Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

Think I'm gonna book it. You all have ten minutes to tell me not to...

For me the trip starts when i wake up on the other side of the channel . That's why there is a short hop on the first day of the first plan i posted .

The failed plan on the first Romania trip had me leave home at midnight and drive until tea time the next day .

On the second trip i left home in the morning and drove until about 8pm when we decided its time to look for a campsite in Belgium (i think ?) , your satnav is full of them though many no longer exist !

400 quid is not the end of the world for me its more about dividing the journey to beat fatigue because its no fun when your internal clock is messed up .
I'm understanding, you've got it worse, M4 properly sucks only to be greeted by the M25.

Yeah but i could do it the day before and sleep in Dover . The main reason i would is because an early start would allow me to make some distance from Calais on what i would call day 1

The google map i posted is proper 7 - 7 - 7 driving which is without a doubt the best way to do it .

I'm not going to say don't book Nick but i'm struggling to remember a service station or somewhere that lends itself to us meeting up on the other side and i can't or at least not for a good few hours from port anyway ?

I've booked it. Shayne, worst case i meet you at wherever the first campsite is on the sunday evening if youre crossing sunday morning.

OK i'm not sure why you think i'm crossing on Sunday though , where the first campsite will be dictates the rest for me .

OK i'm not sure why you think i'm crossing on Sunday though
That was the day of the ferry you posted up.
Either way, ill be in frog first thing ish saturday morning which is as early as i can make it.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just got home, I understand Shayne that you've got a long way to go before you get to dover. I Think I might be brave and go over on the saturday morning by train and camp somewhere half way to the First proposed camp site. That way by the time the 3 S'S are out the way and i've packed up you may well be driving past. I'm looking at the price of the chunnel and its £81 each way plus £27 insurance for me, unfortunately the truck is too old for their breakdown cover ( which i used when the beemer broke down in switzerland, got my moneys worth for that, well impressed)
When I drove back from switzerland I was about 3 hours early, about 10pm, stuck my card in the machine, picked the next available train to get on, couldnt find a parking space and ended up getting straight on the train, home by midnight.That was about 6 years ago though.
After looking at the prices and the convenience of the train I think that's what I'll do. What time are you doing the Folkestone train? if you do the earliest one it's a bit cheaper.

After looking at the prices and the convenience of the train I think that's what I'll do. What time are you doing the Folkestone train? if you do the earliest one it's a bit cheaper.
I've booked this one, early enough so that that hopefully theres no traffic, late enough that i dont have to get up at twat o'clock and early enough to do plenty of driving when on the other side.
Travel summary
Folkestone to Calais

Sat 19th August 2017
Standard
Dep 07:50, Arr 09:25£81.00

Calais to Folkestone
Sat 2nd September 2017
Standard
Dep 19:50, Arr 19:25£81.00

Vehicle details
Car over 6ft / 1.85m
Insurance
Travel Insurance
Sat 19 Aug - Sat 02 Sepx 1 Adult
Package total£27.25
Total£189.25

That was the day of the ferry you posted up.
Either way, ill be in frog first thing ish saturday morning which is as early as i can make it.

A typo error i was only looking for a ballpark price , i have been working to the dates that suit you .

If you went for a lateish crossing Shayne and stayed somewhere the other side then it's a fresh start from there. You've got the longest trip of course and I totally agree on not making it a marathon but an achievable drive.
There's plenty of rest areas on the A16 (if we go that way) to meet up but I wouldn't like to camp at one. They're not that safe for camping really, especially with the migrant situation around the Calais area. Not sure I'd fancy Dover either TBH. It was pretty poor when we last went round after missing our boat due to traffic (A2 is best).

A typo error i was only looking for a ballpark price , i have been working to the dates that suit you .
Ah i see, sorry my bad. I thought you were gonna do the "fun" bit saturday, stop at dover and cross over sunday morning .doh!

Ps. Thankyou :)

Ah i see, sorry my bad. I thought you were gonna do the "fun" bit saturday, stop at dover and cross over sunday morning .doh!

Ps. Thankyou :)

No worries mate as i said earlier i'm sure i could leave right this minute without a plan , i just reckon it could be much more enjoyable with a bit of organization .
Truth is August seems ages away to me so i was only thinking to get the ball rolling towards a plan , and even that's gone tits up already :laughing-rolling:

No worries mate as i said earlier i'm sure i could leave right this minute without a plan , i just reckon it could be much more enjoyable with a bit of organization .
Truth is August seems ages away to me so i was only thinking to get the ball rolling towards a plan , and even that's gone tits up already :laughing-rolling:
Not at all, I'm at the least going to france for two weeks now :)

Your not all there you are ya :lol:

Maybe we should just simplify the escape from Britannia and just decide where we will all meet and sleep on Saturday the 19th of August 2017 .

You've got us thinking about it early Shayne so thank you for doing so. We do need to get the ball rolling and I think Nick has the right idea booking sooner rather than later especially as it's August. We'll have a think as we are flexible. Might try and get across on the Friday night but it's an embryonic thought at the minute. Too busy to think of anything that far ahead really at the minute. Got projects on the go that I've got to trial and improve before road testing them to Romania and back.

Back