Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Ideas for Lincomb

Lincomb Ideas

• - A bush Mechanic course (wonder if we can raise Greg?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • - An auto electrical course?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We used to do that Warren - it made for an awfully long day, and we'd only get back to the farm at about 19;00 or so ... And so we have that up after a while. Trying to get everyone ready to go for 09:00 wasn't the easiest either!

Cheers

We missed out on a lot of the social side of Lincomb being away laning all day. You can go laning any time, Lincomb only happens twice a year ;)

a demonstration of how to repair a punctured tyre would be good. :thumbup:

even better if they also demonstrated blowing it back on the rim with lighter gas! :angry-fire:

basic auto electric fault finding would be useful. :)

another thing that might be nice might be if a projector could be set up in the evening and people could show us some of the amazing trips theyve been on.

Matt showed some of us a load of his pics of his trip down Africa, at last years Lincomb and that was very interesting.

Reinhard's thread about his last trip was also very interesting, and would have been good for this. :)

i would love to see/eat a proper pig roast :drool:

even if it meant Tony having to charge a bit more. :thumbup:

Ben said:
i would love to see/eat a proper pig roast :drool:
even if it meant Tony having to charge a bit more. :thumbup:

I'll second that :drool:

Hi guys,

Just found this thread.

I welcome any ideas, it's reall? your event.

Food wise, when I did the pig roast, it's £600 for half a pig, until the Wednesday before I had 27 people coming. Thats just for 2 pork rolls, nothing else, so at £20 a head is a lot to charge, and that's at cost!! I can't afford to risk ordering one and then have a low show, unless those who do come split the cost.

I ordered two whole pork bellies, previously everyone has had more than enough, i work on one per twenty people, so should have had plenty.
I also got 120 sausages, and then 40 burgers, all home produced locally, and fresh.
Also potatoes and salad, some was left over.

Sorr? some of you felt hard done by.

Will happily do what you guys want, and I can soon arrange a pig roast for the next one. Will save me a job? :pray:

Hope this doesn't sound like a rant, it's not, it's just quite hard when close to 30 gets closer to 50 folk to feed!!!

Keep the ideas coming.

Cheers,

As for the pub idea, that can be arranged, good local ales, and I am sure I can find some good bar maids, :thumbup:

Qualified instructor to help out, also possible! Maybe.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Tony,

I was one of those who although I sent a confirmation by email well in advance, I didn't really commit to coming until the Saturday morning when I'd seen the forecast.

I had a great weekend and you and all involved in the organisation did a fantastic job. I understand it's difficult to plan when there is little or no co-operation from some of the attendees.

So by way of a personal apology, I retract the remark about Oliver Twist. It was ill-thought and unnecessary and perhaps a little unkind.

Hope to be at the next one!

I did PM Ian with my feedback a few days ago, I come to Lincomb and enjoy it so much because I can't get this terrain greenlaning or at the pay and pay sites locally. So for me it's all about the opportuntities to just drive. Whilst there have been some really good ideas on this thread, for me with only a couple of exceptions I have struggled trying to cram into what is in effect 1.5 days a very full program.

I would be very happy to see this become a 3 or 4 day event, a long weekend with so much to do would be awesome. The social side has always been brilliant and I have to say that I am always replete after the food on a Saturday night, I treat Lincomb as a learning experience for my truck and my own abilties, it still stretches me which is what keeps me coming back. I acknowledge that I'm still very much a newbie to 4X4 but there are some old hands with infinitely more experience than I who also still keep coming back, something is just right about the venue and program.

Team Lincomb seem to be able to keep coming up with new ideas, stages, and challenges. Just when you think you know Lincomb it gets better again.

Ok here is my 2 pennies worth. As some have already mentioned it is a pretty busy weekend and I do enjoy the driving for me that is what the weekend is all about, Also getting to meet all the great people that belong to this club.

The idea of maybe making it a long weekend would work for me that means more driving. At Lincomb you get a huge variety of terrain and obstacles that can not be found anywhere else (at least not all in the same location) that it is great for novices and experts alike. You can push your limits and the trucks to the hearts content and in the knowledge that you are surrounded by people that are more than willing to help out when you get stuck or give good advice.

