Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

1997 P reg TOYOTA LANDCRUISER GX Amazon 7 Seater, TD 5dr, Manual

That's either a mistake on price, or a fraudulent ad.

Do a credit check etc if it all shows good the law states it must be sold at the price advertised .

Donno, seems pretty cheap. If it was close by I'd give it a view. Sometimes you get a steal!!! if you're not the first one there....

Andy

Do a credit check etc if it all shows good the law states it must be sold at the price advertised .

Errr...no. It doesn't, especially in the case of a private advert. :doh:

Even with proper high street retailers, it's far from black and white. One of the simplest outs is that if the price is "obviously wrong", no sound contract has been formed. You can then spend an awful lot of time and money arguing over whether it is "obviously wrong" to the lay person or not. :sleeping-sleep:

Last edited:

I think the seller would be allowed to change his/her mind and keep it :lol:

I remember reading in a paper with astonishment a few years ago about a guy that was taken to court for refusing to sell at the advertised price , his claim that the price in the car window was a mistake fell on deaf ears and the judge ordered him to sell for something like 10 grand less than it was worth . Also i remember an irate wife selling her husbands Porsche for £1000 when she found out he was having an affair , it was in her name . Strange world we live in so you just never know .

I won't be bidding Toyota haven't come up with a truck better than my 90 yet :icon-biggrin:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep, no compulsion to sell. Advertising something is an 'invitation to treat' an old common law ruling. You do not have to sell it. Once a deal is agreed then that is a contract and should be honoured. But if you advertised something for a pound and people turned up, you do not have to agree a sale. If it's an obvious mistake - selling a Rolls for a fiver or something because of a misprint then you aren't bound.. If the judge ruled here it is because of the facts of the case not the story in the paper.

True , i remember thinking on reading it "what could possibly compel someone to pursue the case through court after all he hasn't lost anything ?"

Half the time Shayne these cars don't even exist,so they can't be legally sold at the advertised price as there is no car to sell.

Sometimes there is a bargain to be had though:icon-wink:

Well it's still at £5100 so presuming that it's still live, neither of the other viewers drove off in it then. Let's see what it goes to at the end of the auction. Could be that a cheeky last second bid gets it, but if that bid isn't £5500 don't expect to get it. Doesn't mention a reserve but who knows. People have been contacting me asking what I really thought. Errmm.

So here's the logic one more time. It's a £4500 - £5k car. Going for £5500. So, with everything that it needs to put it really straight I would estimate between £1000 and £1500 ish. No it's not terrible, but it needs some work and I know how these costs spiral. Road tax, Tailgate, other rust, condenser and a drier, then a re gas then you find the main rad needs doing, plus coolant and a stat plus a decent spare, wheel refinish see? So what you end up with is a nice tidy GX that you'd be proud of for around £7000. Hang on - what would you pay for a tidy P plate GX. £7000? Really? If someone offered you a really tidy GX what would you be looking to pay? £5500 to £6000? And that would be taxed, sorted, ready to roll. So it's a good car, but the maths don't work. £5100 inc some road tax as a car that you just want to drive off in, ahh well that's different. It'd go for ever probably. But the second you talk about prepping it then you are onto a financial slippery slope.

See?

No longer for sale, seemingly the item is 'lost or broken'!!

What sort of a test drive did you give it Chris?????:wtf:

Can I report that to e-bay? He told me expressly that he wanted to conclude the sale outside of e-bay so as to avoid any charges :eusa-whistle:

Would that be unprofessional? Car for sale, ends early with the reserve not being met. Hmm

Most ads say "Advertised elsewhere and......." etc so they have a get out clause anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 4

They do, But his didn't ....

That's always been my problem with ebay, they can follow you if you don't pay for an item, but an item can be withdrawn when its 'on the market' so to speak.

Now I attend a lot of sales in my everyday life, and I have seen literally tens of thousands of items sold at the fall of the hammer from dropped calves at a few pounds, through horses in the thousands and once when I was actually at the ring (it wasn't ours sadly) over 1 million. I've also been to property auctions and even (bit sad maybe) antique auctions. I have also been 'in the box' on numerous occasions as the vendor.

And they all follow the same format, the auctioneer either has a fixed price reserve or he consults with the vendor and at some stage it goes 'on the market'.

I have never seen something withdrawn once 'on the market'. In fact as far as I am aware you LEGALLY CANNOT withdraw it.

No problem with setting a crazy reserve and negotiating outside the ring when there is no fall of hammer, even if it is to avoid commission, simply caveat emptor applies more strongly.

So how, or why can ebay be different?? I'd really love to know the answer to this one, its bugged me for years....

eBay seems to be a law unto itself, where logic and common sense are frequently found to have gone on holiday. :shhh:

Back