Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

I know Rich is fretting about imposing on our third world compatriot without contributing anything so what do you think Rich shall we help out the poor fella stuck out there in his mansion with a view and super speed internet , its a big antenna maybe we could deliver half each :lol:

I reckon we could Shayne. I did have another in mind as was recommended to me and fitted to my truck but if that one works well on Chas's truck that sounds pretty good to me.

I'll look into it if you like.

You speak the lingo better than me Rich so if you can get the (antenna and a bracket to go with it ?) we can just split the cost if it suits you .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Appointment with Julian V tomorrow for a pre Romania service.
Just got home from Julians house, full service plus a couple of small jobs, one of which was fix my inverter which wasn't playing, IT WAS A BLOODY FUSE I didn't check first :angry-screaming: while the wheels were off Matt noticed a small nail in the tyre so he pulled it out and pssst, puncture, so he rolled it over to the bench when he got there no air leak :think:the OKO tyre sealant had done its job, good stuff.
Another job done was a plug and socket on the cable feeding the LED bar on the front of the roof rack so when the roof tent and rack comes off in Romania we won't have to chop the cable.

Ahh but why did the fuse blow Chas? :think:
I've got no idea, it was when I tried to use the microwave and found it dead the only thing that's been used on it was the microwave it's a 40a fuse and I don't think the microwave takes anything like that.
Ah hang on! maybe a Romanian river had something to do with it.

You speak the lingo better than me Rich so if you can get the (antenna and a bracket to go with it ?) we can just split the cost if it suits you .

Now then, now then, it's all very kind of you and very much appreciated, but neither of you were listening were you?

My acceptance of a new mast had a caviat, that I would (for the first time) pay for it, I have to contribute something to my CB kit!

I can't imagine how you'll carry it, maybe roll it in with the fox wing Rich, it's huge.

I've got no idea, it was when I tried to use the microwave and found it dead the only thing that's been used on it was the microwave it's a 40a fuse and I don't think the microwave takes anything like that.
Ah hang on! maybe a Romanian river had something to do with it.

Stands a chance Chas, I'm surprised anything on your truck works after that episode :lol:

I can't imagine how you'll carry it, maybe roll it in with the fox wing Rich, it's huge.
I carry mine inside the car all the time when it's not actually in use, the mount end goes in the passenger footwell and the mast slides through to the back edge of the rear seats, it doesn't get in the way of passengers feet. (mind you I don't have the rear seats fitted, but it should be able to slide alongside them if they were there)

Firstly 'now then now then' has become most un PC of late after the demise of a certain broadcaster. Second, I haven't been privy to the size of Chas's antenna! I was considering something a little more manageable in the Wallen Modulator. A hand made antenna in production since the 70s and highly regarded by many. I've asked the question of the CB enthusiast who recommended it to me and he said it would work but the pattern would be oval due to where you are mounting it. In other words both you and Shayne have chosen mounting places semi obscured by the truck so if you are behind Shayne for instance, you will get good reception, but if you are in front you will have two trucks in the way of much of your antenna.

Have a look https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152398481915

Your choice if you're payin'
:)

Have a look https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152398481915

Your choice if you're payin'
:)
Aerials need to be of a certain length to match the wavelength they need to be used on, they can be made shorter by using a coil in the base to make up the necessary length. It looks as though that is what's been done with this one but it is still quite long, 165cm, mine has a shorter base and is 200cm and it is more expensive, you pays your money and takes your choice.

Last edited:
I can't for love nor money work out what's complicated about a cb , yet mine's never worked . Eventually i decided all antenna's are the same length and the only difference is how much length is coiled , and where its coiled . Hence i chose a top load coil because it puts most of the wire above my roof while allowing me to keep it short .

The antenna Chas uses is about as opposite as you can get from my choice but is great for low mounting .

Of course i don't have the faintest idea what i'm talking about or else my cb would work but i'm happy to confuse Clive if i can :lol:

I've read that top coil (loaded) antennas are better for low mounting so if you've come to that by using 'Shayne logic' then it looks like you've got it right Shayne. Me, I don't know which is best but what I would tend to go for is the one that works, which is Chas's.

I don't think you can compare these two just by price as one is made by a large company in Italy and shipped through distributors etc. And the other is made by a chap who knows what he's doing and selling directly.

Antenna on 001.JPG

This is why i wanted top load , Chas an Clive mount much lower on the front bumper but the tall whip can reflect off the 80's bonnet and roof . An opposite application of the same principal wouldn't you say .

Roof mount through a drilled stud is the best (hole drilling aside) all other is a compromise of some sort and will be shaded by the vehicle's upper body. Hence if it (Chas's) works in the position Clive has it then my logic is to go with that. It just depends on Clive and his preference for length. :icon-eek::icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Back