Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Trolley Jack

I see you've got one already. Hope it lifts high enough for you.
I'd say the cheapest you can get away with is this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... trolley-ja
But that's for the garage floor.

For portable use there's nothing better than the original screw-type bottle jack, and even better combined with a decent cordless drill. A fast and powerful combination.

Yes, I got the one that Chris posted in the end... this one http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... sion-jacks

Does the job, LB is not lifed and on stands, and I have started to take the bit's apart.... I have not had enought time to get the job done, but at least I have started. A fair amount of diff oil was dripping out which meant I can't really drive it anywhere, so I might as well have a go.

Thanks to all who have advised as to what to buy. :cool:

Are you going to have a go at unbolting the extension tube Tony Like I suggested. IF you do, try not to pull the inner shaft out of the diff. Best to leave that in there. We don't want to have to start splitting diffs! We just need to be able to grab hold of something, enough to he able to get the end of the broken shaft out of the end of the inner shaft extension. Don't forget the pics. You'll have to unbolt the driver's side diff mounting. It's like a l shaped arm coming off the chassis. Remove it completely to give you more room to work.

Chris

Yeah as soon as I get 5 mins, I am going to give that a go. Looks like I may need to take the bash place off too, but that's only a few bolts. I'll let you know how I get on (you may get a panic call :roll: ) plus will do loads of pics

Oh yes, front plate must come off. You can leave the back one on though. They share two middle bolts, but the plate itself will hang just fine whist you remove the front. When you put it back, only do the bolts loosely. You need wiggle room to line them all up before you tighten them.

Chris

Just resurecting an old thread.....

I bought a Halfords 4x4 Trolley Jack but it is only 2.25 tonne and feels the strain. It has a lift height of 520mm which isnt quite enough for the truck.

I am looking for two bits of advice:

1. I need to carry a bottle jack, at the moment I have no onboard jack, am thinking of something like 5 tonne?

2. Another trolley jack - would the 3 tonne machine mart jobbie cope much better that the 2.25 tonne? Appreciate I can raise the height by adding a big piece of wood underneath.

3. (yeah, I know its three.....) I need taller axle stands than the dinky halfords ones I have, any pointers?

Cheers

Pete

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Jon, I scoured the MM website but didnt look at that one because of its 2 tonne max weight, but that is the height lift I am looking for.

So that lifts your 80 ok? Should be fine for the 95 then.

The one I have just gets the truck off the ground and then runs out of steam, as its at max height it feels a bit precarious.

Pete

I have lifted some very overweight 80's with one of those, mostly just a corner at a time but sometimes an end / side without feeling it was a strain for it. If it had half the lift height it would probably have at least 2 times the rating, but at the height it goes to I can understand it only being 2 ton. Very handy for spring changes :) this is not quite full height.
[attachment=0:13zrbmn3]IMAG1152.jpg[/attachment:13zrbmn3]

Attachments

• IMAG1152.jpg
    IMAG1152.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 174
Yep, thats the puppy.

Am ordering one of those, a 4 tonne and a 12 tonne bottle jack.

That MM website is tooooo good.

Cheers

Pete

Back