Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tools required

grantw

Supporter
Hi Guys,
Just wondering what tools i'll require after I pick up my first 80 this weekend. I have a fairly comprehensive socket and spanner set below 19mm but nothing really above that.

Top of my list is a 54mm socket and torque wrench (any recommendations here?)

Beyond that what tools do you find you can't live without when doing maintenance/work on yours?

Thanks,
Grant

Small set of electronic fishing scales (ebay, Hong Kong £5) essential for setting preloads on swivels and hubs in my view
Snap ring pliers are good to have but not absolutely essential. I managed for ages without them, but glad I have them. Snap ring - not circlip.
Magnetic pick up tool
Magnetic parts tray for keeping all the tiny nuts and washers in
Ball joint splitter - not the fork sort that you whack
Soft / copper faced mallet
Set of small chisels
Irwin nut and stud removers. Thank the Great Lord Irwin!!

Chris

I shall have to go an look in my tool cupboard for any more gems for those tools that I would take if I were overlanding

I can add:
- largish G clamp for replacing back brakes
- spanner for oil drain plugs, I think its a 24mm

Alot are coverd above. 21mm with breaker bar for wheel nuts. A better jack than the one that comes with the truck and axle stands.
The list can go on.....
i have a set of rachet spanner that I find very handy from halfords.

I'll go through the tools thing when you call round Saturday Grant, while the SWMBO's chit chat.

Andy

Andy, I don't think a 6 post ramp is on everyone's list

C

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Oh and a Draper oil seal puller. As set of oil seal and bearing seating tools is a damn handy thing too.
I'd add a large 22mm and 24mm ring spanner to the set as well.

Chris

Quality 6 sided sockets
Foam mat to lie on
Small gas blow torch
Antiseptic & eye drops

Big multi pack of blue paper towel.
Disposable gloves (ooh topical) and safety glasses ha ha. Won't need the eye drops then
and

Milners on speed dial.

Machine Mart torque wrench
Bluepoint service kit 3/8" drive
Smaller 1/4" drive socket set - short and deep sockets - all 6-sided if possible
Assorted screwdrivers
Assorted pliers
GearWrench ratchet set
Allen keys
Small torqz (sp?) keys
BFH
Trolley jack - high lift from MachineMart
Decent multimeter - Fluke if you can afford it
Oil drip trays
Garden spray pump bottles - great for getting diff oil back into the diffs
Decent funnels
Oil filter removal clamp from Halfords - the three-legged one that clamps as you tightedn vs the chain one seems to work best for me
Garage creeper
Decent ramps
Axle stands 3ton
Small electric screwdriver
Door panel clip removal tool
Irwin stud extractors
Snap-on bolt and nut cleaner - repair kit
Tap and die set
Electrical hydraulic crimper
Decent soldering iron
'Helping hands' jobbie
Assorted metric ring and set spanners
Magnetic extendable picker-upper / retriever thingy
LED work light on decent extension cable
Zip ties
Pop riveter
Riv-nut set

Last edited:
THis is becoming a willy-waving thread. :icon-biggrin:

Big box to put all the above in, I found Wicks do one with wheels on which is great if your work area is not close to your tools

This thread could go on and on and on lol

Theres a fair few handy tools. Some cost involved with buying tools and a four post lift as Chris mentioned:icon-biggrin:

Tony - yep - think you'll find a lot of stuff gets acquired over years and years - get the best you can afford every time and you don't have to re-buy!

For tool storage, there's a couple of those nice workshop storage drawer systems on fleabay for a lot less than the main shops ...

Whoa, the question was about those essentials for working on an 80. We aren't trying to equip a full workshop. Grant said he has the basic range, what are the add ons - like the classic 54mm socket.

Oh, plasma cutter, lathe, miller, CNC router, paint spray booth. Plus a rolling road maybe?:lol::lol:

Chris

for the diff etc filler plugs, as they can be a bit seized, are quite soft metal and thin, a 6 point 24mm socket that has been faced to give a snug fit is best to keep them in good shape.

good snap ring pliers, we've probably had a couple of threads with links for the best ones, not cheap but worth it.

big copper faced hammer

54mm socket

Hydraulic press, ..........brill for bushes

Thanks for this. All I need now is a warm garage!

@Chris, i'm kinda curious as to how you use the fish scales - you would also have to take into account the length of your breaker bar? If you have a 54mm socket and torsion bar is the fish scales method better?

Grant, you need to go to the 80 section and read the stickies on maintaining an 80. But here is the link to the axle rebuild, which also explains the use of the scales to check rotational pre load on the axle nuts. Thing is that as the torque isn't that high, a torque wrench can be fooled by one of the 54mm nuts binding so you end up with the incorrect pre load. Best way to check is is by measuring how much force it takes to actually turn the wheel

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/34769-Rebuilding-the-80-series-front-axle/page3

Chris

Thanks for this. All I need now is a warm garage!
QUOTE]

Second that, somewhere to work without the rush to finish everything in one go, and without being exposed to all the elements.
Make sure the door is high enough to accomodate a 3" lift, 285/75/16 Tyres, and potentially a roof rack with RTT.
hmmm... I'm still working on this one.

IQ

Back