Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Looking to buy a 120, rust concerns

Next two possibles are these two at a local dealer:

Nothing alarming in the MOT history, but obviously no underneath or under bonnet shots in the listings.

Both LC5's, avoid unless remedial work has been done on the suspension. One thing that no ones mentioned id that by this mileage injectors will need replacing as a mater of course and it may be one reason they are on sale. Its a £700-£1100 job but must be done around the 130-150K mark to avoid engine damage. I did mine with brand new injectors and it was a £1k job although lads who've done it themselves with recon ones did it for around £600.

I would be wary if it's warm when you get there. The injectors wear and typically need to be replaced around 120k miles. They are very noisy on cold start, rattly as can be, which when warm sounds ok.... Not a show stopper, just budget around £1k to replace.

Rust is the one I'd avoid

Last edited:
What sort of remedial action is required on the suspension?

Air bags getting past their best, along with pipes etc, lots have had them removed and replaced with springs. I've seen axles in need of remedial welding too.

Hmm, there are some LC4s around these parts, might have to check them too then. Less tech is in some ways better. The touch screen in the lc5 looks severely dated now.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Today's punt. 2006 LC4, no plate in the pics. No underside pics. But it's not far so why not?

Phoned abut the LC5s posted above, one is off for a "wheel refurb", seller promised to call me back when it's ready to view. We'll see if that call actually materialises.

Yes, why not Rich, if they're local, so much the better. You will probably get through quite a few before finding something suitable, so dont be put off, rejecting any.
That's an odd one, to list something, then take it off for a 'wheel refurb'. If indeed, the seller wanted to spend money, thought he would have done that originally.
As you say, will see if that call actually materialises. Your getting the hang of it now.

Looking pretty good so far. Some rust and dirt but seems to be surface. Engine started from cold in the button, no clatter.

Nothing bad in the mot history.

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_153922.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153922.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210818_153909.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153909.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20210818_153901.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153901.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210818_153855.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153855.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20210818_153852.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153852.jpg
    405.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20210818_153743.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153743.jpg
    513 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20210818_153731.jpg
    IMG_20210818_153731.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 70
Drives fine, airbag light on, garage say they'll fix that and mot it before collection.
No idea on injectors so probably need to budget for them to be done soon.

Rich, ask them to steam clean/jetvwash it, so you have a clearer idea to the extent of the rust, before you buy. They shouldnt be selling covered in mud like that anyway, unless its hiding anything.
You will have to do it anyway if purchased so you can treat all of the rust and underside, to get it to a reasonable standard, and not get worse.
What will they do about the airbag light ? it's no good if they just delete it for a quick and cheap fix that will plague you later on

Not sure if it was actually a recall as such in the UK, but if you get the VIN you can at least see if it was possibly affected by dodgy injector seats and ask if they've been changed.

Can't get the VIN from the reg as far as I know, but you'll need to get it from the car anyway to check against the V5 as usual.

Agree with TM I'd ask for a good clean too or at least go at it with a wire brush - need to be sure exactly what's going on before parting with hard earned!

I own a 90 Colorado and don't know a great deal about 120's but from what I've see and heard I'd leave well alone. Looks and sounds like a money pit!

Given it's just a normal car yard sort of place, are they likely to look at me like I'm crazy if I ask them to jet wash the underside?

I had a poke and it all seemed solid.

Hi Rich, most of these car lot places have a jet wash in a shed around the back where they prep motors. As he said he would fix the airbag light, if he can't do it on site, perhaps he could get whoever does his repairs to jetwash. Its not unreasonable to see what you are getting, after all, if the bodywork had a layer of mud on it, few if any would buy. Just tell him you are aware of the rust issues with 120s and would like a better look. As long as you approach him in the right way, he wont want to turn a sale away, unless there is something hes not telling.
It can be an arduous job to get the 'right one', but everyone looked at will give you more insight.
Don't worry about 90s, they have their own rust issues anyway, look at Stuzbots thread, just concentrate on what YOU find acceptable after what you see, and weighing up everyones comments on 120s that they know. Every motor is susceptible to being a money pit, - 2 years after buying my 120, and aware of the issues, and looking reasonable underneath and initially treating all over, problems arose and I just spent a load of money on mine.
Swings and roundabouts mate. Good luck !

So that airbag light, is not just the connector under the seat, it's the actual airbag mounts. £350 in parts and a few hours of work for someone who knows what they are doing. Involves taking the steering out.

Has happened to four 120s I know of. Am waiting for it to happen to mine.

Air bag light's most common cause is the seat position sensor under the drivers seat, Normally a broken wire.... There is a thread on here somewhere that i did, Its an easy fix........... OR! It could be what GOK says.... But id bank on the broken wire

Back