Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 P reg TOYOTA LANDCRUISER GX Amazon 7 Seater, TD 5dr, Manual

Now that one looks lovely, how does it drive?

Looks like its been well minded since import too, pretty scrape free etc

I'm sure today of all days is the wrong time to say this Chris but it seems to me you know the 80 series inside and out upside and down . I imagine there's very little you haven't done to modify or fix them over the years . So why not start the build thread of all build threads and get yourself an 80 for the specific purpose of renovation , strip it down to the bare chassis and rebuild it better than the day it was new modifying along the way to end up with your perfect truck . Just a thought i will batten down the hatches forthwith .

Well I am back. Many thanks to everyone for the advice, offers of support etc. Much appreciated.

OK so did I buy it? Nope. I walked away. Was it a total waste of a day? A complete wild goose chase? Money poured down the drain? Well yes and no. But mostly yes.

Difficult to sum this one up so I shall have to bounce about a bit here. Yet another seller who thinks that these are worth a vast sum of money. Another seller who doesn't really know the item he is selling. And once more a seller who is convinced that he'll get what he asks for so f*ck anyone who doesn't want to buy it. The item was not really misrepresented in the advert in any deliberate fashion so let's be clear. It's a family vehicle and as we know, when you sell something of your own, you have lived with it and cannot see any faults. You trust it implicitly because it has never let you down. But you need to convince the person buying it.

So what did I reckon. Well, he was clear that he wanted £5.5k with no road tax included. I know it's a GX but if it had been really straight and really tidy I'd have given him that for it and taken the lower spec car. But the truth is that it needed some work. It was not that tidy. But i would say it was very straight. i hope you guys understand the difference. There wasn't a single thing hanging off, not a self tapping screw in sight - OK? Underneath was bone dry, no drips. But very dry in terms of chassis condition to. Rusty- ish but really not bad. A little leaking oil actually keeps these things looking better. But a good steam clean and this would have been fine. The tow bar was the worst thing on the truck and needed dropping in the ocean.

Lockers worked. Inside was very clean and tidy. Damp from valeting, but tidy. Nice to be in. It drove OK but frankly didn't have any get up and go at all. I wanted to check the cruise control and need an airstrip to get past 30 so it would come in. It worked. Brakes - pretty poor. Even pull but really needed a good service. Swivel hubs, no oil running out, but huge waves of grease built up. Didn't see that as an issue.

Ok OK so I can hear you saying so why didn't you buy it dumb ass? Well, despite all the shut lines being good, hummed like a good un etc I just didn't love it. The tailgate was poor but I knew that. But there was rust around the front screen starting to appear. The air con condenser looked like it had been rammed with a fork lift. There was barely a fin left in it. Now that's just weird isn't it? The GX doesn't have a sunroof so you'd want AC on an overlander. And that is more faff. There was rust coming through in the wheel arch sills. The bits on the body where the doors shut? They shouldn't be rusty. I couldn't get the tail gate open with the current Mrs Chris inside and me outside. OK they sorted that later.

Now can I sum it up. It's a tough one. Was the car worth buying (forget price). Yes, it's no shed. What's it worth? Well if you just want an 80 and let's face it why wouldn't you, then it would be fine with some tickling. Value, sorry but it's a £5k car and that's that. Anything more and you are just buying into that value myth. If it had been in that condition and a VX then maybe £5.5 would have been OK. But it wasn't. If it had been very tidy (no not immaculate and perfect but 8/10) then £5.5 and it would be on my drive. So if he'd said OK then £5k and we'll shake on it, what would I have done? Now that really IS the million dollar question. It would be worth £5k but would I have wanted it. Actually I might have bought it and just driven it for a bit, tidied it and flipped it for a few hundred more I think.

Oh, sorry one thing more. The wheels in the pic look mint. They were shocking. I am surprised the tyres held air. So that's another consideration. I couldn't drive it with them like that. Anything else? Well it wanted a good T cut in my view. Dull paint, a few scratches here and there but could have come back to life I think.

So what have I learned. I prefer the VX, I would like a late 97 so an R really buy P is fine, I would take a GX but it would need to be really tidy in the right areas and priced to match. If you want a GX for £5k (it's at £5100 now) with no road tax in acceptable condition, then this one of for you. If you want something that's a couple of points better that you'd be proud to drive, then let me know when you find it.

Honestly I am not being too fussy. I am not looking for a cheap 80. I'll pay what is necessary. But it needs to be right for the money. Oh there were dents in the roof as well by the way!!!!!!!!

Can't think of much more at the second.