The work shops idea is a good one and as for me I would be more than willing to pass on my skills and knowledge. As some of you may know I did a few years in Breakdown and recovery and had certificates in everything from lorry loader cranes to winching and lifting, I have recovered everything from a Puch Maxi to a 120ton steam locomitive on the back of a low loader.

But it would be just that, my knowledge and how I apply it, not a recognized course in recovery.

I really enjoy the Lincomb weekends and I can't thank Tony and his family enough for allowing us all twice a year to tear around his farm, also the rest of the team for comming up with new challenges each time and donating their time to marshal them. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU..

Steve

Hi guys,

Good to hear all the comments. Things that can happen easily are,

Extra days and nights. In October I won't be working away, so will be here the whole week before, and after. Therefore anyone is welcome to arrive early, leave the following week. I can't do the August bank holiday as I am at a job in Scotland, so the only problem I see is that some co ordination is needed to get as many here for as long as poss, outside the normal Friday to Sunday.

Food, no worries, just dropped the ratio for people to pork belly from 20:1 to 15:1, and increased sausage to 3 per head.
If you want a full pig roast, no problem either, just cost will increase, with no salad, pots or pud.

Pub in marquee, the beer went down well last autumn, kindly donated by Chris, from BOAB, and I can get that here, no problem at all, and happily do that at cost, spread across the numbers coming. Bar maids, of course, lingerie clad, - will do my best ;)

Will keep trying to improve games/challenges. Will do my best to get a few more loads of rocks in, to make a better rock crawl, just need to pull a favour in from my mate who farms next door,,who knows a chap...

Keep the ideas coming, will aim to make autumn 2012 Olympic! :thumbup: :dance:

Ps, thanks Olazz, :thumbup:

Cheers,

For the people who have voted for welding, are you wanting to learn how to weld, which might be a tad unrealistic for the time available, or are you just after having a go with a welder with someone giving you some pointers and then you go home and buy a welder now you know how easy it is? MIG welding is not really very hard at all, the hard part really is not the welding but designing stuff and knowing what order to put things together so you don't weld yourself into a corner, holding stuff in place while you weld, which bits will distort and how much when you get them hot, that sort of thing :)

Welding was one of the options I went for Jon, many years back I could gas weld, well brazing anyway. I have tried stick welding but I think I would have done better with Araldite :lol: What I wanted to find out was just how 'easy' is MIG welding before I wasted my money on something I didn't have the ability to use :roll:

How about a demo on making an 80 winch bumper Jon. I could haul it away for you when it's finished. It's the least I could do. :whistle:

Chris

Chris said:
How about a demo on making an 80 winch bumper Jon. I could haul it away for you when it's finished. It's the least I could do. :whistle:

Chris
I wouldn't risk that Chris if there's any of my welding on it :naughty:

:lol: I was just trying to get an idea what people wanted from the welding option. I don't even know if there's power anywhere suitable for it, never mind the logistics of getting a welder and bottle of gas down there to play with. We've heard from Chas but I'd still be curious to know what other people wanted from the welding option.

Same question applies to the electrics option as well, what sort of things would you hope it would cover?

On the welding front, I think making some basic joints and repairs with a stick might be a good demo. Let's people see what's involved. More likely to come across a buzz box in the bush than a MIG.

In terms of electricks, some basics on Voles x Hams = Currency and how to measure them. Setting up a CB, making good connections.

Simple stuff that could be easy to set up and repeat in small groups maybe.

Me? I shall be in the woods winching away as usual.

Chris

Jon,

For electrickery classes, its the basics...

How to best use a multimeter to trace a fault
How to find live switched power source
How to test for faulty switches
How to test a solenoid
How to connect a solenoid to a power source
How a solenoid works and why, when to use
Cable sizes current draw and fusing
Earthing, how, why, where

Just looking for a starter guide to give us confidence to go buy a welder and start glueing on our own. Not looking for a comprehensive course.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

We have the farm workshop, if you want to pop in if passing, Jon, come have a look to see if there's gear there you can use. Some might be a bit dated though!

Back