Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

The side step is almost back to its original shape thanks to Nick's special gift of weight, expertly applied.

Slight confession, Shayne and I shared the antenna purchase in the end, but it doesn't matter really.

Hope Ana had a great birthday, I'm sure she must have.

No doubt we will hear about the (most recent) car park barrier from Chas in the fullness of time. :doh:Oh Chas! :violin:

Shayne is hatching a plan to make the Transfagarasan part of the inbound journey which seems a pretty good idea to me. I do have to take my hat off to him for planning the stops on this trip which have worked superbly IMO. Thanks for that Shayne.

Back through the tunnel this evening after a mooch round Bruges, chocolates will probably be purchased. :) Then its hit the ground running tomorrow.

Dry out tent
Unpack
Build drawers for work stuff
Load with work stuff
Start on the backlog of jobs.
Etc
Etc
Back on the hampster wheel!

Well, many thanks to both of you for the antenna!

It was rather ironic that you Rich, had the weakest signal (on the receiving end anyway) till almost the last day, when you found a better EU setting on your transmitter.

I'm going to make a stowing "place" in the truck for it, not sure how yet, but it's a bit like a tank aerial and may attract more undesirable attention on the street than the shorter one did before.

Chas' episode was a simple mishap, the car park was chock-a-block and we had to wait for a space to come, before it would issue a ticket. He had stopped 1/2 a car's length from the barrier (to give himself space to walk around the truck because from the RHS you can't take a ticket) and the attendant asked him to move forward because the cars behind were blocking the roadway. He did, but caught the throttle with his foot when he braked (bloody autos) and the bull-bar caught the barrier, just one of those things that shouldn't happen, but did. The guy was demanding 200 Euro's, which was a rip-off, but I managed to negotiate it down a bit (not enough for my liking) but he was threatening us with the police, and although I wanted to call his bluff, I thought our case was a bit weak.

That's it, s**t happens, as we all know very well.

It was a Saturday, and the place is hell up there at weekends, I should have known better than to go.

Nice run though. Shayne did do well with the route planning, I must admit. The Transfagarasan is a long way whichever way you plan it, but wrapping it into the inward bound journey would be a good idea.

Last edited:
"Comarnic 2017- the 'S**t happens' tour"…?

Indeed, I was pee'd-off with my "dink" in the rear panel, before you'd even arrived! That coincided with me finding out my rear locker wasn't working, so it wasn't a good start for me, either.

"S**t" does happen, but we overcame all the events... enough said... maybe...

I had forgotten about your ding. Maybe your bodywork guys can use their ironing skills after they've exercised them on Chas's truck. :)

I never did get around to the poor Earth on your passenger side rear bumper repeaters. With the tyre in the way the indicator is not always visible and the repeater goes out when you brake.

Rich, highly recommend the chocolate line.

And a trip to 'bottle shop', just off the market sq ( grote markt) - they have a huge huge selection of beer at fair prices.

google has started doing its thing...
20170828_134611-PANO.jpg 20170824_144915-PANO.jpg 20170829_113028-PANO.jpg
Doesn't Shaynes truck look tiny?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rich, highly recommend the chocolate line.

And a trip to 'bottle shop', just off the market sq ( grote markt) - they have a huge huge selection of beer at fair prices.
Yes KB, we always look in the window of the Chocolate Line for their latest creation but go on to Dumon. I think we've bought from the bottle shop before but just got some Zot this time as they had a good price in Carrefour.

132443-e83ea14d4fbe56fcf8e1f7bc8940569e.jpg

Doesn't Shaynes truck look tiny?

I parked a fair distance behind you out of consideration , as we know bits tend to fall off your old bus so i didn't want to run over them :whistle:

5 hours of good Brit weather has my truck more or less clean again but we are home and safe after an uneventful day , the only thing of merit i can say is 280 pounds worth of tobacco on the ferry can be bought in Adinkirke for 204 Euro , either way we had plenty of tobacco on this years trip which made it a shame to learn nobody in Europe sells Rizla as far as i could tell :)

The outward bound trip panned out quite well i think but i feel using the same camps on the return journey added unnecessary driving hours me thinks and so needs a plan of its own for future trips .

