Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

KZJ95 Exhaust - Are stainless available?

Rob Johnson

Hi Folks!

The old girls exhaust started blowing coming to work this morning, haven't had chance for a full inspection yet but if it is all shot are stainless available?

Does anyone know if anyone manufactures one or would it need to be a custom built, Powerflow type? Has anyone had prior experience?

Failing that, are Milners exhausts any good?

I'm not planning on selling her anytime soon so may be worth opting for stainless!

Attachments

• yorkshire 011.jpg
    yorkshire 011.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 926
I'm not aware of any off the shelf units. I've just had one custom made with a couple of design changes for more clearance.

What were the mods and what was the cost? Any Pics?

I have just spoken to Powerflow and they said £400-£500 worst case without seeing it, I was thinking more £200-£300!!

I've got a smaller can than stock to give a bit more space on the underside, and the tailpipe now exits behind the rear wheel to give clearance for an offside recovery point.

I paid about £350 for mine.

Ideally you want a system from turbo back getting rid of the original dump pipe as it is very restricting, in most cases it will have to be custom made...

I wish I had the tools to make one myself :think:

Dump pipe is on my to-do list, looking forward to fabricating that one, but not entirely sure if it's worth the hassle of removal and refit. :eusa-shhh:

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hate to admit it but ever since hearing Snow Whites exhaust on that vid Caron posted of them pushing a numpty out of the snow i can't help wanting a louder pipe . I'm happy enough with the power i've got and i'll worry about clearance when i get time to break something having fun . I just want my truck to sound as mean as it looks .

Any ideas ?

Last edited:
If the main silencer is shot, & you don't want to lay out £300 plus for stainless (or as an interim repair) try this - http://stores.ebay.co.uk/PartsORama...51202011&_sid=126263031&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

You'd need to put in a length of straight pipe as well (prob 2.75" dia) although you could use the 3" muffler & make your own dump-pipe back system...

I used an old one I'd got lying around as the local plod got a little too interested in my straight pipe modification to the original silencer:oops: - shouldn't have been accelerating as hard past the VOSA depot at Ross on Wye :icon-biggrin:. Still sounds throaty without droning on a run now.

If you can afford it definitely go 3" turbo back. Excellent mod.

Hi Rob

Dunno whereabouts you are but PECO in Birkenhead, Merseyside were looking under £300 for a system for our Colorado. I never followed it through as the zorst has not fallen off yet but probably will when do when it does.

Maybe of use, may not!!!

Let us know what you get sorted any ways...

Cheers

Prospeed in Cardiff do a full 3" system for the Colorado but don't expect much change from £400 .

Off topic guys, but how easy is it to make a full stainless system? Getting the 3 inch stainless is easy, it's bending it thats the tricky part... Welding it up for me shouldn't be a problem.

I thought about cutting angles and welding them instead of bending the pipes but I reckon this wouldn't work too well, thoughts? I would make a turbo back system, that wouildn finish just near the rear wheel

I bet you will find plenty of 3" stainless bends on ebay .

Manage to find some stainless on the internet, but it would be handy if someone out there who has a 3 inch system already could do some measurements for me, does anyone have a 3 inch system on a collie?

I made one for my 80 a few weeks ago. I bought a selection of bends and cut sections from those for a lot of my bends but also used slices of straight pipe cut at an angle which are handy for making up the difference sometimes. I also bought some pre formed slip joints, clamps, flanges, flexi joint ... Wasn't difficult as such but it was slow going. The end result is quite satisfying though.

I made one for my 80 a few weeks ago. I bought a selection of bends and cut sections from those for a lot of my bends but also used slices of straight pipe cut at an angle which are handy for making up the difference sometimes. I also bought some pre formed slip joints, clamps, flanges, flexi joint ... Wasn't difficult as such but it was slow going. The end result is quite satisfying though.

Where did you get your materials from, any in particular? And did you do a turbo back system or from the end of the dump pipe? The problem with the collie's is that there is hardly much room to fit a 3" bend from the turbo from what I've heard...I'm gonna have to take a closer look.

Anyway this is my plan... from the turbo, make a flange and weld on a 90 degree relatively sharp bend, then have a flexi piece which then leads onto a long curved piece and then a straight section to the muffler. I plan on using the standard toyota muffler but welding on the 3" pipe. From the mufler I will have a slightly curved pipe which will poke out near the rear wheel, done

Will most likely use pre cuts, and slotted joint where I'll use clamps. If the clamps don't work too well then I'll have to weld it all up.

The one I used is an Aero AT3030XL http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-956/Aero-Exhaust-Resonator-Turbine/Detail I also got an AT3030 at the same time in case the larger one was too quiet (which it isn't) http://www.mandrelbendingsolutions.com/servlet/the-949/Aero-Exhaust-Turbine-Muffler/Detail which is shorter and a bit louder. I chose on the basis of some videos from people running them on ih8mud not the techno speak on the web site but it seems to work. It's not as quiet as a more conventional packed big box like Pro Speed put on but it has a nicer tone and does quieten it a lot compared to a straight through pipe.

Last edited:
Nice system. Looks like the diesel routes better then petrol with the bend under the chassis rail! Needs a re route or side exit if it'll silence enough!!

Back