Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Rope / manual winch - what strength to get?

And not much use for changing the wheel. (safely)

I don't like them at all. I was in dire need recently on a dual carriageway and wasted very valuable time trying to use an HL. I would round them all up and melt them down into manhole covers, or maybe Landrover engines.
Hey, each to their own, but I don't think that HLs do anything well. Versatile, sure, but jack of all trades and master of virtually nowt.

I have been in all sorts of clinches and have NEVER thought, 'If only I had a High Lift" but you never know, so I carry one on the roof for that day.

Chris

Jon Wildsmith said:
sae70 said:
Ah well what you need there is a Lift-M8 :D
Ok so long as you have access to the side of the vehicle ;) I can only think of 1 time that would have worked for me as I'm usually in a bit of a tight spot if I need help :)
Chock the front wheels with the two large lumps of wood & jack it up using the tow bar :) And if it's just access to the wheel you're after due to a deep rut then deploy the spade :) If none of this is an option then use it as a winch to pull the truck back & if all else fails get a tow from a m8 :D ;)

Snapped the third link on my rear axle here & would not have had a chance of fixing it without a Hi-Lift or two & my trusty blocks of wood :) Oh & a ratchet strap :)

P5100001.jpg

Chris said:
And not much use for changing the wheel. (safely)
What you need is one of these to make the wheel change safe after using your Lift-M8 to get the vehicle up :)

p43119_l.jpg

3 Tonne folding axle stands :)

I do only carry the one though to help keep the weight down :)

P9240546.jpg

24Seven said:
sae70 said:
Snapped the third link on my rear axle

What's the third link?
The Hiem linkage :)

Got to admit that other than the rather inappropriate place to stop, that looks like a good set up there matey. Nicely thought out. It does reinforce my view that I would carry one, but there are many other things that I would reach for before the HL.

Didn't see anyone at the last Lincomb getting out of stchuuk with a HL jack though.

Handy to have to put into the mix, but it there was one thing that I had to throw out first to save weight, then the HL would be there straight after the Missus and kids. Ooops.

Ankle stands:
I rather feel that they would just sink into the mud. Steve.

Chris

Matt isn't going to be able to rely on having a mate handy with a tow rope, or an extra hi-lift and his truck is going to be significantly heavier than a Suzuki ;) You might want to try winching a laden 80 series sat on its axles with a HiLift before you rely on one. They do have their uses but that's not one of them.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Chris said:
Ankle stands:
I rather feel that they would just sink into the mud. Steve.
Not with my large pc of 18mm ply :) I hope :pray:

P2190194-1.jpg

I'm not trying to diss the lecy/hydraulic winch thing & years ago when I first started off roading it was very high on my list of desirable items but my limited funds never allowed for one so I had to adapt what I had in order to be in a position to recover myself should I need to & this is how I end up with what I have & it's been so long now I doubt I'll ever get around to fitting a winch :) I do like my Hi-Lift & all of its attachments but it does need to be used with alot of respect as they are bloody dangerouse & they do bite on occasion so I try to be thoughtfull & slow when using it & mostly just keep out of its way :) I'm not adversed to being rescued by someone elses winch & have accepted a winch on a number of occasions as they are very easy & powerfull :thumbup: But if I was silly enough to get myself stuck while out alone I'm prety certain that I could get myself out & going again with a combination of my Hi-Lift, waffles, spade & blocks of wood :D

One mans meat is another mans poison :D As they say :)

I have an electric winch now and had a hydraulic before but I still always take my Jetrope 1600Kg handwinch out with me, it's the first winch I bought and it's like my comforter, I don't like to be without it :thumbup: It's had more use than the powered winches combined over quite a few years and it's always been there when I've needed it :mrgreen: Plan to use a winch for winching and a jack for jacking IMO.

Of course, Steve. And we will look forward to watching the demo of you getting through the bottom wallow at the next Lincomb with a High Lift. :lol: :lol: Don't worry we will save you some supper.

I carry as much stuff as I can. You can never have too much. I have been in trouble too many time to dismiss the value of anything.

Chris

Chris said:
Don't worry we will save you some supper
Cheers :thumbup: I'm always hungry after all that diging & hand winching :D

PS - What is the max kerb weight of an 80 series then :?:

sae70 said:
Chris said:
Official/"legal" or what a laden one weighs? :whistle: I think Matt said he expected his to be around 3.5t when he sets off for Africa. I think this is probably a fairly normal number for a kitted or loaded 80. That Zuk looks like it's maybe 1.5t dripping wet :mrgreen:

I agree that if you have nothing else, a hi-lift might do a job but winching an 80 series with one is not going to be fun. After all you're not going to resort to it unless you're very stuck.

