Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Introducing SmilingHound - 4x4 equipment, stainless parts.

Graham Stirling

Keep an eye on http://www.smilinghound.co.uk, a full web site will be up soon.

Initial products available:

"RED" Winches - The ULTIMATE high performance winch - British design and manufacture. Hydraulic, high performance, high speed.

"RED" accessories

"PLASMA12" winch ropes.

More products will follow - currently designing stainless steel replacement parts for Landrovers. Landcruiser parts to follow if demand allows. Suggestions on a post card! or PM.

Discounts for club members.

Hi, toying with the idea of a hydraulic winch for the front of my 100 series, I had a look at Red winches recently and was pretty impressed, how are you getting along with them? What sort of set up would you recommend
Thanks

Hi Julian,

The business is up and running but the web site isn't quite there yet.

There are several options available but the most important factor is what you intend to use the winch for. If you let me know the laden weight of your vehicle and intended use i'll look at the options and recommend the most cost effective.

As for rope, i would recommend PLASMA 12 strand which we can supply at a discount if ordered at the same time as the winch. Steel rope is also an option but can be quite dangerous if not treated with respect, although it does have superior abrasion resistance over soft ropes.

Thanks, Graham

My PLASMA 12 came from AndyT at a very good price!! I do need to get another length when I get a rear winch.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Andy is the sole importer and distributor of PLASMA in the UK and Northern Europe. He's also a good friend of mine, as we both sit on the commitee of the Scotia Winch Challenge club.

If you are needing rope let me know what you want and i'll sort the best price i can.

Cheers, Graham

Graham Stirling said:
Hi Julian,

The business is up and running but the web site isn't quite there yet.

There are several options available but the most important factor is what you intend to use the winch for. If you let me know the laden weight of your vehicle and intended use i'll look at the options and recommend the most cost effective.

As for rope, i would recommend PLASMA 12 strand which we can supply at a discount if ordered at the same time as the winch. Steel rope is also an option but can be quite dangerous if not treated with respect, although it does have superior abrasion resistance over soft ropes.

Thanks, Graham

Graham, thanks for coming back to me, all up weight for my truck seems to be about 3600kg, I use it mostly for overlanding adventures, basically I am after a very reliable winch that does not require a huge amount of maintenance, that will be able to pull me out of mischief. It doesn't have to be the fastest thing in the world, but as it is a pretty weighty truck I am trying to keep an eye on the weight of all the extras I am bolting on
J

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi Julian,

There are 5 winches available. All are all perfectly adequate for the job. I would recommend the Challenger or the Sabre. Both the Challenger and Sabre are single speed winches. The Challenger winch is the entry level winch, (in terms of RED winches), and has been extensively tested by the military. It is currently fitted to several military vehicles. The Sabre has similar statistics but includes aircraft grade aluminium end caps to reduce weight and roller bearings to improve free spool.

If you think you might be in situations where you need to repeatedly draw out rope, such as long muddy sections of unsealed road or long slippery uphill sections then the Sabre would reduce fatigue to the operator/winch hand.

If you intend lowering the vehicle on the winch, then I’d recommend having the optional braked unit can be fitted.

There are two pump systems available. A PTO and engine driven system with an electromagnetic clutch. Various control options can be supplied to suit.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards, Graham.

Hi All,

Website updated to include stainless steel Land Rover hinges for those who are interested. This is the kind of thing we can do in small batches so we're not constrained to Land Rover parts. Enquiries for small batches for ....well....whatever really, are welcome.

Cheers, G

HI Graham,

Can you organise some sort of PTO for a landcruiser or only for an LT230?

thanks

Jim

Hi Jim,

RED only do PTO clutch housings for Landrover boxes. But, i'll have a look and see what i can source for an LC box. What gearbox are you running and what do you want to do with the winch?

There is always the option of an engine mounted pump. Is that of interest to you?

G

Back