Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Ta Ben. I have dropped it in today and will start the clamp tonight. it's not going to need much, it fits really well. I'll post it to you. If you can have it plated and bring it back in July that'd be great. Ha ha

Been a bit of a wiring frenzy today in between the downpours. Just about there.

Started with a chunk of steel plate and got going with some milling Action. More on this later.

But this groove

Milled plate 2.jpg

fits into this cut out

Milled plate 1.jpg

like this.

Dry run.jpg

Quite a bit of milling later .....

OK, it was dry for a bit so I headed outside. Got the main feed from the fuse to the CTEK laid in.

Main supply.jpg

Got most of the main cables in, with just a bit of tying back to do against the tray.

Spag junction.jpg

Had to retreat again, so busied myself with fitting outlets. I wired in some cigar lighter sockets and USB charging points. Plus a little LED voltmeter. Which if nothing else lets me know the power is on.

Connections.jpg

All these go through the Blue Sea switch panel.

At this point I remembered how much I hate cigar lighter sockets. OK in about 1970 they were a revolution but in 2014, come on. So I cut the plug off the fridge and hard wired it straight into the switch. Ahh, before you say something, I have a spare lead. I raided VWP the other day and bought little sleeved grommets and all sorts of bits. Nice tidy finish and it can't be yanked through.

Fridge outlet.jpg

Next job was to start at the other end and get ready for the battery going in.

Fixed the shunt to this handy strut and connected the chassis earth.

Shunt.jpg

Now this bit I am pleased with. There must be 34 ways to fasten the battery down. But this came to me. The first plate is bolted to the drawer carcass and the second top plate hooks underneath. The end of the plate has a hole with the bolt running down to a turnbuckle hooked through a big stainless ring (actually a staple from a hasp and staple) bolted through the floor pan. The tension I can get on that is so much, I actually backed it off a little in case I cracked the battery case! That battery is going nowhere. It was pretty captive to start with but now. It's fixed.

Clamped!.jpg

Off road tomorrow, but on Monday I should get the power on. It's progress. Need to fasten the inverter in, but at least the cabling is in for that over on the other side.

Battery from above.jpg

Looking good Christopher :icon-smile:

Like the battery clamp :thumbup: Wonderfully over engineered :icon-biggrin:

Over engineered? Not when it's on its roof in a ditch. 27kg battery on the loose. I prefer 'up to the job'

Whoo hoo look at the pwetty lights.

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 19.57.26.jpg

Last cable in and fixed. Found some really grippy reusable cable clamps in Maplin. Very good for this sort of thing.

Unit lights up

Switches powered

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 19.58.02.jpg

Victron..Victron.. Christ knows but it's doing something.

Screen Shot 2014-05-25 at 19.57.43.jpg

I put a small LED voltmeter in the cabin too, just as a simple reference when looking at the units from the back seats. It's powered from the unit and not from the battery - read 14.5 immediately I fired up. After a minute or so, the other split charge came in and it dropped, within a couple of seconds, the units boosted that back to 14.5.

Right, well as long as it doesn't catch fire ......

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looking good Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Andy. None of the lights are flashing which seems to be a good thing. Not that I quite know that the lights (that aren't flashing) actually mean. Some I get, but actually having to read the manual just now.

I know I know, sorry. But it's not obvious. I promise not to read it very thoroughly.

Wait until you add a solar panel
Then you get all sorts of lights going off and on as clouds pass by ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice work Chris, looks fab.!
Good excuse for a trip, to test it all out.

IQ

Last edited:
Thanks Chaps.

Yes Pete, see that, been around for some time. Not quite sure what you mean though. Not suggesting I buy it are you?

Yes the roof box is great. Really good storage and it's the perfect width for everything I have tried in it! Bonus.

Neat and tidy.
Looking forward to seeing it up close at some point.

Yeah, err, but not TOO close Gary.

Bank holiday update. Well there's nothing on the telly so someone has to provide the entertainment.

Didn't get everything done today that I wanted. Eldest decided to have a birthday today which took time. That eat into more important time. Sheesh. 19? Not like it was a special birthday.

OK. First job was to erect the M*A*S*H shelter. Mobile Awning Sheltering Hindquarters as it kept pissing down.

Hissing it down.jpg

Next I moved the little wing (prize for spotting the song in there) on the passenger side in by 30 mm.

Move panel.jpg

The nearside cavity is useful but not sure what for exactly. So I shoved the inverter in there. Now just what the hell do you want an inverter for? Many people fit them and probably never use them. But my vehicle is very multi functional and believe it or not, things like an angle grinder for me are really useful things. Yes I could buy a cordless one. Not sure how I'd charge it though. Oh yes, with an inverter. Hmm. I need to cut through padlocks, wire fences and gate hinges and whatnot. So I put it in. It's my truck so there.

Sneaky peaky.jpg

At Donnington this year I picked up some LED lamps. One to go on a pole on the wheel carrier and one to go under the awning for sitting out and smoking cool healthy cigars. They are kinda neat as they come with a remote control. I decided that here was quite a tidy place to put the units. They have manual control on the box so from the kitchen area, working them will be easy.

Panel.jpg

Ooh bright lights.jpg

OK short build break here....

If you do this sort of stuff you will inevitably be cutting cable. Lots of it. Not wire, but cable. 25, 35, 40 and 50 mm. You can hacksaw it or cut it with a disc like I do. But yesterday I bought these in Maplin. Zut Alors. They are utterly megatasic. If you don't have a pair then get some. They are so good you can actually trim 1/2 mm of the end of a cable. It leaves it square and un crushed. Where have they been all my life?

Dog's bollocks.jpg

OK back on message.

Oh, that's it. All day to do that? You can't rush quality you know. I wanted to get the cable through the roof today, but in this weather it just wasn't on. Hit a few snags on the way today which as many of you know really sap time. If it went right first time every time then I'd have been done by second breakfast.

Time for a lie down and a dry out.

Great for pruning rose bushes too... I have a smaller set.
What do you use for crimping those large diameter cables Chris?
I saw a smaller crimping and cutting tool but nothing for battery cables.

IQ

I have a set of small hydraulic crimpers with several sets of different sized jaws. They were bought for a one off job really but have been going for years. I buy lugs in bulk right across the size range, but this project has really depleted stocks so I shall have to pay a visit to VWP soon.

It's like this and has been perfect every single time. I paid about £22 IIRC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDRAULIC...ls_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item45ff95eef0

Back