Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Apologies if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this

my experience so far btw is always had Lexus - LS400, LS430, GS 450H, and Supra (for our Toyota cousins). Have driven a LC 100 test drive recently and quite liked it but was extremely tatty. This 80 is similar price but looks mint in comparison. Only concern is maybe I'd regret manual transmission (not that I'll be offroading much at all).

That’s a expensive 80 for the uk not so much where I’m am but if it’s all clean and mantained falliously it’s worth checking out.

Only thing I’d say that it’s been in the market for quite sometime maybe even a year so bear that in mind to why?

Also manual may not be to your taste for sure most are autos and are the preferred choice.

I would suggest getting to know these vehicles first before you buy.

All the best

my experience so far btw is always had Lexus - LS400, LS430, GS 450H, and Supra (for our Toyota cousins). Have driven a LC 100 test drive recently and quite liked it but was extremely tatty. This 80 is similar price but looks mint in comparison. Only concern is maybe I'd regret manual transmission (not that I'll be offroading much at all).

In my limited experience of 80's and the UK market I'd say you're looking at £5k profit for that dealer. At that price I'd expect it to be factory fresh underneath and I can tell you now it wont be.
Also to bear in mind its the GX level cloth trim, far removed from the leather interior of the VX. While some don't mind the pedal/stick arrangement I'm with you, auto is the way. If you really want an 80 and an auto then maybe its worth hunting down a 24V auto import, which is what I have.
Corrosion and rust will be your enemy in your search for a good one 80 or 100.
Its always worth asking a Club member with experience to go with you to view.

BTW I think Trevor from this forum has a low mileage 80 for sale, it may be worth asking him.

Thanks for those wise words. I appreciate it. I'm getting into a bit of a cruiser fever as for various reasons I really wanted to have something by the weekend, but not going to make any impulsive decisions. I'm going to check out an Amazon (100) this weekend instead ('99 model and although tatty has been well maintained by an enthusiast). I need to keep my head and my patience... (Been to see a couple of very misleadingly described cruisers recently).

Thanks again :).

Last edited:
Welcome along. I think Andy has covered that really. It would have to be a minter at that and it's got nearly 200,000 miles on the clock. I say buy the best you can afford and save yourself the money on all the jobs you'd have to do, but that only goes so far. Paying OVER the odds doesn't mean that the car won't need work. I'll bet diamonds that the front axle will need a good going through as will just about any 80 you buy (I know Trevor's has been done actually) It's a fact of life that these big old trucks will not have undergone the maintenance that we as experienced owners would have given it. Effectively therefore there is a sort of fixed list of things you'll need to do regardless of what you buy unless you have total proof that they've been done.

Incidentally in order to help you, try to title your posts so that people can see what you're after so something like 'Looking to find a decent 80 in the UK' would be more helpful. If it's in the wrong place we'll move it for you. Pop over to the introduction section and post a bit about yourself as well as filling in the details in the sidebar so we can see where you are. People can then offer you local help, OK?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The same dealer had a 100 series with an equally ludicrous markup advertised for ages so I popped in for a laugh last year when I was driving through Chalfont St Giles.

Eerie forecourt on a remote farm full of very tired vehicles.

The owner seemed completely uninterested in the fact that someone had turned up looking to buy a 20-year-old truck and just kept reiterating 14 grand.

Classic, innit.

I just had an email from him saying he'll ship it direct to my door for £14K all in. Not looking to bad-mouth anyone but yep that's steep, particularly buying unseen... As I say - was suffering from cruiser fever :).

Going to take my time, but am seeing one this weekend that looks like it's been maintained and kept up to a good mechanical standard (guy may well be a member here, but I won't go into details). It is a 100, one of the earlier ones, but is also half the price of the one I posted earlier so will have a bit of a fixer-up fund for anything that may need doing later.

Incidentally in order to help you, try to title your posts so that people can see what you're after so something like 'Looking to find a decent 80 in the UK' would be more helpful. If it's in the wrong place we'll move it for you. Pop over to the introduction section and post a bit about yourself as well as filling in the details in the sidebar so we can see where you are. People can then offer you local help, OK?

Yes, sorry Chris. Looking back that wasn't the greatest subject heading. I will be more specific in future. Really appreciate the responses though. Thanks for making me feel at home.

Not at all. We're here to help those who want to be helped. There's some real scammers out there I'm afraid. If these were Ford Focuses there'd simply be nothing to gain. Wherever there is a limit on choice someone is always going to cash in. We do have members on here who have not had the support of the forum and relying simply on the reputation of the 80 they've jumped straight in and bought. Some it's true have ended up with a gem but some have really ended up with a disaster - both having paid top money. Do have a look in the sticky section on the 80 forum as there are guides as to what to look for in an 80.

Sure you will have to pay more to move up the scale but you reach a point where someone is truly taking the p***

D'yknow, that's very nearly worth it! It's got less miles on it than mine!

That is a beaut. I did actually set my budget to £20K max, but I'm not going to jump down this particular rabbit hole :). I can imagine it being a great addition to a garage, but I'm after something a bit rougher that I can throw the dogs and family into without worrying about damaging the residuals :).

Welcome to the forum, I know you started by saying you're looking for an 80, but now you're considering 100s this one might be worth a look Toyota Land Cruiser Amazon 4.2TD auto VX 1999 (V) reg 2 OWNERS-24 SERVICE STAMPS
It's up there on the money for an earlier model, but condition affects asking prices.

Have a search on the forum for buying advice for 100s, the seem to be more subceptable to rust than 80s, so a very thorough inspection would be required. I know photos can hide a lot, but this one does look a half decent, less abused example.

Using the reg number to check the mot history of any prospective purchase can help to filter the good from the bad, or help pre warn you to a problem that needs attention and could be used as a negotiating point.

80s and 100s are quite different beasts, so test driving both would help make your decision. If your not planning high mileage consider the petrol engined models, they can be lower on the miles and better condition, and can be cheaper.

That 20grand one has failed an MOT on rust before though.

80s and 100s are quite different beasts, so test driving both would help make your decision. If your not planning high mileage consider the petrol engined models, they can be lower on the miles and better condition, and can be cheaper.

I work from home so it'll mainly be used for weekenders/holidays in the UK. So a thirsty V8 petrol doesn't put me off that much as overall fuel costs won't be a big part of the package.

I've been quite tempted by this one https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201712011734601

low miles, and I'll probably only be adding 3-4K a year. I guess what I'm aiming for is something solid and reliable and can get me in and out out of trouble when driving our working cockers. Have heard a few horror stories about the seller though...

I've always been a Lexus man and had an LS400 for years, then went to the LS430, but found that the magic wasn't there in later iterations.

Seems like the 80 is the equivalent to the LS400. Good ones now highly sought after, and uhe LC 100 is the LS430 :).

£10K for that X plate 4.7L seems good value if in good nick and used as I intend to don't you think?

Check the MOT history on that one! Corrosion, corrosion, more corrosion, and a few fails on silly things.

Seems high priced for the year. If you're spending that sort of money then look for the later (2002/2003 onwards I think in the petrol one) wiggly gate 5 speed gearbox. Mileage doesn't need to be low on these trucks as they will do upwards of 300,000 miles with few problems. @Jon Wildsmith has a V8 hundee and may be able to give some pointers here. They are very smooth and not especially thirsty for the size of vehicle. I should get the latest one you can find with a good service history that's been looked after, underneath especially. These trucks rust badly if not looked after underneath so go prepared to crawl about under it and have a real good look. The mot history as mentioned can save you a journey.

Back