Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tabernas Desert

Quiet Shayne spilt milk water under the bridge not worth it let it go .

That's what I had been thinking all this time until the Captain Chaos comment I couldn't let that go without comment.

Great pics. As already said truck is looking really good after all the problems.

Great trip report and pics Steve. :thumbup:

While I remember about it...I was sooooo pleased I changed the rad and added the extra auto box cooler. Not really for the mountain tracks, but for the motorway hills. On the flat on the motorway, temp would hover around 82 ish degrees. Some of the long climes caused it to rise once to 94. This is only because i tried to keep the speed up going uphill and put the thing under quite a lot of load. After this, on similar long climes, i dropped it out of O/D and used the box as a manual box keeping it in a lower gear, dropping the speed but also the temp.
Off road, no problems at all up or down, usually below 80 degs.

The only problem we have with the truck now is we managed to pop a transfer case bearing seal by the looks of things, (changed into reverse with out stopping as wifey sent me the wrong way....what she meant was Right, my right, not hers (left).........lol Still replacement set on order.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi,
We live quite near the Tabernas area and have been trying to find out more about the trails and last week met someone who has told me where to enquire because apparently one needs a permit to use the trails and vehicles of certain specs (so our Toyotas won't be a problem). We are going to Almeria next week to see the authorities - well this is Spain - so will let you know the score.
It isn't just westerns that were made in that desert and yes there are some touristy bits but it seems that some of you may be interested in a trip down. If so I'll let you know what I find out.
The miles and miles of plastic just west of Almeria supplies the north European, including the UK, supermarkets with 'out-of-season' fruit and veg, so blame the TV chefs and the half-built buildings are to do with the way that planning permissions, etc work down here, but that's another Spanish idiosyncrasy.

Regards,

I'm up for another trip come October time - had a blast on the last one :) More wild camping now we have the roof tent.......I think (might be wrong) that if the trails are not open, then they will have a barrier across the entrance? or at least signed as such. Usually due to fire risk?

too many tomato's for my liking....steak is better :)

I could be interested in going down there in October. Looking for somewhere interesting to go.

Interested as well. Might need to work dates around school dates etc though.

:text-+1: on that, somewhere new to go. :thumbup:

Hi,

Went to Almeria and this being Spain we now have another office to visit which isn't in Almeria so we will do that in the new year. Will let you know as and when...
My truck is on Spanish plates so I need to check this out as the Guardia can get a bit upperty with local vehicles - they have the power to impound - but this would not apply to foreign registered vehicles unless you happen to be an expat driving a flash motor as if you own the province!

Happy Christmas

Regards,

Last week we found the right office to establish the position re permits and the desert - quads and bikes need permits but full size 4x4s do not need specific permissions. Logical really as the film industry is very active down here (currently there is a film being shot in a part of the desert) and transport from their base camp to the set is by 4x4 so it would be almost impossible to police. But they are not keen on people wild camping - see below.
We ran a couple of trails - one of which featured locations from seven different films and the other was to some Roman baths which we failed to find! but we only needed FWD once in some soft sand. The trails are not particularly challenging but are interesting scenically with some amazing geology on view. But as we do more trails the 'challenging' bit may change.
The authorities made it clear that they do not like groups wild camping. However we have discovered a campsite near Tabernas and it is not the usual Med-type site with shops and playgrounds, etc. This one only has toilets, showers, optional electrics, a pool and a communal BBQ. There is a small hotel/bar about 10 minutes walk away. We'll visit the campsite next time we are over there and check it out.

DSCF0141.JPG
The rock was the background in a Yul Brynner film where he was arriving in Mexico
DSCF0142.JPG
Location used in Lawrence of Arabia
DSCF0151.JPG
You could go round it!

Regards

That still has to be the best looking 40 on the planet, as they say. It's a beauty and not just a show piece either!

Thinking of heading down this way in end of September next year what's the weather likely to be like? Anyone got electronic maps for the area.

Back