Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

I have 26th Sept onwards pencilled in for this if it goes ahead.

I've sent a 'day 1' route to Stu to ensure that what I'm doing is interpretable and convertible to GPS as my gps is a 'guiding person (small)' who sits in the passenger seat with a map. Once I know that we're on the right track then I'll continue planning, in detail, an interesting route through Spain and back a different way.

Regards,

It was on telly last night, tabernas, on Build a new life in the Sun!

Yes it was, and thats the storm we got a bit wet in! The Landrover spares guy is 5 mins from here and the b&b last week was in our town again 5 mins away. Didnt see myself even though I drove past the camera and tooted whilst they were filming last year. :)

I did think the guy must be closish to you.

Rodger - do you have a day one start point in mind? I am looking at a route at the moment that is Santander/Tabernas/Guardamar del Segura then up to a couple of stops in France then end at Caen.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Stu is planning to come down and back via France and wants to visit Andorra so I'd suggested a campsite in Andorra that is very near the head of Smugglers' Pass as his way into Spain and then down the Edbro valley on the first day to a campsite (choice of a few) on the Med. Day two I'm intending to take them inland stopping at Cuenca, Day 3 down to the coast around Murcia and then Tabernas. For the return up through Cazola National Park and Sacedon (pic 40 at Sacedon) 140.JPGand I was comtemplating Tulda but the noise of the jets will probably be too much for their 2 year old but onto France through the tunnel that connects with Pau in France. Stu's plan is 7 days down, 7 days here and 7 seven days back. I am waiting to hear if my planning converts to his GPS.
As you know most 'offroad' routes* down here are gravel roads so I am attempting to build at least one section into each day but also give his little one some time on the sand. * The trails in the desert are not difficult although there are some areas that would present a challenge and I'm sure we can find them if people want.
Guadamar del Segura near Alicante?
Caen is good. We used it a lot as it has good toll free roads feeding it.
If you came via Santander you could probably meet up with Stu at Cuenca (561 kms)?
Thoughts?

Rodger

Maybe meet up near Zaragoza on his way down from Andorra?

I need to look at timings - if Stu is taking 7 days to get there I will need to study the ferries, get the timing right.

Yes, Guardemar nr Alicante. There is a campsite on a protected beach I have in mind.

Ps pau would be good as we want to go via Perigeux and see froggy steve.

What about incorporating Guadamar on the trip down - it is not such a long haul for that day and then onto Tabernas. On the way back I was thinking about Cazorla and Sacedon - both quite a way inland. Guadamar sounds interesting and a better solution.
Based at Tabernas there are obviously the desert trails but nearby is Cabo de Gator which has trails and beaches and various parts have been in the movies.
Thoughts?

Regards,

Ps pau would be good as we want to go via Perigeux and see froggy steve.

More than welcome chaps....however, might be able to meet you there or en route, all depends on weather and pools etc - I like them all closed up by Oct 1st, but this is rare as some numpty customer wants to sit around his nice clean pool and look at it - cant use them, far too cold, but nice to look at...........

Wouldnt it be great if we had a gang meet here for a night, plenty of space for camping outside the gate, and we could get a BBQ going - when we first came here, we organised an MX-5 hol in the area (we used to run Northampton area club) and cooked up a lamb on a spit in the garden - the whole village got involved and we had a table of 30 odd in the garden with the village dogs running riot! Everyone in the village bought something, be it salad, cheeze cous cous whatever. It was a blast! Depending on dates we could then hook up with the convoy down to Tabernas! :dance:

Oooh, nice idea. If it's October, count us in :icon-biggrin:

Sounds good Steve. I am aiming to drive down to the tabernas over 7 days averaging 200 miles a day then 7 days in the area then the same back up. I dont mind people joining in but we are not just going today lanes as we would like to look around france at possible places for buying a house in the future.

We will also have a 2 year old in tow so our plans will be pretty fluid. Sorry been a bit slack at the moment with this but we have just put our house up for sale so been very busy

Stu

Stu - rough plan, could these dates work?

I would depart Sun 25th Sept, arrive Santander 26th.

Meet up at Zaragoza area and camp night of 26th.

Drive down to Guardamar, camp for 2 nights if poss as inlaws live there, beach is meant to be good and undeveloped.

Arrive Tabernas around 29th.

Maybe 3 days lanes?

Thats up to about 2nd October.

I would then head north aiming for Caen, get back to Uk about 7th Oct.

Out of all that, the only important date is the 26th to tie in with ferry arrival, how does that fit with you?

Pete

If its too early, I could put it back a week to 3rd Oct?

Hi folks - we made an exec decision today! We will close all pools by end September, so count us in on the trip! Would probably leave 2nd/3rd October and will travel with camping trailer, if its ready or not! We would like to spend a few day in and around the desert again, then make our way back, the long way round, through Spain, perhaps past Barcelona to the bay of Roses (see some mates) to Andorra, again sticking to small roads/chemins, nothing too challenging (trailer). We will probably go through the Somport tunnel on the way down. But if folk want a group drive I am easy, after all, I only get one holiday a year - happy to fit in with anyone else, as long as we are back home for the 23rd when wifey's lot arrive!
Remember we will have 3 dogs (labs) with us (if the old one is still with us) so if anyone is allergic to dogs, bring klenex :) If I can help with anything I will do my best :)

Thinking about the various dates that have been mentioned and the comments that have been made in various posts, I think it would be better to plan the Andorra section and Smugglers Pass for the return journey and bring Stumog and Steve through the tunnel on the way down, that's assuming that the dates can be made to work for both of you. Stu mentioned that they want a good look round France for future reference so maybe that would tie into Steve's dates? Coming through the tunnel is nearer to the west side so is easier for Pete to meet (Zaragoza).
It's around 1000kms from the tunnel to Tabernas but that's using the main roads and not seeing anything and Stu said that 200 miles per day would be a reasonable target including some gravel road bits - 2 year old on board.
So if you guys want I'll start planning a route based on tunnel in / Andorra out and take in the beach Pete suggested and other interesting bits.
How far from the tunnel are you Steve? - just thinking about day's mileage and campsites. Is Zaragoza area reasonable based on Stu's mileage as that may be better for meeting Pete at a campsite?

Regards

We are 5hrs from the tunnel, but thats main roads - happy to do slower 'b' roads for a couple of days, Dont see much of France during the summer (except the Dordogne!)

I am very flexible - We will fit in with whatever - I know how difficult organising trips are...we did a few for the MX-5 Club!

Back