Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Adrian Flux

Ben, if you haven't already I'd try NorCounty (see above). They take into account the LC being a second vehicle and also don't put the premium up for modifications.

Lorin said:
Ben, if you haven't already I'd try NorCounty (see above). They take into account the LC being a second vehicle and also don't put the premium up for modifications.
I tried them, but they only allow two claims in the last two years so no good for me :thumbdown:

Cossack said:
Lorin said:
I tried them, but they only allow two claims in the last two years so no good for me :thumbdown:

no good for me either, ive got 3 claims in the last 2 years. :thumbdown:

off to wales now for a full day of laning tomorrow, might be my last one in my truck if i cant get insurance any cheaper. :thumbdown:

ben said:
Cossack said:
Lorin said:

no good for me either, ive got 3 claims in the last 2 years. :thumbdown:

off to wales now for a full day of laning tomorrow, might be my last one in my truck if i cant get insurance any cheaper. :thumbdown:
EDIT! Made a mistake there, that should have read two claims in the last three years, doesn't help you Ben but I only just noticed my mistake :oops:

after having spent 2.5 hours on the phone to various insurance companies, (most of which was spent on hold :( ) its not looking good. :thumbdown:

no one has beaten adrian fluxes £1700 on a limited to 1000 per year quote. so £1.70 per mile just on insurance! :shock:

theres no way im going to pay that, so looks like my truck will be off the road till i export it! :handgestures-thumbdown:

1000 miles per year sounds very low and this may be putting up your insurance, have you tried putting it up to about 5/6k?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yes it was £2100 limited to 5000 mpy. :(

i dont do many miles in mine now, as its only 1.5miles to work and back. looks like i will be cycling for the next 8months. :?

Have you tried a motor traders insurance? Just tell them you a part time seller. I am sure it will be cheaper and no limits on mileage.

Paul

thanks Paul, i will give it a go. :thumbup:

i did think of a couple of possibilities to get cheaper insurance.

1. my best mate hasnt had a car on the road for a few years now and has got a clean licence, and no accidents.

so i thought of getting him to insure it in his name with me as a named driver.

2. my other mate has a motor traders policy that covers him to drive any car. hes got 10+ vehicles on the road, and changes vehicles quite regularly, so his policy covers him on all the vehicles, all he has to do is call them up and give them the registration and the vehicle is insured.

so he could insure it for me, but obviously i wouldnt be insured, but i could buy a cheap small 800cc car and insure it fully comp, or third party fire and theft, and make sure the policy covers me to drive other vehicles third part only, that way id be insured third party on my truck.

but i cant really be bothered with either of these solutions, too much hassle. i guess im just fortunate to be in a position to be able to not have a car on the road, otherwise id be forced to pay the extortionate sums these big corporate companies are demanding to insure me! :roll:

ben said:
but i could buy a cheap small 800cc car and insure it fully comp, or third party fire and theft, and make sure the policy covers me to drive other vehicles third part only, that way id be insured third party on my truck. :roll:
Would that be legal? because that sounds like a solution for me, I was about to buy another car to tide me over until I could get the Landcruiser insured but if this is OK I could have both on the road :thumbup: but 'any other vehicle' may mean those not belonging to the policy holder :think:

Cossack said:
ben said:
but i could buy a cheap small 800cc car and insure it fully comp, or third party fire and theft, and make sure the policy covers me to drive other vehicles third part only, that way id be insured third party on my truck. :roll:
Would that be legal? because that sounds like a solution for me, I was about to buy another car to tide me over until I could get the Landcruiser insured but if this is OK I could have both on the road :thumbup: but 'any other vehicle' may mean those not belonging to the policy holder :think:

simple way to get around that is to stick it in some one else's name. :thumbup:

i was going to put the V5 in my mates name, but im sure i read some where, when i looked into exporting my truck to OZ, that ive got to have owned it for a certain amount of time, before i can import it, so putting the V5 in his name could effect my ability to export it. :)

I think you'll find it must belong to someone else so you'll have to 'sell' it, must be insured by that someone else (required for it to be on the road now anyway), check your other car policy has 'any other vehicle' cover, not all do and last but not least best not tell us all about it in case it gets you into trouble ;) Your 'any other' cover will be just third part as well, not theft, so don't be the last person to drive it ;)

Ben,

I would be very careful about changing your story to try and get insurance cheaper. It will come back to bite you if you ever need to claim, worst case, plain insurance fraud.
My current client is an insurance company (not motor mind you but the same exists / being put in place) and one of the projects I am busy with now is to detect people testing the waters and then changing the details and retesting ultimately taking out a policy which is far cheaper than the original one which is deemed to be the "real story". Calling them back to claim you are a part time trader might seem to work and they will happily cover you but come claim time they could ask for proof that you are or attempted to be a part time trader. If you fail to convince them you were then they will simple cancel your policy and if they really want to be an arse, report you for insurance fraud. The current policy is to take on the risk (insure you) and at claim time, the "triggers" get checked. Anything suspicious and they will dig deeper. Should they decide against it, they keep all your premiums and you walk away with nothing...

