Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

It was f****g minging. So excuse me for wanting to make it a bit nicer to hold! If nice new 24v wheels were easy to get hold of I'd have put one on. But even Karl couldn't source a clean one.

Seriously I hardly think that this falls into the local auto store slip on vinyl cover category. Just been for a spin and it feels lovely. It is sewn on very tightly.

You can't beat getting to grips with a bit of tight leather Chris:whistle: :thumbup:

oooer, or as I like to be called at the weekend, Christina. :eusa-whistle:

HEY, get your own fantasy. This is my thread.

:lol:

You lot can just go boil yer head in a bucket!

I appear to be in a very small minority of 2, but like it. Where did you get it from?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I've heard good things about a guy in the States who does leather work, Redline Goods. One of the guys I know over here has had some bits from them for his Volvo and he's pleased with the quality and finish.

Oh, and on the subject of steering wheels, my 4Runner over here is starting to crack, so that will get a cover soon... On my Volvo I had in the UK it had a chewed up leather steering wheel because of the previous owner's rings (I suspect) so I used to clean it up every so often with leather cleaner (or degreaser...) and it was good for about 5 minutes... damn tan interiors...

Last edited:
OK so not a build upgrade as such although there is plenty to come, I just thought we'd have a pause for some beauty shots of the old bus. Went to Scotland in it this weekend 300 miles either way, straight run and other than the Cruise Control having a few odd moments, it never missed a beat. Comfortable smooth and quiet. Warren, with all that sound proofing you've put in, you might need to record a CD of an engine running just so you know you haven't stalled it! Mine is standard basic and I am sure I could hear the digital clock ticking. Even the new roof set up wasn't noisy.

One important job is to lower the bump stops. And then replace rear inner axle seals. I am making a tool today so more on that later.

Maybe one of these shots might get in next year's calendar?

P1010503.JPG
P1010501.JPG
P1010500.JPG
P1010499.JPG
P1010498.JPG
P1010497.JPG
P1010496.JPG
P1010495.JPG

Looks smart Chris, I like it! :thumbup:

Whats on the bullbar tubes? Looks like tape? :think:

It is mate, masking tape. As I am still at the build stage, I am constantly grabbing the bar to get up from underneath, or leaning over it etc etc. So it's just to stop me scratching it to bits. Well spotted!

Chris

It's looking good Chris. It's nice to get off tarmac makes all the hard work worth it.

Has the mpg suffered with gear on the roof?

Well on the way up I pushed on a bit plus there was traffic and I only got 22 mpg Gary
On the way home I came down the East coast with cruise set all the way. Not topped up yet but for same miles it looks to have used quite a bit less and that was supermarket juice too.

Nice pics, and nice looking truck CJ... Have you painted the wheel arch extensions???? Arf arf.
Talk to Marius about his HLJ mount. I think he had the same arrangement as yours, he has an interesting story to tell.

Glad to see you're out and about and using it as intended. BTW where do you keep the Vanilla?

Ha ha, very good. I have a special cubby box for keeping the vanilla in.

I shall ask M about hi HLJ event whatever that was. Don't recall his being similar to mine.

Yes, I painted thew wheel arches back to the original colour seeing as you didn't like them.

How was your bike ride? Got all the flies out of your teeth yet?

looking good chris.
Can I have a photo of the swing out so I can see the high lift arrangement please, Is that a 4 or 5 footer? Why did you put on the near side? going to be starting mine soon so looking for some inspiration.

stu

Five foot. On the inside so it can't be nicked when carrier is locked and so you don't have to remove it to get wheel off if you don't need to

Simple really

Its just when I held the 5 foot in place its was going to stick up above the roof line which I didn't want and yours even seems to be at a steeper angle then mine was.

I'll stick a pic on for you Stu. It's 5 foot trust me. The four foot won't lift the truck off the ground. I have two of them. One is the new Extreme version. Mmmmnnn.

It is below the roof line but now also has the shovel on there and will have a light on top!

Back