Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Morocco October 2015

Ok so a reminder on key meeting points

1. Port Solent Tescos 14:30 2nd October - http://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=3055
  2. Meet on the Ferry - if you're late its a long drive to Spain!
  3. Algerciras Lidl Carpark 15:00 4th October
  4. Camping International El Jadida 5th October

For the last 2 there should be a waypoint in the route file I emailed to you all

No! In the gps file I sent there is a waypoint called Algerciras Meeting Point, its there :)

2 weeks to go and I can't wait. Have taken the roof tent off for weight and fuel economy. Until now I always went to Africa on all terrain 275's on steel wheels, (now in storage) for the moment I have mud terrain 285's on oem alloys. Am seriously thinking of putting the at'she back on, just wondering what you guys are doing?

The car without the roof tent and 285 mt's might not look so good but I thnik performance is more important than looks...

thoughts?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Roof tent on. AT's on but get them in 285's. Muds for sand are not the best choise.I personally gave up on weight saving:) For me is 9 days to go or even earlier. My main concern now is the border situation Serbia-Croatia, Croatia-Slovenia...Hungary. It seems they have some problems with the immigrant wave from the middle east and some are closed at the moment. :( I'll sort it out somehow even if I have to travel longer going upnorth.

I only have 265 AT's but they do fine in Morocco although dunes will be a new challenge :). AFAIK non of the desert route is challenging so barring heavy rain in the next couple of weeks it will be plain sailing. The Atlas section I'm not so sure about but I think will be piste with some tar.

New ball joints and clutch arrived today. Ball joints on tomorrow, grease the uj's check fluids and fit ac belt. Then next weekend its clean, ac regas, load and clutch fitted ready for off.

T-shirts arrived ok and look awesome. I'll hand these out on the ferry

Current Weather
Tangier - 30 degree high, 17 degree low. Sunny. rain Thuursday
Essaouira - 31 degree high, 16 degree low. Sunny
Zagora - 37 degree high, 21 degree low, Sunny

Wonderful.

And if anyone ties a pirate jolly Roger to their radio antenna thinking that'll be fun - they can go drive on their own.

At 15000ft I don't think a Predator or Hellfire will distinguish that from another Land Cruiser convoy flying another black flag with white stuff on it ...

:)

I think that ATs should be fine. I have a set which I have just taken off and I'm sitting here wondering why.

MTs in sand aren't bad at the right pressure - the life can act as paddles. I'll be interested to see how my St/Maxx in-betweeners do - have used ATs in the sand and STTs and the BFG ATs were great in dunes.

3 hours into ball joint replacement and not going well. All but 2 bolts off the drivers side and they started to round off. Now I don't have the luxury of a full workshop and even with my fairly comprehensive tool set I have no hex sockets and no means to drill a sheared bolt out of the hub knuckle if it snaps :( And to top it all the ac belt is nowhere close to fitting and I even took the old one into the shop.

Why can't Toyota use decent bloody fasteners?

Look like I'll have to et the garage to do them when they do the clutch

Last edited:
You need to move to Derbyshire mate.

You could leave a few days early and come down south, fit my ball joints and clutch before we go! We'll toss you a slab of bacon every now and again :)

If there was more time I'd have had ago at the bolts but I can't risk shearing one off in the hub this close to leaving. Maybe I shold leave fitting them and find a mechanic there, it'd be cheaper for sure

Definitely need a hex socket to fit more snugly. If rounded Irwin stud extractor or weld a nut on may be the solution.
When I changed these on my old 4Runner I had to drill out one of the bolts... When sheared.
So I got Toyota garage to replace them on my Colorado before Morocco trip, they had to take the hub off to do it on one side as the bolts put a fight...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its in for a clutch anyway so I'll get them to do the ball joints at the same time.

Got everything greased today, checked gearbox oil etc sorted my paperwork out, packed most of my kit ready to load the truck so still ticked off a lot from the list of stuff to do :)

Mate had the van packed and house on the market then suddenly .......

Remembered that I've gone vegetabletarian so have to decline your offer of cured porcine product
I'm gutted too if it helps

Back