so so much smoother now. Can even turn to full lock ;)
Seriously though, the range of motion the Toyota CV's have is unreal. So much smoother as well. Comparing them to the other ones I have which I don't know the brand but say they're made in Japan, I expected them to be very similar. They're not..

Tomorrow is ATF flush day and some well deserved scuba diving. Good to be back in the game after so much "winter weather". It even rained a few times lol

Namibia for 2 weeks in September :icon-cool:

Made a start on front axle re-build. Managed to get one side disassembled this afternoon... up to my elbows in grease and sludge. Glad I decided to finally get it done as the lower swivel bearing had a couple of rollers which were starting to break up!

Anyone know if the needle bearing upgrade for the brass bush fits the 70 series axles too. It looks like it should as its pretty much the same axle as an 80 but with a high pinion diff?

Need to get the other side off and get the steering arms into work for a bit of machining to make the Trail Gear trunion bearing eliminator kit fit. They say the kit wont fit standard steering arms, I say they will... if you have access to the right machinery. :D

Been taking pics so will put up a Trail Gear axle build up thread soon.

Been on with making some sliders for the 80, still got side steps too :)

Back