As always many thanks to Clive for putting up with us all and even more thanks to Owra (its finally sunk in that's how you say it so that's how i'm going to spell it from now on!) for putting up with and taking care of us all - most especially Clive , i really don't know how she does it :clap:

I parked a fair distance behind you out of consideration , as we know bits tend to fall off your old bus so i didn't want to run over them :whistle:

5 hours of good Brit weather has my truck more or less clean again but we are home and safe after an uneventful day , the only thing of merit i can say is 280 pounds worth of tobacco on the ferry can be bought in Adinkirke for 204 Euro , either way we had plenty of tobacco on this years trip which made it a shame to learn nobody in Europe sells Rizla as far as i could tell :)

The outward bound trip panned out quite well i think but i feel using the same camps on the return journey added unnecessary driving hours me thinks and so needs a plan of its own for future trips .

As always many thanks to Clive for putting up with us all and even more thanks to Owra (its finally sunk in that's how you say it so that's how i'm going to spell it from now on!) for putting up with and taking care of us all - most especially Clive , i really don't know how she does it :clap:

I don't know either Shayne, it's one of life's sweet mysteries... :lol:

As said, it was our pleasure mate, as always.

Good to see Helen's still keeping you in check.

The 90 is looking very smart now. With its new high-heeled boots, it's almost as tall as a real cruiser...

You just need a couple of extra doors and nobody would be able to tell... :lol:

I think I'd better shut up now, before I get into real trouble.

I had forgotten about your ding. Maybe your bodywork guys can use their ironing skills after they've exercised them on Chas's truck. :)

I never did get around to the poor Earth on your passenger side rear bumper repeaters. With the tyre in the way the indicator is not always visible and the repeater goes out when you brake.

I'm sure he'll pull that back into shape in a jiffy. He's going to have loads of practice on Chas' truck, it will seem like a gift to him after battling with that lot:lol:.

I'll ask him to check out the wiring while he's t it. His cousin (who has a modded Trol and works there) is pretty good with lectrickery, so I'll give him a shot at it.

it's almost as tall as a real cruiser...

So that's why i was the only one who couldn't park on level ground here

upload_2017-9-3_21-45-10.jpeg

I bet it took you ages to pace the ridge searching for a spot that wouldn't let my truck over shadow you all :lol:

I should thank you for the loan of your flask as well , every cup tastes better when i think of you wandering around Ikea searching for another and cursing me while you do it :laughing-rolling:

Ps. Totally awesome trip, thanks for having me Clive, Aura and Ana.

maybe if you stuck it on some 33's it would look better? :)

Maybe i should have paid heed to Toyo's guidelines which state max rim width 9" but then i might have ended up with that pram wheel look you see on some 80's :whistle:

Arrived back home at 9-10pm safe and sound in the weeing rain, just to prove we are home!
Mostly unloaded after a straight forward journey home except for a 20 minute delay to both our check in and departure at the tunnel. Much raiding of the shops in Bruges went on with chocolates, clothes, shoes and Zot beer in the back plus a raid on Dille and Kamille which no visit to Bruges is ever without. Credit card now up to the limit! Fill up with diesel to do in the morning to complete the picture before I start being pulled from pillar to post again once people find out I'm back.

A most enjoyable trip with excellent company, great food (thanks to Aura and Nick) amazing scenery, castles and caves. The driving didn't worry me or tire me particularly but Lynn would have liked to have broken it up with more visits to places I think rather than doing long days.

Oh, I still haven't heard from Garmin about my £50 map update that wouldn't appear on Garmin Express save for a poor fellow who helpfully started the process all over again indicating that nothing had been done. I'm beginning to hate Garmin more each day.

:text-+1:
Many thanks Clive and Aura. Good to meet Ana and Arel.

As said, our pleasure entirely!

I'm back at the office, totally depressed at the thought of a straight run to Chrismas, with only weekends off...

BTW, we came back to Bucharest on Sunday night during a humongous storm, temps dropped from 32 to 18 degrees and torrential rain on a Biblical scale.

Chas' truck is safely in the Phoenix workshop...

Total miles covered 3528
Total diesel consumption 765.97 l
Average 20.94MPG

Varying from 17.2mpg on the autobahn leg. High speed and drag soon taking its toll.
Got the tent open trying to dry it out fully. Just gets dry then it starts spitting. What fun! :icon-rolleyes:

Last edited:
I expect i spent more on diesel than anyone while towing the trailer with a boost leak i only found in Austria on the return journey , Dover is 250 miles from home as well but i forgot to write down my mileage before i left - again ! :icon-rolleyes:

The truck didn't get a look in today as i spent the morning arguing with the tax office who sent me a letter demanding response within 7 days to avoid court a little over 2 weeks ago :doh:

No harm done though and playing catchup with everything else for the rest of the day only served to remind me why i like Romania so much , something of the place must rub off because i didn't even swear at anyone all day :shock: :lol:

Back