Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

I don't know a lot about CB, and I'm wondering if aerials work in 'line of sight' so creating problems when mounted close to car bodywork or if they spread the signal so it bounces off the ionosphere or something like that, all I do know is that mounted on the top of the bull bar it does work well, as there is no bodywork close to the aerial and length helps.

Digressing slightly, what is the difference between an aerial and an antenna? not a quiz, maybe we have someone who does know?

Roof mount through a drilled stud is the best (hole drilling aside) all other is a compromise of some sort and will be shaded by the vehicle's upper body

Thing is I want to leave mine on permanently , I grit my teeth and hope for the best when I test driving through the carwash :pray:

Digressing slightly, what is the difference between an aerial and an antenna? not a quiz, maybe we have someone who does know?

Without looking into it Chas I would guess it results from sales patter as in the antenna came first but now we have the new amazing 10 times as powerful aerial for only twice the price . CB followed later and likely stuck with the original description to differentiate themselves from what by then had become the norm . Guesswork of course so someone may still enlighten us .

Thing is I want to leave mine on permanently , I grit my teeth and hope for the best when I test driving through the carwash :pray:

Without looking into it Chas I would guess it results from sales patter as in the antenna came first but now we have the new amazing 10 times as powerful aerial for only twice the price . CB followed later and likely stuck with the original description to differentiate themselves from what by then had become the norm . Guesswork of course so someone may still enlighten us .

Mine has a screw thread and socket so is easily removed for 'car washes' I have mine removed at all times except when needed for communications, mainly to stop it getting nicked.
I'm sure you can get adaptors for most if not all aerials to allow them to be removed.
What you say about the naming sounds logical to me.

From my own logic, I might suggest an aerial is for receiving only, like a radio. Antenna transmit and receive. I didn't read this, just my thoughts.

As for length and mounting position, I won't have a roof or rack mounted, because I know it will be ripped off in no time.

The shorter one I have on the bull bar now, has survived all sorts of abuse, so I imagine a longer one mounted in the same place has a better chance at survival there, than on the roof.

The 80 as we all know, has a huge bonnet, perfect for ground plane, despite the shadow of the higher roof behind it. On the logic that's buzzing around, it stands to reason that a longer (taller) antennae will not only get ground plane from the bonnet, but some advantage from the roof as well.

So after all that, I'm quite happy to pay for a long one, I can take it off if it's in danger of damage when not using it, and when we're all together, I'm hoping at the least, that we can talk amongst ourselves when tootling along.

There's often times in transit when I'd like to point something out en-route, "Tom Jones' house on the hill on the left" and "Barbra Windsor used to live in the village on the right", you know the kind of stuff. It would be great to have that at hand.

So it's a go on the 5m whip, I'll put a red LED on the top if it's too long, just to be safe from low flying aircraft, and I'll take my chances whether it works or not.

I'll even buy you guys an ice cream. :lol:

Out of curiosity, do your bull bars have mounts already on them or did you buy something to attach an Antenna?

Radio works by line of sight. Under the right conditions it can bounce off the (troposphere/ionosphere?) and the ground.

An Antenna is the correct name. A bit like a lamp is called a lamp because you plant bulbs in the ground.

:)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Out of curiosity, do your bull bars have mounts already on them or did you buy something to attach an Antenna?

Mine's an ARB Nick, and they come with mounts already part of the bar, located on the top of the hoop, which is just about at bonnet level.

There's 2 to suit R or LHD. The antenna simply screws on, after cleaning off the powder coat of course, to get a good earth connection on the mast base.

I have a TJM winch bar that does have a place for mounting antennas.
One thing about the Antenna I've got is you also need a dedicated type of mount for it which obviously is an extra cost IIRC about £13/14

Last edited:
20170722_104517.jpg
Mine has a place for spots in the middle and holes for limb risers but no place for a wibbly wobbly

It's from some dodgy place in eastern Europe actually!
15008368696961512520769.jpg
Unless a dome mount fits in there and the bendy bit of Chas's type of Arial makes it through the gap as the bar is directly above. I might just stick with my handheld until ive done some more research. Still trying to limit the spending this side of the holiday.

Last edited:
I already have a spare mount of that type Chas. The Chas version antenna it shall be. I also have the plug for underneath and a big Earth strap wanting a home should it be needed.

Better get it ordered then. :)

I already have a spare mount of that type Chas. The Chas version antenna it shall be. I also have the plug for underneath and a big Earth strap wanting a home should it be needed.

Better get it ordered then. :)

The weak point on the Chas aerial is the bit where you can adjust the angle, I have replaced that bit on mine with a stronger piece from Jon W, I don't know if he can do more, it changes the adjustable bit for a solid bit, much stronger but you do lose the adjustability.

I think I know what you mean Chas but it's probably worth seeing how Clive gets on with it. Personally I'd sooner have mine bend than rip something off.

I think I know what you mean Chas but it's probably worth seeing how Clive gets on with it. Personally I'd sooner have mine bend than rip something off.
It wouldn't do that, the whip is much too springy, it will bend first, but the base bit that I replaced, if it got hit by a sturdy branch or the like would probably break.

It wouldn't do that, the whip is much too springy, it will bend first, but the base bit that I replaced, if it got hit by a sturdy branch or the like would probably break.

I thought the one I have would have broken before now Chas, but it has survived so far.

Maybe there's a way to reinforce the elbow bit... :think:

Back