Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Peak District Sunday 2nd May

Crispin said:
yup. :D Coming?
Hmm there could be a danger of sharp items being wielded by my wife... Elaborate more on the plans?
Leaving when, staying where etc?

AFAIK, current plan is leaving here at 6, picking up Tony's toy ( :twisted: ) and heading back via peek district lanes somewhere. We were going to stop and chat with Chris but as he is cruiserless, there's not much to talk about. Maybe the door hinge mod on a Defender 90?

No staying over anywhere (planned). It's a mad day trip.

Hmmm that's a long way to go (from SW London) for a day trip... I think I am probably out. If my family has driven me nuts by Saturday evening, I may get in touch but chances are I won't join you...
Plus there is the risk that Chris might hijack my 80 if it rolls up anywhere near his place :twisted:

Andrew Prince said:
[
Congrats on securing Lil Blue - you won't be disappointed with it at all!

Thanks, really looking forward to picking her up :shock:

Congrats!! Hope you enjoy it. Let Chris know when you get the glass sorted out ;)
just kidding :lol:

NIck,s here !

Sorry guys busy this weekend and unable to join in, I've been on many lanes in the peaks, some are real crackers and will test "lil blue out a treat" the only thing with the peaks is that the road status change very frequently, so my advice is that if any of you are members of G.L.A.S.S or simular go on to their wayfinder web site and check out the routes and status before you head out, as the peak's Police are very keen. We've been stopped three times by them during 2009, however providing you appear to be knowledgable about the lanes and recent status and that NO ONE in the party is being silly i.e not sticking directly to the tracks then you should be OK, the other thing they're really keen on are ssti's (sites of scientific interest) so also bare this in mind !
A good one to do is Stanage edge, however there's an agreement that you only do it down hill, theres a good lane at Chinley locally known as the Chinley steps, this is quite trying up hill due to the steps you have to climb, Foxhouse is also nice, not at all difficult, however this may closed at this time of year due to lambing ! One of my favourites is Monsal head, for this this one you drop down the main ride from the pub on the top in to the valley adjacent to the viaduct, over the river bridge at the bottom and follow the lane through the gates up to the top and onwards for a further couple of miles, you eventually come to a gated farm where it ask's you to mind the children playing once through the gates you're met with a "T" junction, if you turn right and go behind another farm building then the lane continues, I was stuck on the second part of this lane in January for about two hours, trying to drive through the snow that had drifted over the stone walls and completely filled the lane and in some places is was about 4 foot deep !!!
The only other thing to watch out for are the ramblers, some of them feel that it's their own land and try their best to obstruct your path, the police told us last time not to engage with them but to call the police as it's them who are breaking the law, Also the climbers on stanage head.
I know this probabally goes against the grain but if you take a look at the land rovers owners club forum, copy and paste this into your search engine, http://www.lro.com/forum/ and look under greenlaning discussions it will give a bit more detail.

Hope this helps, and have a good trip,

Nick.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks Nick lots of good info there.

Unfortunately due to a change in circumstances I will no longer be able to go playing on Sunday. Will still be picking up Lil Blue, but will be coming straight back down again... bummer, but that's how it goes.

Maybe something to plan for the future :)

Bit of a different idea..........
I hear the Northern France lanes are very good, anyone know a good guide?

Paul
I have been thinking along the same idea, must be something pretty close the other side, if not France then Belgium
Belgium does have the advantage of very good beer

Even more different idea.....i have always wanted to tour the D Day beaches and see the atlantic wall

Back