Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

auto gearbox: 4gears(2004) vs 5 gears(2005+ ?)

alokin

anyone can comment on differences between 4 gear automatic gearbox and 5 gear one? i found one 2004 120lc but to my suprise it had ondly 4 gears (automatic). engine is 3.0 d4d with 120kw.

anyone driven with this model, are there big differences in longetivity, fuel consumption and performace to 5speed auto garbox?

thanks!

Are you sure they are different? you may find that the gearbox is a 4 speed and overdrive rather than a true 5 speed gearbox.

If you can see the car, the gear lever will probably go from D-4-3-2-L which would imply it could be locked in 4 so it will either be a 5 speed or 4+overdrive

IIRC Andy the gearboxes are very different - and the newer 5 spd box is a 'true' 5 speed. I'll go look on ToyoDIY later, but pretty sure it's the same as Mr T did with the 100 series.

Cheers

as far as i remember when sitting in that car few weeks ago it had d-3-2-1
could not say about overdrive, how do you engage that?

5spd is the A750F gearbox

4spd is the A340F or A343F

I'm sure there will be some details somewhere on the fundamental differences.

Cheers

EDIT:

A343F "4-sp Auto" (Effective Ratio=Gear X Diff gear)
- 1st Gear 2.804 (12.06)
- 2nd Gear 1.531 (6.58)
- 3rd Gear 1.000 (4.3)
- 4th Gear 0.753 (3.24)
- Reverse 2.393 (10.29)
Diff Ratio 4.3

A750F "5-sp Auto" (Effective Ratio)
- 1st Gear 3.520 (14.43)
- 2nd Gear 2.042 (8.372)
- 3rd Gear 1.40 (5.74)
- 4th Gear 1.00 (4.1)
- 5th Gear 0.716 (2.936)
- Reverse Gear 3.244 (13.3)
Diff Ratio 4.1

This is from MUD and was on a 100 series thread :shock: Didn't realise they shared the drivetrain?? So my comment above was closer than I suspected ....

MUD Link

I had the 5 speed on my LC3. I think it was the best auto box I have ever had on any vehicle. Nice dropped into an 80.

Chris

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
thanks guys!

from ratios the biggest difference is in first two gears, so i suspect acceleration from standstill is way much better with 5 speed. regarding cruising speed there is not that much difference so i would presume that fuel consuption and speed on open road is about the same (?)

the last questionmark for me is the longetivity, older transmission more durable or not? how long is a life span of those auto gear boxes ?

Cant comment on longevity but I've had both.

Preferred the 5 speed but there's nothing that makes me want to rush out and get another one now that I have the 4. I've not played off-road with the 4 yet - but day to day - if you're not lining them up next to each other in tests - and for normal driving - I'd say you'll be happy either way.

Money no object? Get one with the newer 5. But if you find a great condition older one with the 4 speed and you're not pulling a load - then I'd say you'll be very happy.

So... 5 better... 4 good enough. Just my 2p.

Ok, so the gearbox change must have happened in 2004, my car is registered jan 05 and has a 5 speed and must have been built in 04.

I had asked mr T to change the gearbox ATF at the 60k service and I was advised they were sealed for life units and they only check the fluid condition and level. When pushed they suggested if it the car has had a hard life the ATF could be changed at 100k if the owner insisted.

Back