Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Front winch bumper build (80)

Chris

Super Moderator
Supporter
Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Well, finally got cracking on the winch bumper today. Not all gone entirely to plan but at least the winch tray is made and fixed on. I bought a winch tray thinking that I was very clever and subsequently have spent all day trying to make use of it. Should have ditched it and gone with plan A. Still, Jon will be pleased to know that it's 14mm thick now. Well over-engineered. I have some finishing off to do on the mount and then I will have to think about the rest of the bumper. Just for speed, seeing as Lincomb is looming, I shall just make a sort of space frame affair to keep it 'legal' as I think that PC Pullem might not like it as it is.

Really good to work with. Better than a 90. Plenty of bolt holes in there already

IMGP4157.jpg

Made some sort of overshoe brackets to start with to mount the arms for the tray

IMGP4158.jpg

The angle is 10 mm. Nice and strong

IMGP4159.jpg

And there we have a winch mounted and working

IMGP4160.jpg

Lots to do tomorrow.

Chris

Been busy with the welder again Chris :) Your winch looks a lot bigger than mine!

You've spilt your coffee :D

Well it's a 9.5i. I believe that it's the same externally as the 12i. Just the gearing that's different. It does look bigger than the basic 9.5 but I prefer the contacts in the bridge on the TDS. Just easier and neater. I guess you could get a standard winch tucked under the grille a little more, but this is as close as you can get this puppy.

Nice to be welding again. I've missed it. Still got the touch.

CHris

Well, had time to reflect on the day's efforts and was on the drive at 07.30 taking it off again. I didn't like the winch tray and decided that it would mount nicely upside down at the back when I come to make my rear winch. That gave me a clear field to go at. And go at it I did until I ran out of steel.

Got the front box made up and the main fender sections too. Once I cut the top sections and weld the internal gussets in place it will be mighty strong. I can get High Lift points in and my ARB recovery hooks too, plus of course the outlets for my compressor. Hope to be legal for Lincomb or it's back on with the old one. It won't be finished, but as long as it's OK to travel, I shall be sporting a rusty new winch bumper come Friday.

photo3.jpg

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Really starting to come together now. Will get some more steel tomorrow. It's all 3mm. Not too heavy to lift. Nice to weld. When powder coated it will look almost like a bought one. But a fraction of the price of course. Spent nearly £20 on steel so far!!

C

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 225
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 219
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 218
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice work so far Chris. Are you following a similar design as to what you did for LB?

Not really Tony. Fabrication methods are the same of course, but LB was extremely difficult. I mean REALLY difficult. So don't' you selling them on e-bay! :naughty:

This is so much easier. The bumper on an 80 is purely cosmetic. It doesn't actually form part of the essentials of the vehicle. If you took it off I think it would be road legal. With the winch fitted obviously it's not pedestrian friendly. But in terms of making a working bumper rather than replacing bodywork, it's a doddle.

Chris

That winch bumper is looking really good :cool: , so much better than my original effort :oops: , I particularly like the angled 'wings' is that for deflecting wayward pedestrians? :lol:
Chas

If your weather was anything like ours you did well to get anything done today Chris :thumbup: Looking good, do you have any plans for being able to see the drum?

Well you gotta blend it in somehow Chas. It may add about -.00001 to the drag coefficient if I'm lucky. What would a pedestrian be doing in the road anyway?????? They can damage a truck quite badly. Recently I had to swerve really quite violently in order to hit one. They were halfway up the embankment!

Hi Jon. Rain? What rain? Does a solid sheet of continuous water falling from the sky count as rain? I had to keep fitting and removing and run in and out of the garage all day. Not going to be able to see the drum other than through the hawse. It's always been that way really. Last three winches I have had. What can you do? I think that being able to see the drum is helpful, but less important with washing line than steel rope. You can see enough through the gap with the finishing strip on the leading edge of the bumper.
Got me a wireless remote too!!

C

I shall have to have a look at your winch toys at Lincomb :)

Chris said:
Got me a wireless remote too!!

C

Been thinking about these since the last time I was stuck and I am liking the idea. What make did you get? How easy would it be to integrate these to LB?

Got it with the new winch Tony. Goodwinch guys were very helpful and generous. I think it's a fairly cheap affair from the winch supplier.

Chris

That looks the same as mine, except of course it's not 24 volt.

C

Cossack said:
TonyP said:
Chris said:
Got me a wireless remote too!!C
Been thinking about these since the last time I was stuck and I am liking the idea. What make did you get? How easy would it be to integrate these to LB?
Have a look at these Tony, I've got one on my winch.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/24v-WIRELESS-WINC ... 3cb1134d79
Chas

I've got a couple of those from them too... He's a very helpful chap and the sealed solenoids are ok too. There is a noticeable time lag in operation but not a problematic one.

I'm happy with the cabled remote, but occasionally the wireless might be quite handy. especially spooling out at a distance to get the cable to a tree for example. LB had the air operated freespool fitted too but I never got around to a 4 way remote. In / out and engage / disengage.

Chris

Chris said:
That looks the same as mine, except of course it's not 24 volt.

C
Oops, didn't spot that, mine is a 12v.
Chas

Thanks for then link Chas, will keep a watch on the seller as I see he does do the 12V version, but only with a solonoid at then moment. The only issue I see is I would want a 4 button version so that I can opperate the free spool.

Back