Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Another viewing

Not looked at it yet, as I don’t want to have to take a half day off work to go and have a look if I can do so on the weekend. The plan is to be at his front door first thing on Saturday morning. You are right that the colour of the leather would be a pain in the ass to keep clean but whilst we are here it would be kitted out and be more of Barbie cruiser and when back in SA I have a nice set of seat covers to go on.

At the end of the day I am buying it to get it dirty and for it to take us as a family to some exciting places in SA so I need to bear that in mind.

UPDATE....ITS SOLD. :thumbdown: :evil:

I guess I should have taken that half day this morning and gone to have a look. That is a real bugger.

Oh well onwards and upwards.

Well im up showered had breakfast and about to jump on the train to York (4hours)....the things we do to find the right cruiser. The seller sent me some pics last night, she looks quite nice so i have high hopes. Will let you know how it goes.
7812981678_2e47748a0a_z.jpg

7812980960_09a16f95f3_z.jpg

7812980180_f53ea751e8_z.jpg

7812979222_31b8b938f7_z.jpg

7812977826_e809147377_z.jpg

7812977202_41d50cf490_z.jpg

7812976576_867746830c_z.jpg

7812975764_0e3c9fe299_z.jpg

7812974926_7142500a38_z.jpg

7812974698_ac64dc9355_z.jpg

7812974480_97bcc5867f_z.jpg

7812974298_ee0a77ed05_z.jpg

7812974116_5a2222d5d2_z.jpg

7812973924_d45bff5b6a_z.jpg

7812973732_38d9ff7b7f_z.jpg

7812973566_8f9e84c5a6_z.jpg

Looks good Warren, Lets hope it meets expectations and your search is over.
It should be a good one, its from " Gods own country" ha ha.

Andy(TTG) :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Certainly looks brilliant - good luck, hope it is all you wish for!

I guess there is little to no bargaining room left now?

Does look clean and tidy from what he has showed you.
How does his price fit in with your idea of what you want to pay?

Gra.

Thats nicer than the green one, and the leather is a darker shade, much better.

Pete

Well where do I start...

The journey went well all 4 hours of it and was very impressed with the British rail system as it just seems to work, well on this occasion anyway.

On arrival I was picked up by a true salt of the earth chap called Simon who has been in the car game for many years. He seemed to know a fair bit about cars but when it came to landcruisers…let’s say his knowledge was found wanting.

I was told not to worry about the underneath of the car as all landcruisers came with galvanised chassis and that the reason the AC was not working was because it needed a re-gas.

On inspection the underneath of the car was not too bad but needed some work to catch the worst of the surface rust prior to it getting past manageable. The cv’s looked good no leaking diffs or transfer box and no leaking steering rack or leaking AC. So far I was happy.

I then opened the bonnet see the reason there was no AC was that there was no belt and had not been for some time as surface rust had started to form on the pulleys.

It looked like the car had been driven through many muddy puddles and the engine was very dirty and needed a good clean but it had no leaks which was good. There were a few more signs of surface rust in the engine bay but once again manageable. The oil was pitch black on inspection and the filter looked rather tired as if it had been removed and put back on again as there where tool marks on it….I am speculating.

So by now you thinking OK its not to bad, I guess he made an offer and has a new car….OH NO.

The bad bits are that the rear top section tailgate has bad rust under the bottom section by the open catch, so bad that it had started to buble around the rear window rubber and looked to me as if it would need to be replaced.
The wheel arches all had signs of bad surface rust and by tapping with a screw driver would say they have 6 month at most before there would be holes right through. The previous owner was a dog man and the car stank of dog which I can handle as most smells you can sort out over time.

The service book had dealer stamps up to 34k but none there after even though it had “been serviced by an independent” up until its current 63k and no prior MOT papers. The revers camera did not work and the front whind screed had been replaced and the rubber reused and badly damaged.

All in all not a car for me and so the search continues.

I am beginning to wonder if either my expectations or budget are going to have to give as it would seem very hard to find a good car with under a 100k on the clock that is 04 or later for 18k or there abouts.

That's unfortunate considering the journey to see it but at least you know.
How long have you been looking because if it hasn't been to long hold out for a month or two to see what else pops up.

Phil

Was that the same vehicle you had pics of? Certainly doesn't sound like it!!

Sorry you're having such trouble finding a decent one :-(

that's a shame :thumbdown:

did toyota skimp on paint for the 100 series or is it isolated cases for rust, as my 95 collie is 4 years older and the body/chassis is really clean no rust holes etc obviously the chassis has 12 years of surface rust but no rot. just wondering why an 8 year old landcruiser would be so bad :?: or is it because of areas that get more winter grit. :?:

Joe

I have been looking for some time and am in no rush BUT my ILR is due in a month or 2 and then I have to be in the country for 12 months after which I get my British passport and then leave to go to SA. So I don’t want having to own a car for 12months prior to exporting it to hold me back as the last thing I want is to have to stay on this island because I have not owned a car for long enough. (I know I can but will pay more taxes)

Not sure on the whole paint issue. It’s a known problem on the 100 that the rear top section of the tail gates go from the inside out and the wheel arches because of the way they are moulded have a lip on the inside which collects dirt and so moisture which if not cleaned out then speeds up corrosion.

Salt on the roads does not help either.

No rush but I have a front and rear bull bar, winch, under body protection plates, OME suspension and upgraded torsion bars, foxwing awning and many other bits I am just dying to fit to my new car which is killing me as my luck it will come in winter when working outside is no fun

warrenpfo said:
No rush but I have a front and rear bull bar, winch, under body protection plates, OME suspension and upgraded torsion bars, foxwing awning and many other bits I am just dying to fit to my new car which is killing me as my luck it will come in winter when working outside is no fun
I know I'm not exactly a next door neigbour, but you're welcome to come and use my garage if you need to do jobs in the dry and be relatively warm Warren :thumbup:

Many thanks, I may just take you up on the offer when the time comes.

I would say,Hold out,
You will find the one, at the price.
Unfortunate, this one wasn't the one.

The "one" in the photos did look in excellent condition, and I would ask myself, was this the same vehicle?

Gra.

Graham said:
I would say,Hold out,
You will find the one, at the price.
Unfortunate, this one wasn't the one.

The "one" in the photos did look in excellent condition, and I would ask myself, was this the same vehicle?

Gra.

Seconded, I have seen there are quite a few on fleabay, but then I assume you have already checked that and other places :)

Rust on wheelarches??

After I bought my 100 I stripped out the plastic liners etc from the front and was Horrified to find the amont of fine dirt and damp especially between the rear of the front wing and door pillar.However I cleaned it all out with a hose and also all around the rebate with the hose and brush and found it brand new with a slightly oily surface. I could not find any rust in the rear arches either. Also the rear aircon pipes look like new. The previous owner said he used it for Mway to France in summer only so no salt damage. Also still has original Toyota batteries. There is a bit of rust around the tailgate handle aperture.

Frank

Back