Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Great work there Chris, envious of your eye and hand for detail :oops:

I'm not sure what it's all for but I am sure well find out soon enough!

Sorry about the weather you've had to endure, and I won't post another weather record for Bucharest, that would be too cruel, neither will I casually mention temps like 29C or the fact that it's still 20C whilst I'm posting at 11:30 in the evening... Too warm for comfort...:whistle:

Sorry about the weather you've had to endure, and I won't post another weather record for Bucharest, that would be too cruel, neither will I casually mention temps like 29C or the fact that it's still 20C whilst I'm posting at 11:30 in the evening... Too warm for comfort...:whistle:

Clive. . . . :eusa-naughty:

Just catching up with this thread CJ...

Coming on nicely indeed. Glad you've got the Victron installed, but what was the rational of installing it in the rear where you can't see it whilst on the move? I assume you've hooked it up not just to your auxiliary battery but also main battery?

Like the snazzy battery clamp too!

Not a lot going on at the second and I know you'll all be desperate for news ......

Going to be a clutch change so, so that'll be fun. In the meantime, I fitted this yesterday. Was going to have the TyreDog but read reports about poor back up. TyrePal at least have somewhere in the UK. So here it is. Works perfectly. And gives you something to do on long journeys.

Screen Shot 2014-06-15 at 16.18.34.jpg

On setting it up, it showed my that my pressures were all different and actually a bit low at the front. Remember these are pretty big at 315.70.17 and being soft means they float about a bit. Went up from 36 to 48 on the front and it's been transformed. Much more positive feel and ride seems good too.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do the sensors fit on the valve stem or inside the tyre Chris, if they are on the stem how secure are they?

Last edited:
They go on the valve stems Chas. They're sort of Fruit Pastille sized. I'm not off roading this one so there's no potential for damage really. You can add spare wheels or even trailer tyres to the set up too. It's nifty, it's a gadget and it's MINE! Ha ha.

Pretty secure Chas. But not theft proof. They have a small grub screw to secure them to the stem. Casual theft would be unlikely/ You'd have to come with the key. There are several grub screw holes and spare screws. You could put two grubs on each stem. It would certainly slow someone down. But I wasn't going to be put off buying one just because there are thieving scum bastards in the world.

Last edited:
Time for a little update.

Today I swapped out the AC drier in readiness for a re-gas. No worries there. All done through the headlight hole.

Then I got the new sub tank into place. Been fiddling around after work all week and just needed to get across the line.

These are the straps. Thanks to one very kind member on here for sourcing them. Not cheap. I am not sure I'd use them again.
P1010549.JPG

On the foreign versions there is a captive nut in this 'ole. But over here you have to put on in yourself. It is an utter, complete and total twat of a job. I kid you not. Managed the near side one but the off side defeated me. See the corrosion? Well that gets sorts a little further down the page.

P1010550.JPG

Oh yes, I did try every trick in the book. I even had a Rivnut tacked to a bar at one point but the hole just kept getting bigger.
P1010551.JPG

So what I did in the end was make a up a plate with the Rivnut in one end to get the location, and bolt it in using another Rivnut into the cross member. The trick is to put a stud in (not a bolt) before you put the Rivnut in place. There is a hole in the top of the cross member but it doesn't quite line up with the hole above.

P1010552.JPG

The other end of the straps is easy.

P1010553.JPG

And there's the tank in place.

P1010554.JPG

After that, I pulled the tank out, got the needle gun and angry grinder with the knotty brush on and went mental for half an hour. Gave it all a good fettle. Then sprayed it whilst it was fresh and warm with RC900 Dinitrol. Wow it looks a million times better. I then have some paint to go on top. So that was the morning done!

About time you got that tank fitted :whistle:
See what you mean about one being a sod to get to!

Are the rivnuts strong enough to hold weight of a full tank of derv?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes. They're 10mm and squashed in tight and the wheel carrier goes back underneath too so it can't fall out

Starts to fit the dual filler neck when I ran into the dreaded tinworm

Spent the afternoon patching some pretty big holes. Still they're done properly now and good to go

Last edited:
Nice work Chris, a worthwhile mod. I have an aux tank on the Discovery and 105, both have been very useful, giving more of a safety net when travelling far.

Seeing as the 80's body and chassis were designed to take that tank its a great use of the space. The aux tank on my Discovery has been a fit and forget mod, as it acts as a header tank for the main, you don't need to select it at all, or transfer it into the main. The fuel gauge just moves very slowly or if your driving long distance you can actually watch the fuel gauge drop a needles width, then go back up a needles width as the two tanks balance out.

The peace of mind from increased fuel range is well worth the effort.

Walked through its MOT today. Only thing the really said was Wow impressive brakes and I think it needs some Waxoyl treatment!

No soot or anything on the emissions test. We're running clean and green now without the EGRs. Still don't think it has quite the pep that it had. We'll brim it before France and take a reading.

Took both Cruisers to be re gassed today. The GS because we're going to France in it and the VX because it's Lincomb tomorrow. No leaks on either one with their new condensers and driers. Both ice cold. Brrrrrrrrilliant.

New clutch on Monday. Got the one from Milner. Genuine Valeo kit. Impressive 5 spring plate. With double springs. Defefinitely slipping now under load and release bearing not sounding good. Also going to put the 100 series box in at the same time. Flingers clossed.

Good timing with the current heatwave. Enjoy your chilled cruising!

What heatwave? It's a con to get people panic buying everything from cold drinks and bikinis to BBQs and cabriolets. Complete croc.

It's not that warm here, grey skies and been raining this morning. Can't see me needing the AC on cold that's for sure.

So are we to expect pics of you doing your clutch/gearbox wearing your new mankini Chris?

P.S. Don't forget the suncream, though white grease is good alternative.....or so I've heard! :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Chad, what you do in your own time is your business mate. I'm still struggling with this pantyhose.

Knew it was too good to be true. Just been loading up the green one and there's gas and green oil pissing out of the drier. F**!

Damn seals have gone. Another £50 up the sh****r

Back