Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rear spring coils

Paulgeert

Country Flag
england
Hi all

Need advise on where I can get rear Spring coils. But it need to be able to deal with a constant added weight of about 600-700 kg for my over landing trip.

I'd suggest speaking to Chris at FNB. I needed the same spring range and I bought EFS Extreme. They've been superb. I personally wouldn't consider anything else now. Yes you're going to pay, but why pay twice when you find out that the cheaper options available let you down?

Hi Chris

will need something quick as I'm leaving the UK in a few weeks time.

If those don't suit you, just know that my FNB suspension came from Oz in 4 days.

So Chris came back with the following advise for those who got the some problem:

"The following is based on a 50mm lift, but if your ride height is more or less, then this info changes.

At 500kg the EFS spring part number TLC-113HHDE will maintain a ride height of around 50mm, but extra load will have to be supported with airbags internal to the coils.

At 700kg you may find there is still some sag potentially, and the constant bouncing around on rough tracks will render them worn out by the end of the trip.

You would also need to run firm valve shocks to control the load as well. You would need to run the EFS XTR shocks part number 37-6001.

However when back home and empty you will feel like its propped up on bricks, so maintaining some load will be a constant requirement."

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mine isn't a daily drive and remains fully loaded and fuelled at all times ready for the apocalypse. or a weekend camping which ever comes first. I have the springs and dampers but no air bags. Three people, trailer hitched up and the vehicle stays level. It's done over 10K miles now including Morocco and still stands tall and square.

Chris did a fantastic job of matching my requirements. If you need something quick for one trip which would then give you breathing room then you might not go to those lengths just now. It depends on your longer term plans I guess.

I know JV runs the Slinky and his truck is certainly an impressive ride.

You can look at OME 864 or OME 868 springs. OME 864 is constant +400kg and the 686 is constant +600kg. Old Man Emu is a brand from ARB and has a good reputation.

You can look at OME 864 or OME 868 springs. OME 864 is constant +400kg and the 686 is constant +600kg. Old Man Emu is a brand from ARB and has a good reputation.

Scuse me, is that a typo?

Should be "... and the 868 is constant + 600kg..." I think....

Nice to see some one with the same name. The 868 is mostly used in armoured cruisers I believe.

Is this why the 100 went to in AHC and in car adjustable shock adjustment?

How do the EFS coils and shocks look after being assaulted by road salt and slush and rain ?

So far Andy better than anything I have had in the past. Ironman use semi-skimmed milk I think as that washes off in under 10 seconds. They have to be the worst. OME are odd; like they're made in different factories. I've seen some after many years and many miles that still look very good and others that look like scrap. But better than any Ironman. I guess it's hard to find a coating that will flex as much as is needed on a spring. It's a big ask.
The EFS have done really well. They're staring to flake a little in places now and once that starts it's a slippery slope. However, their performance has not tailed off at all. I still hit the occasional hidden lump and my brain screams 'Brace for impact' and the springs just float me over with no drama. They've had some quite hard use I guess and if all they had done was the school run, they'd probably still look new.

Wow travels from Australia faster than a son wanting to visit his dying mum and would look brand new if it hadn't been used , must be good :?

Well I didn't say would look new if it hadn't been used Shayne. I really said look new if not abused.

Sorry Chris i must have had more than half a shandy yesterday and my comment what just sort of jumped out at me from your review :obscene-drinkingdr:

Accepting i will likely end up with an 80 one day i do take an interest in what more experienced members have to say about them and reading back with a sober head you do answer the first question i will always ask about suspension which is how firm a ride is it . No need to brace for impact obviously translates as comfortable which is not really my thing .

I've gopt
Hi all

Need advise on where I can get rear Spring coils. But it need to be able to deal with a constant added weight of about 600-700 kg for my over landing trip.

I've got EFS springs with 400kg constant weight rear springs and like Chris, I'd not hesitate to to reccomend them. Mine are set up with different dampers but loaded or unloaded it's very well mannered.
Cant comment on longevity of coatings etc as frankly its a 'fit and forget' job for me.

No worries Shayne, I didn't take it seriously. Well suspension is a black art isn't it.

My 80 is a lovely comfy ride, but if I took all the kit out and lightened it by a tonne Shayne you'd think it felt like a go-kart. Mine is designed to be loaded heavily. If I had that with hard springs, it would shake itself to bits. No question. Getting the balance between flex, ride, comfort etc has caused people mental anguish. I'm lucky that I specified mine carefully and FNB hit the brief spot on first time. I had OME springs in Lil Blue and with no weight in, I think you'd have loved them. They were rock hard. Once loaded with a winch etc they were into their working range and fine.

Don't know if its relevant but I will be selling the OME suspension off "MUD" anytime soon, the fronts are 850j's but I'm not quite sure about the rears untill they are uninstalled and measured. That is, 4x springs and 4x dampers. These are very low mileage units.

Back