Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

I should add that this is my third trip out with my better half who does like hotels pools and pina colada which speaks for itself i guess .
IIRC and Jagermeister too.

You got that right Chas and sex on the beach though i must have missed it while being all exotic and drinking Guinness in the Irish bar which was a happy find in Lanzarote :obscene-drinkingdr:

Clive, just so you know... it was 3 years today since that photo entered your life :)

Really? Bloody 'ell, time is simply whizzing by, it's scary.

Liked it so much I have a copy on my iPad...

IMG_7269.PNG

:lol:

Lovely picture, is that Romania Clive?

Noooo, it was one of Nick's taken in Scotland on his first "overland" north of Watford :lol:

He took it with his iPhone (so he said :shifty:) and I remarked how good it was!

I still think it was a postcard from the local post office, or taken with a £5k DSLR.... brilliant!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just jumping in here as we are considering going on this trip next year if there is one, just how long does it take to get there and whats the norm for overnight stops?

Hiya Andy, I'm sure I've said this before, but it would be great if you can make this trip one day!

I can't comment much on the journey though, I've never done it by road. I do know it's over 2,500 km (1,800 miles) and that's got to be the absolute minimum, in practice maybe more like 3,000 km or more.

My only comment is that kms in Romania will seem more like miles, in distance and speed.

The roads are slow here, narrow in comparison and with slow trucks, hills and twists and turns, it seems to take ages to cover any distance.

A 450 km trip I often do in the truck, can typically take me 7 hrs, averaging near on 60 km/hr, which in the U.K. would usually be miles for kilometers.

So that means from the border with Hungary, you'll need a full days driving to get to our patch. Between the U.K. and the border, you could be clocking almost double that average.

As Shayne has said, the Trans-European motorway (A1 - Autostrada) here is gradually coming together, but there's still major gaps in it. It does help, so don't be afraid to use it.

I think new screens are available Nick.

I hope i haven't put you off Andy truth is we have been wholly disorganized on all previous trips . Generally its been a case of "lets search for a camp" as darkness descends only to find 2 that have shut down 1 is now a roundabout and the next is now a supermarket ! sod it we say lets sleep in the carpark , who knew a coach full of people would arrive every hour throughout the night and we would be back on the road at 5am just to get some peace :icon-rolleyes:

This year i hope we have a realistic and workable plan making 9am to 9pm worst case scenario , and even if we arrive at 9pm we ate our evening meal at a service station earlier so its set up feet up and crack open a beer .

If it goes to plan fatigue really shouldn't come into play at all .

Not wanting to contradict Clive but i think his perspective of Romania's roads is clouded by his regular commute , to and from his place to the border is a leisurely Sunday drive that makes it almost a shame to use the new motorway , being stuck behind a lorry and having to wait 15 minutes for a safe place to overtake is about the worst of it .

Last edited:
I don't mind being contradicted, ME is on a different route to Bistrita, in the North.

I also did Bucharest to Timisoara once in 11 hours... but that was a while ago... :thumbup:

Guys, just got my "bumf" through from adac. Funnily enough its all in johny foreign, am I supposed to do anything with it? Just asking as theres a form with my details on and at the bottom it says Datum which i'm guessing is date and unterschrift which im going for as signature.

You will get lots of magazines and stuff written in gobbledegook i just bin them , actually one arrived today "motorwelt" . You are covered not your car so all you need is a their phone number .

Cheers, got my membership card just wondered what the little form was.

You could always give Adnan a call Nick. I think they usually get their countrymen on a direct debit or such but there would be fees for that from here. Maybe that's what the form was for?

I'll take it to work tomorrow and ask Johny foreigner ( he really is called john and he's...)

I got the Motorweld mag today too. Skimmed through it as meine deutsche ist nicht sehr gut. Found an interesting ad for tough car mats that I'm going to look at on 'tinternet now.

You seem to know far more german than I do, I was never taught it and am pretty crap at french too. Don't even think there was an option for Romanian.

I just have some generic ones that needed trimming down, they do the job

Back