Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

On board water tank.

karl webster

Supporter
Guru
So guys. I've got a water tank in the truck that I'm using for camping etc.
the truck has been off the road for some time until recently.

Question for the guys that will know. How do I clean the tank out? And chemicals I'm best to use? Should I be concerned regarding bugs and bacteria once I've cleaned it?

Thanks

Steradent tablets would be my first thought , if they are used for soaking false teeth in i guess they must be a potent bug killer while safe at the same time .

Its ok. Leigionaires only hurts the first time.

Lol. Exactly, that's what I'm bothered about. May just let holly try it a few days before the next trip. At least I'll know if it's ok to drink then ;)

We used to put "Puritabs" in the water tank on a canal trip boat I was involved with.

A quick 'Google' shows that they have been overtaken by 'Aquatabs' . . . .

"What are Puritabs?
Puritabs are an old technology / formulation water purification tablets previously manufactured by Schering Plough. Since the takeover of the NaDCC formulation business by Medentech from Schering Plough, many customers previously purchasing Puritabs have transferred their purchases to Aquatabs. "

I'm sure there is lots on the web about Aquatabs :icon-wink:.

http://www.aquatabs.com/home/product-range/aquatabs-household-water/

Bob.

I use Fernox sterox for cold water storage tanks, not sure how big your tank is for mixing ratios.

I know my dad bought some stuff for his on board water tank in the motorhome so any camping caravan place should have something.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks for the input guys.

My biggest concern was the fact the tank has sat for maybe 3 years with water in it until now.

I'll have a read on the links given tonight. Cheers

Assume its plastic Karl?

In addition to the sterilisers mentioned above - fill it up and agitate the walls with a stick / brush see if you get any unwanted floating bits?

Try Milton tablets Karl. They sterilise all baby stuff. In the babies section of supermarkets so I told :icon-rolleyes: We use them on our plastic tank before use. Cheap too

Karl you could use Milton baby bottle steriliser fluid if its safe for them should be better than ok

X 2 for Milton Fluid. I use it for the caravan water system and water tanks.

Go to a caravan shop Karl. That do a specific product for water storage tanks.

Milton. The only time you get a problem with legionella if it's become warm and then if it becomes sprayed in a mist (shower) and you breathe it in. 60 degrees plus water kills it dead. If you've access to farm type liquid chlorus, you can use a watered down mix of that as a shock dose. Cheap as chips and does the job on swimming pools that have gone green. Milton is only really dilute bleach/chlorus.

Last edited:
You've really no danger of Legionella; I think that was just a joke from Nick. It wasn't a serious thought or shouldn't have been!

Milton. The only time you get a problem with legionella if it's become warm and then you if it becomes sprayed in a mist (shower) and you breathe it in. 60 degrees plus water kills it dead. If you've access to farm type liquid chlorus, you can use a watered down mix of that as a shock dose. Cheap as chips and does the job on swimming pools that have gone green. Milton is only really dilute bleach/chlorus.

This is the thing though Rich.
It has got hot in a car that's been parked up for few years. Then cooled down. This will have happened over and over.
I also have a shower coming off it so it's a possibility we will use it for that.
I'll buy a few of the chemicals and by the sounds of it I need to take the tank out of the truck to inspect it and maybe give it a good few washes.

Please forget Legionella. Don't start reading HSE guidance on this in relation to a water tank in a truck. Remember that this stuff is what I actually do for a living. Legionella develops in 'systems' not in a plastic tank full of water in a car.

You shouldn't really get algae growth in there; not if it's a dark tank. But they can get a bit slimy. If you use the water for drinking then it's a bigger problem but if you always boil it or just wash with it then there's really not a problem.

Typically if the car is driven regulalry and the water sloshes around, it's pretty hard for anything to form and stick to the sides. Worse if the tank is emptied and just left wet inside.

If the tank has been sat I think I would want to remove it and give it a proper wash before use.

Back