Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

It's a haul after 2 hours on the ferry and i'm not sure how far you guys have to travel from home to Dover so both plans have pro's and cons ?

:think: I have never used the tunnel google says 35 minutes but whats the reality ?

I've been on it twice, 5 years ago and it was about half an hour. My parents went on it the other day though and said there was a queue to come back for the first time as they were actually checking passports and stuff.

The tunnel is really good. Our preferred route due to Lynn and boats not getting on. If over 1.85m high (I think) you get to go in the cavernous coach carriages. It does only take 35 minutes and the whole thing is very efficiently handled. Cheapest crossings are 'off peak' over night at £76 (£171 with trailer) or there's standard fares at £81 for high vehicles with roof boxes each way. You just have to avoid certain ones as these are at full fare of £214 but with 4 departures an hour, no strikes and no weather disruption it's pretty good. Very good in fact.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Folkestone to Calais

Sun 20th August 2017

Standard

Dep 08:36, Arr 10:11 £202.00

Calais to Folkestone

Sat 2nd September 2017

Standard

Dep 12:50, Arr 12:25 £202.00

Vehicle details

Van over 6ft /1.85m
x 1 Trailer

Total £404

I don't want to interfere, but a guy I know (Aura's boss) who does the run regularly, swears that crossing to Dieppe is much quicker, the ferry and the road route after.

I think I posted his route somewhere in the planning stage of the 2016 visit. I'll have a look.

Post #486 in the Romania 2015 thread...

"Just as a matter of interest, a question for all you mapping buffs busy working out routes, my wife's boss regularly drives his greenish and ovalish thing backwards and forwards between Bucharest and the UK.

He has recommended for RO-UK (and reverse):

Bucharest;
Budapest;
Vienna;
Regensburg;
Mannheim;
Netz;
Reims;
Amiens;
Dieppe.

He recommends avoiding Paris (hence the small detour in the above) and for some reason the Dieppe-Newhaven channel crossing.

Does anyone live near Newhaven?

Any comments on the above? Printable comments of course...:lol:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
Clive"

I live near to & have a boat in newhaven, but couldn't fit the trucks on it!!

The newhaven - dieppe crossing is 4 hours, FYI I always use the tunnel , easy & quick with lots of crossings so turning up early / late isn't an issue, and, have never paid anywhere near those prices

A 4 hour ferry trip is quite a regular thing for me and i hate it !

I quite liked the tunnel idea but the price seems like daylight robbery , It was a quick search though so perhaps you can give us some pointers Andy ?

Do we need to book or can we just turn up ? and if you do book for a better price it would be nice to know which website you use ?

Well it's closer by 1.5 hrs but a fair bit dearer. Plus Lynn would not take too kindly to 4 hrs on a boat, no siree!
IMG_1148.PNG

Timing of the cheaper crossing is poor for a good start. Unless it's a Friday night and a campsite or Formula One on the other side. For a full day driving following.

Just got home, I understand Shayne that you've got a long way to go before you get to dover. I Think I might be brave and go over on the saturday morning by train and camp somewhere half way to the First proposed camp site. That way by the time the 3 S'S are out the way and i've packed up you may well be driving past. I'm looking at the price of the chunnel and its £81 each way plus £27 insurance for me, unfortunately the truck is too old for their breakdown cover ( which i used when the beemer broke down in switzerland, got my moneys worth for that, well impressed)
When I drove back from switzerland I was about 3 hours early, about 10pm, stuck my card in the machine, picked the next available train to get on, couldnt find a parking space and ended up getting straight on the train, home by midnight.That was about 6 years ago though.

That's been our experience too Nick. A late tunnel trip and overnight stop over there is beginning to be a bit more appealing.

At the moment i've put that in. Early start to avoid any traffic on the poxy M25 and a late return just incase something happens plus time to stop in belgium for some golden virginia

Travel summary
Folkestone to Calais
Sat 19th August 2017
Standard
Dep 07:50, Arr 09:25£81.00

Calais to Folkestone
Sat 2nd September 2017
Standard
Dep 19:50, Arr 19:25£81.00

Vehicle details
Car over 6ft / 1.85m
Insurance
Travel Insurance
Sat 19 Aug - Sat 02 Sepx 1 Adult
Package total£27.25
Total£189.25

That's nearer the mark Nick. Trouble is Shayne's trailer more than doubles the cost.

As for just turning up NOOOOOO!! Unless you want your wallet emptied. Book early and we just use Eurotunnel.com. https://www.eurotunnel.com/book/m/FareFinder/(0)

However, it is worth looking into a combined hotel and crossing as often this can work out cheaper.

Iv'e just stuck in similar for a boat and i get £107. For me the choo choo wins

Ps, I also use my Tesco club card vouchers, so generally cost nothing, I had forgotten about Shayne trailer adding cost

For me the trip starts when i wake up on the other side of the channel . That's why there is a short hop on the first day of the first plan i posted .

The failed plan on the first Romania trip had me leave home at midnight and drive until tea time the next day .

On the second trip i left home in the morning and drove until about 8pm when we decided its time to look for a campsite in Belgium (i think ?) , your satnav is full of them though many no longer exist !

400 quid is not the end of the world for me its more about dividing the journey to beat fatigue because its no fun when your internal clock is messed up .

Back