Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

Hi again Clive
I enquired about a visit just after joining on here
At the time you were not sure if 2017 would be happening?
Just picked up the thread again, can anyone suggest a ball park figure for travelling to your planet & if we were to join you all, do you all meet for a convoy trip from the ferry?

Hi again Clive
I enquired about a visit just after joining on here
At the time you were not sure if 2017 would be happening?
Just picked up the thread again, can anyone suggest a ball park figure for travelling to your planet & if we were to join you all, do you all meet for a convoy trip from the ferry?

I'm the wrong person to ask really, Roger. I've never done the journey and I'm staying put :lol:.

It's great that you're interested, it's definitely happening and you're more than welcome! At our end it's free to members, but it's a bit of a jaunt from the U.K.

Have a scroll back through this thread and I think you'll find that Shayne has broken the journey down into bite sized chunks, 3 days seems to be the going rate as a mad direct dash, depending on your route and where and how long you want to stay at each stopping place.

If time isn't an issue, I'd recommend taking a week each way (as well as the week with us) but that's your call.

There's some interesting places to visit as you cross Romania, if you do have the time, but they'll take you off the most direct route. Timisoara, Sighisoara and Sibiu are all nice historic towns, for example, worthy of a visit.

We tend to do day-trips from our base-camp (our house :icon-biggrin:) but I wouldn't rule out an overnight camp if anyone wants to go further afield, as long as the weather holds good.

(I'm a devout fair weather camper, with next to no special kit, just a tent :lol:).

Looking forward to getting an affirmative, once you've done the maths :thumbup:

If you have specific questions, I'm sure the others who are coming will give you pointers. It might even be a 5 or 6 or more truck convoy, if that suits you!

Can't help i'm afraid i guessed at £1000 and the mrs looked shocked , she thinks it was far less than that . Romania itself is cheap as chips , so its just 6 days travel costs really - food , fuel and camp fees , if you work it out in real money £'s your likely to come home with change .

I'll talk Aura into getting a big joint of pork, and we'll roast it...

with crackling :lol:

We seem to live on chicken these days, so there'll be plenty of pork, chicken drumsticks and mici.

Look it up if you don't know...
Oo crackling and mici sound good! I'm afraid I normally stick the drumsticks in the bin though. That dam tendon just puts me off them :(

Oo crackling and mici sound good! I'm afraid I normally stick the drumsticks in the bin though. That dam tendon just puts me off them :(

:wtf: next you will be telling us you don't crunch the bones to get at the marrow :drool:

don't think i've ever done that.

will our guide be taking us up her?

Here not her!!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
don't think i've ever done that.

will our guide be taking us up her?

"""""""""""
Here not her!!!

:laughing-rolling: your a star Nick i was fully expecting the vid to be another like your bouncy bimbo archeologist :laughing-rolling:

Don't think i've ever been to the places in the vid yet having watched 8 minutes of it everything seems familiar from our previous trips .

In a word, no. I don't know where the Tarcu mountains are, but I'll find out if they are within range.

I will take you on the ridge-ride close to us though, which is similar and the one that Shayne knows.

There's some video clips if you search for "clivehorridge" on YouTube...

Anything with ridge in the title will be relevant.

Don't forget to subscribe (bloody hell, don't you just hate all that that crap) :icon-rolleyes:

Oh and BTW, chicken drumsticks? You're way too fussy Nick, get 'em down ya neck !

I am subscribed Clive, have been for ages! Think them mountains are a bit of a trek. I go in kfc and order a bucket, no drumsticks. Really dont like em.

What i meant by "familiar" is that the video captures the essence of the place , and may i say in a way not previously shown on the forum .

Great find Nick :thumbup:

What i meant by "familiar" is that the video captures the essence of the place , and may i say in a way not previously shown on the forum .

Great find Nick :thumbup:
It just popped up on my youtoob page, but yes, up in the middle of nowhere looks pretty cool!

the mountains are here
WP_20161006_15_40_44_Raw.jpg

IMG_6587.PNG
Mmmm, the Tarcu mountains are in the triangle just to the right of Caransebes in the centre of this picture.

Drobeta-Turnu-Severin (at the bottom of the triangle) is a good 5 hours from our house, in the south west of Romania. The blue line is the Danube on the border with Bulgaria (east) and Serbia (west). I had 3 projects down there on the DN6 national road, several years ago now.

Edit: not Croatia, Serbia :doh:

Last edited:
What really tickles me is all the tracks actually lead somewhere , they are roads ! Clive will say something like come on we will have to nip to Tesco's , so down the road turn left and a mile on turn right and engage lockers ! half a mile on , pull over for the horse and cart Tesco is around the next corner :crazy:

That's a fanciful description but that's how it feels and you can't do it without chuckling to yourself at the absurdity of it :lol:

I'm gutted they've destroyed the track (my personal Offroad track) just behind the house. :cry:

Back