Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Romania 2017 - Comarnic Visit

I am subscribed Clive, have been for ages! Think them mountains are a bit of a trek. I go in kfc and order a bucket, no drumsticks. Really dont like em.

OK, so it's chicken wings for you then Nick, or sarmale.

Could be worse... :lol:

Hi again Clive
I enquired about a visit just after joining on here
At the time you were not sure if 2017 would be happening?
Just picked up the thread again, can anyone suggest a ball park figure for travelling to your planet & if we were to join you all, do you all meet for a convoy trip from the ferry?

Have a scroll back through this thread and I think you'll find that Shayne has broken the journey down into bite sized chunks, 3 days seems to be the going rate as a mad direct dash, depending on your route and where and how long you want to stay at each stopping place.

3 nights camping with a workable plan is not a mad dash , twice we have managed 2 nights sleeping at the roadside and home on the return journey which is a mad dash . Its a 24 hour drive is all .

What really tickles me is all the tracks actually lead somewhere , they are roads ! Clive will say something like come on we will have to nip to Tesco's , so down the road turn left and a mile on turn right and engage lockers ! half a mile on , pull over for the horse and cart Tesco is around the next corner :crazy:

That's a fanciful description but that's how it feels and you can't do it without chuckling to yourself at the absurdity of it :lol:
Yes, yes, yes!

As it's only 7 more pay days till the off... what do I need?

As it's only 7 more pay days till the off... what do I need?
You get paid monthly then Nick…?
Good question though. A pair of Gullwing doors for a start I'd say. :whistle:

You get paid monthly then Nick…?
Good question though. A pair of Gullwing doors for a start I'd say. :whistle:
Having got the fridge in the back I can definitely see the need for them. Well more so anyway.
I've got as far as thinking
1 chicken wings
2 bacon
3 diesel
4 passport
5 boat tickets
6 some sort of breakdown cover

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I see you've set those out in order of importance. :)

ADAC for breakdown mate home or away its about 80 quid , the AA offers the same cover for about 700 yet if you break down in the UK ADAC will send the AA to you :crazy:

Nick, you've left Beer of the list.
Otherwise, looks like you may have all the essentials covered.

I thought it was just me… :)

Have you considered putting the whisky in something less than a pint glass and adding water?

Might need insurance ( or let your insurer know ). Do you also have all the bits needed for driving in the EU (vest, breathalyser, those headlight shape stickers etc ?)

I thought it was just me… :)

Have you considered putting the whisky in something less than a pint glass and adding water?
Whiskey is for eating not drinking!
IMG_7105.JPG
Used a whole bottle in the last batch so wouldn't all fit back in the ketchup bottle.

Might need insurance ( or let your insurer know ). Do you also have all the bits needed for driving in the EU (vest, breathalyser, those headlight shape stickers etc ?)
See these are the easily forgotten bits.

I'm guessing the rest of Europe is similar, but in Romania to be legal you need:

A fire extinguisher;
A first-aid kit;
2 warning triangles (actually 1 but they're talking about making it 2 and it's safer); and
A green fluorescent vest.

Now comes the rub, the police like to pick on anybody and they are likely to check your "safety" stuff. The local fuel stations sell Legally approved equipment. It's cheap, but the police can be very picky about expiry dates of fire extinguishers and first aid kits.

I'm also not sure of how they will react to a first-aid kit bought in Tesco's or triangles from halfords, so it may be worth checking the interweb for the current Euro-codes or whatever it is they look for. If in doubt, then you could buy it all again after crossing the border.

It costs about £20 the lot IIRC, much cheaper than the fine which may run you in excess of £100.

I would also recommend getting an international driving license if they still do them. That way, if you've been drinking, speeding or accidentally jump a red light, they can't take your license off you, well they can but it will only be the international one, not your real license.

They like confiscating lisences at the roadside for serious offenses.

By the way Romania is zero tolerance on alcohol, so it's no good saying "I had just the one..." 0.01 on the breathalyzer will certainly see your license in his/her back pocket for at least 3 months.

:icon-biggrin:

The post office or the AA can issue international driving permits. But you can only have one at a time. And it must list the name of the country you want to use it in. Unsure if they will do one for a eu country but it's worth asking.

The post office or the AA can issue international driving permits. But you can only have one at a time. And it must list the name of the country you want to use it in. Unsure if they will do one for a eu country but it's worth asking.

But when crossing Europe, you'll want to use it in all the countries you pass through, which is effectively only one, called Europe, no?

Isn't that supposed to be the way it works, like European insurance?

Back