Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Lincomb Fun Challenge Weekend 9, 10 October

Chris said:
ok, but given the price......
Yep, they're a good price, almost too good to be true, an electric winch that works and doesn't need a rebuild once a week :shock: :lol: A hydraulic would be nicer but that's a) more money, b) more work to plumb in and c) will still only be used once every blue moon! My only experience of electric winches is second hand and I'll be more than happy to eat any derogatory words about electric winches if this is a good un :D

I'm really hoping to have chance to winch up something like Rubie Hill so I can see how hot it gets on a fairly long steep pull. Next to being siezed up that seems to be the other major problem with electric - melting at the first sign of a heavy work load.

Jon, watching people drive up RH is exiting, watching people winch up will be terrifying. Might I suggest that you winch down it first? Getting over the last brow might be interesting with the angle of the rope. I shall have the outside broadcast team on standby. It's hill too far for me. Given my roll on Tiny Blue last time, I think my days of adrenaline or over.

I like the idea of a hydraulic winch, but is it possible to have an electric power pack and separate pump so that you CAN run without the engine? I have really only ever need a winch once in a real proper emergency and that was when I rolled Lil Blue in Wales. I hydrolocked the engine so I couldn't run it at all. Electric winch and massive battery saved the day. I practically winched back to the campsite on that one battery. Alternative would have been to strip the heaters in situ on a Welsh hillside at a 45 degree angle with no brakes.

Chris

I hope to arrive about 7pm - See you all there and finally put faces to names, drink lots of cider and ask lots of stupid questions about my cruiser.

I'm not sure how well an electric pump would work Chris but I'm sure it could be done, for emergency use. I'm leaving my AT's on this weekend so it shouldn't be hard to find somewhere I need to winch but it needs to be putting a decent load on the winch for me to get useful data from it.

Ian is in the area, there's a red car on my drive :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I hope you guys have a great weekend! I'll be thinking of you from Rio - I am sitting at my desk trying to work, with this view outside :whistle:

RioView.jpg

PS: I hope Ian hasn't broken his toys before everyone arrives later :mrgreen:

Cheers,

It's gone again ;) :mrgreen: I think the news from Lincomb so far is it's already claimed it's first electric winch of the weekend :o

No news :?: :!: No piccys :?: :!: No live updates :?: :!: :? I guess all the carputers & iphones are bust then :( :) ;)

Perhaps the first rule about lincomb, is that nobody talks about lincomb :D

Probably having too much fun - unlike me, who has this for a view at least:

38d0f28e.jpg

Julian said:

Hi,
????

Too busy to be on computers, all out around the farm enjoying themselves.

Winches in occasional use!!

Sunday night should see more posts and pics.

Cheers,Tony. :dance:

Julian said:

Only joking Tony, have you seen the film Fight Club
Hope you are all enjoying yourselves and not too many broken biffs

I think the first rule about Lincomb is the internet seems far far away while you're there having a good time ;) It was a very entertaining day today, starting off with a group field repair / workshop on the radiator on Ians green car after a fan blade hit it and was ripped off :o , then lots of driving around trying to work out where the punches were hiding which is more fun than that description sounds :thumbup: several winch recoveries - still deciding what I think about the goldfish, and some blind driving which was a real hoot. For me the day finished off with some chat around the fire and some extremely delicious roast pork :mrgreen: Tomorrow should be interesting :mrgreen:

Jon Wildsmith said:
For me the day finished off with some chat around the fire and some extremely delicious roast pork
That gets my vote :thumbup: Put me down for next year :D

I had a great time, living up to my dubious reputation :oops: , getting stuck twice. Winched myself out the first time, with a little help, second time the only suitable tree was further away than my winch line would reach so was rescued by Ian Rubie with his sooper dooper winch :cool: , but not before slipping in the mud, falling backwards and nearly breaking my back in landing on about the only bit of hard ground at Lincomb as well as almost drowning in a deep muddy water filled rut, as I fell my head went under the muddy water, it got up my nose, in my mouth, eyes and ears and hair :lol: , I was stuck upside down for a while holding my head above water, back screaming in agony before I could get back on my feet, so much mud that when I had a shower the drain got blocked :shock: I was beginning to think I'm too old for this game :think: , nah! I'll be back next time :dance: :dance:
I left early for home because I didn't think I would be able to climb the ladder to my rooftent. As I had aired down the tyres for the woods, on the way home I called at the nearest garage to re-inflate, forgetting that various people on-site had compressors, anyway after calling at THREE garages with fubared pumps :( I was on my way, see y'all next time.
Chas

so how are all then muddy LC owners? was the Hog good?
any diff's or CV grenade'd?

Just got in, all cruisers driving home,no AA/RAC, though a couple had some superb bush repairs, Greg,rad and cv genius.

A huge thanks to everyone who helped and everyone who took part.

A very successful weekend, dry and sunny too, :clap: :thumbup:

Cheers, Tony and Becky.

We want to thank everyone who organised this fantastic week end. Challenges where great spirit was supperb the food even better and all and all a great week-end and I would recommend all to take part.

Thank you to all

Back