Cheers,

sae70 said:
Max legal UK weight is 2960kg (for a 94 auto diesel UK spec). Typical expedition weight is probably 3500kg, some will be closer to 3800kg and a few over 4000kg :shock: Mine was 3500kg without expedition luggage :roll:

Andrew Prince said:
sae70 said:
Chris said:
Official/"legal" or what a laden one weighs? :whistle: I think Matt said he expected his to be around 3.5t when he sets off for Africa. I think this is probably a fairly normal number for a kitted or loaded 80. That Zuk looks like it's maybe 1.5t dripping wet :mrgreen:

I agree that if you have nothing else, a hi-lift might do a job but winching an 80 series with one is not going to be fun. After all you're not going to resort to it unless you're very stuck.

Cheers,

Jon Wildsmith said:
sae70 said:
Max legal UK weight is 2960kg (for a 94 auto diesel UK spec). Typical expedition weight is probably 3500kg, some will be closer to 3800kg and a few over 4000kg :shock: Mine was 3500kg without expedition luggage :roll:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Really :o :!: In that case I'd definetly loose the big heavey lecy winch install to save a bit on weight (probally 125Kg plus) & chuck the biggest Tirfor I could buy in the back with my Hi-Lift as a back up :thumbup: Oh & spare shear pins for both :D ;)

:twocents-mytwocents:
Here's a radical thought - skip the winch.

You're going down the east coast, where there is much less need for a winch. I'm busy reading a trip report of a couple in muddy DRC and they are winchless in their cruiser. Appears all they have are some shovels and waffle boards. They seem to be doing fine so far. :mrgreen:

Sure they have to sweat more but if funds and weight are a concern and if you dont plan on venturing too far off the beaten path then why bother?

Also read of people doing both E & W routes (on HUBB) in LC 80 with no winch. So its possible.

If you can get an electric and a mount for cheap then go for it, it'll give you peace of mind!

I'm going via the muddy west coast route and planning on going with no winch. Although that Draper you listed says its only 12kg so might be worth it as an emergency backup - 1600kg with a snatch block and extra rope..

I speak with absolutely no experience though so feel free to ignore :lol:

They seem to be very conservatively spec'd in my experience so the medium sized hand winch with a pully and spare shear pins is man enough for a laden 80 (or 100 :thumbup: ). My lecy winch feels like about 30 to 35kg, not sure what a 125kg winch would look like :mrgreen: Carrying any kind of winching device leads to adding all sorts of must have kit to support what ifs :lol:

I thought seriously about having a demountable electric winch. Then I thought about where I'd store it and all the times I've used a winch what it would have been like deploying a demountable. I concluded the bumper is the best place to store a powered winch not the boot and a far better plan is to aim to have one both ends :mrgreen:

Twin winches Amen.

I have found the mounted winch useful for all sorts of things not just for pulling out of a hole. OK, using as a washing line was one of the more bizarre, but there you go. I think this is like most things, you don't really know the benefit until you need it and then you think 'Thank goodness for that'. But being a slave to good preparation, I do tend to lug a lot of stuff with me. But then when I have had a problem, I have had an answer.

I was wondering if Ian's new hydraulic winch would be fast enough to give himself a bump start if his starter motor failed! That would be a neat trick.

Chris

Chris said:
I was wondering if Ian's new hydraulic winch would be fast enough to give himself a bump start if his starter motor failed! That would be a neat trick.
Wouldn't it be difficult to run the hydraulic winch without the engine running in the first place? :lol:

Chris said:
I knew Andrew would beat me to the smart answer :)

Sorry, Jon :oops: I'm having one of those days at work where any chuckles are a welcome change! :p

I'm sure Chris will order me back to my box soon :teasing-whipyellow:

Oh come on guys. Wakey Wakey. That would be a neat trick? Huh, neat trick? Oh Lord. :roll:

You know my thoughts on electric V hydraulic. OK, maybe I was too subtle. Although I did actually ask Ian if it would be possible to run a power pack to run the winch separately to get the best of both.

I'll get my coat.

Chris

Back