Selling the truck to a friend for £1 and them insuring it with you as a driver is all above board though as they take the risk. (bla bla disclaimer)

If you think it is all very anal, here's a cringer of a story from a motor insurance client of mine for a few years ago.
You know the lovely question when you take out a policy "Have you suffered any claims or losses in the past x years?" The key to that is "loss". A loss is just that, something that was stolen, damaged etc regardless if you claimed for it or not.
A 70 year guy took out motor insurance and answered no to that question. A few years later his car was stolen and he put in a claim. After a bit of digging (not even hard, they searched a few databases) they found out he had had his side window smashed and his sunglasses stolen off the seat. He then phoned and enquired with the then insurer but decided against it as his excess would be to high and he would loose his NCB. He repaired it all himself.
See, the broken window was a loss. Basically, he lied to the new company at quote time. They refused his claim and he lost the car because of this little question.

The underwriter's reason was, if he had his window smashed he obviously frequents "bad places" and while they would have insured him anyway, they would have put a loading on it because of the added risk.

I am more truthful to insurance companies than my own GP. I've worked with them for long enough to know some of the tricks .I've built systems for insurance companies to do the nasty...

My advice would be to give the truck to someone else and them to insure it for any driver etc. (BUT READ THE POLICY TERMS AND UNDERSTAND THEM FIRST!!!) Not sure if your age would be a problem for that? Not sure what the lower limit is. I would certainly not phone them back and say "You know what, I'm now a part time trader..." They could ask to prove if (purchase and sales proof) and if they are not satisfied, it's off to the ombudsman and a lengthy process...

Sorry, not the bearer of good news.

thanks Chrispin, maybe i will give Pauls idea a miss then. :)

i cant help but feel that insurance is a complete rip off, and is all on the insurance companies terms, and everything is in there interest.

like if youve got x number of years, no claims bonus. that can only be used on one policy at a time. so you insure a second vehicle, but cant use your no claims bonus, even though you havtn claimed for years. then some one crashes into you in the second vehicle and youve then automatically lost the no claims bonus on the other policy.

or how you can only keep your no claims bonus if you keep insuring, as soon as you say have a year out, all those years of no claims bonus's have gone.

and like the story youve told above, insurance companies will go out of there way to try and find a way around not paying out.
thats why ive always told them about every single mod.

:angry-banghead:

the latest scam that ive heard, and which has just happened to one of my work colleagues, is that people are choosing a vehicle that belongs to some big company, and copying the reg plates and fitting them to there vehicle, safe in the knowledge that that big company will always keep there vehicles insured, MOT'd, and taxed.

my colleague had some one crash into the back of his van on the way to work. not a problem as the guy who hit him said he was insured, so they exchanged details.

a few weeks later it transpired that the car that hit him had the same plates as a tesco delivery van. tesco had tracker evidence, that that van was delivering in london that day!

quite a simple scam really and one that im sure works well for the people who do things like this, especially as almost all police cars are now equipped with ANPR (automatic number plate recognition) cameras, so obviously if they drive past one, it wont ping up, because the vehicle plates theyve cloned is all legal. :)

The insurance companies certainly do seem to be against a lot of people at the moment. Not much I can say on that. It is unfortunate that you fall into a certain profile :(
It might seem that insurance companies "do all they can to get out of a claim" but another way to look at it is, if I asked you to deliver something for me which was 10 miles away. We agreed on a price and you set off. Half way there you realise you've been conned and it is 20 miles away. had you know that in the beginning you would not have agreed on the price. It's only being "fair". (I sound like I am defending them :twisted: )

Not much help to those who are struggling to get cover though :(

To get a motor traders insurance you have to sell over 4 cars a year (if a private person and the DVLA sees more than 4 in your name in a year they will class you as a trader anyway). They do not have to be in you name, but you send the part off on the log book that is for motor traders, but if you sell them before hand then you do not have to. I use to be a motor trader years ago and do about 20-25 cars a year, owned some less that 12 hours. If you get 4 cars from an auction and put them stight back in job done. Even if you make a slight loss, then it is still cheaper than what they want you to pay now. Insurance even covers you for cars on a trailer and trade plates. As for claims, you use to drop a years no claims for eack claim. Only thing is they only pay out trade price on claims. I never had a claim in about 6 years.

Rob had a great idea at the weekend for my insurance. :clap:

i should insure it for weekend only use. :think:

its only really a toy to me, and i dont use it much in the week. so im going to call flux back and see what price they come back with, if they will do a weekend only policy.

at least then i could still go on my weekend laning trips, which i enjoy so much. :cool:

That might be a possibility for me . . . . maybe :think: :pray:

Avivia seem to do short term insurance, 1-28 days. Might be an idea for that?

Back