How were they to deal with. Well, on the phone very nice didn't want to waste my time or his etc etc. Good. When I got there and looked around it, I had to deal with what seemed to be the security guard. Maybe a family member I duuno. But knew bugger all about cruisers other than he knew it was worth £5.5 k. How odd. I tried to ring the chap selling it and he was engaged - at the same time that this fella was also on the phone. I had told him about the stuck tailgate and he was outside (on the phone) trying to open it. So clearly he was talking to the seller. I finally got through and I think that he was still on the other line the security guard. I started to say thank you for letting me see it etc and before I could have any kind of conversation about why I wasn't going to buy it at that price or anything - he just said, right got two more people coming today, bye. Nothing about wasting my time, can we talk, what was it you didn't like, just - bye. The guard said well to be honest, they have plenty of money and don't need to sell it. He's said if it sits there until it falls apart he ain't bovvered. But it's that price or nothing.

F*ck him then.

Bummer Chris.

You know what your looking at Chris we all know that.

The power bit you mentioned though. All factory standard 24v 80s just don't go at all. They are flat as anything.

I really hope you find what your looking for mate.

Well I have driven std 24v manuals before but this one was really flat. I know what you can make them do, but this was lifeless.

Chris

I'm a bit with you on that one Chris. My god you know how to pick your vendors, there really have been some queer f@@kers in your time recently. maybe the subject of your next book!!!
Keep searching matey, we're all on the case for you so one will come, they always do.

Andy

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Could well have been hiding something then Chris. Smokey or summat.......

Keep the search going. Your truck will pop up at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.

Now that one looks lovely, how does it drive?

Looks like its been well minded since import too, pretty scrape free etc

well it went good I thought quite poky ,haven't driven an 80 before -very different to my 100 and the 90 ,don't think the winch is original ,being an import It don't have diff locks but it may have a lsd ?

Karl, I think the 24V's vary a bit, the GS i've got ( the one with air con) pulls like a train with 214K on it from any revs but the farmyard one did'nt pull well till I did the fuel mods. The dear one Chris and I went to see was flat as well, but I know what you mean.

Andy

Every original one I've drove Andy have been flatter than you could ever imagine.

I had to drive back with the 100 series on my trailer when I collected one of them. On the way home I never got out of third geAr.

Guys, as I said, I think it was straight. Completely 100 % straight. Nothing hidden. But it's like saying, look I have a broken sofa for sale. £1000. You go to look at it and yes, it's broken. But then you look closer and say not only is it broken, but it needs more work than you thought to put it right. The seller says, or right. I see. Fair enough. Still £1000 Eh?

Say it again, for a smart GX at £5000 it's worth it. But for a not entirely smart GX for £5500 it isn't. People can bid what they like on e-bay, but when they view it as they really should they will change their mind unless they are mental.

Pete it should have a sticker on the back of the diff saying "LSD oil only" but it might be missing. To check jack both rear wheels off the floor ( in neutral) and turn one, the other should turn the same way. put it in gear and you should not be able to turn the wheel at all if it is working.

Andy

I dunno 500 quid doesn't buy much these days , i think the crux of it is you just know when this is the one , and for you this wasn't the one . Do you think Chris you might have taken it if you had never driven an 80 before ?

Pete it should have a sticker on the back of the diff saying "LSD oil only" but it might be missing. To check jack both rear wheels off the floor ( in neutral) and turn one, the other should turn the same way. put it in gear and you should not be able to turn the wheel at all if it is working.

cheers Andy I will do that next chance I get :thumbup:

If the winch is original the controls will be in a Toyota bag usually in the RH rear storage. It will just be a basic in/out and there is an extension piece to knock it into neutral for free spooling. the reason I know this is I have one on an import and as a basic winch it works well, but I don't know its capacity. What I like about it is it is factory wired up.

Andy

If the winch is original the controls will be in a Toyota bag usually in the RH rear storage. It will just be a basic in/out and there is an extension piece to knock it into neutral for free spooling. the reason I know this is I have one on an import and as a basic winch it works well, but I don't know its capacity. What I like about it is it is factory wired up.

Andy

My 80 had a mechanical winch when I bought it. I managed to break the drum casing when (in my inexperience) the wire wrapped around the casing, but it worked off the neutral setting on the transfer case, with its own engage lever inside the car. Then you could adjust the speed of winching using 1st to 5th gear! It was quite cool for that. To wind out you had to use reverse! It had its own propshaft running from the transfer case to the winch, about the size of a steering column. :lol:

Last edited:
Just reading the advert again, I see that it was actually described as (other then the mentioned points) in stunning condition. Yep and other than my obvious shortcomings I am a sex stallion. We live in a world of superlatives where stunning, immaculate, outstanding, mint, unrivalled, showroom etc are words used by people who don't know sh1t from sawdust.

Real shame. Hope someone gets it for decent money and enjoys it.

Who am I kidding. Why are all these cars so damn far away. Well at least I dropped in to seem family down there.

Back