Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Tyre size question.

Was purely a typo that i hove only notices since you pointed it out. Thanks Chad

No worries mate :thumbup:

Actually it's a shame because if had had 285/75s fitted you could have given us all some advice. :)

BTW - from what I have read if you do want to fit 285s then be prepared from more than just a simply SL....

I dont want to do anything groundbreaking, happy to follow where others have trod before....

Happy to wait until the ST's are available, are the ATR's in the same situation?

Sae....a question.... you have the same 255's as on mine, BFG MT's - how did you find they performed in the snow?

Pete

wobbly said:
.......................Sae....a question.... you have the same 255's as on mine, BFG MT's - how did you find they performed in the snow?.........
They got me everywhere I needed to go :D I poped onto one of our local industrial estates last winter after some heavy snow, I guess there was 6 to 8 inch of untroden snow on top of 3 to 4 inch of compact snow and ice. I then spent 20min or so increasing my speed and slamming on my brakes to see how she pulled up and I was prety impressed how the tyres bit into the compact snow and ice :) I did this a half dozen times from 10mph upto 40mph. I also gave her some wellie going into and out of snow covered corners to see how she held up and all went very well all things considered.

If your worried how they'll perform in the white stuff you could always get yourself a couple of sets of commercial truck snow chains :shifty: :mrgreen:

PA250744.jpg

PA250745.jpg

sae70 said:
amandrew325 said:
I orderd 4 BFG muds before. I dont think the new Km2's are that great. Same happened when GoodYear brought out the Wrangler MTR, everyone was bying them but was dissapointed with the life and grip. I had a set and was verry dissapointed
I’m afraid that I’m going to have to whole heartedly disagree with your statement that the new BFGoodrich KM2 Mud Terrains are not as good as the older style KM1’s. I’ve found mine to be very well mannered on the black stuff with a very acceptable level of road noise (certainly quieter than my old Cooper STT’s). They also have very acceptable grip on the black stuff in the wet & also perform well in the snow, I know all of this because I own a set that I’ve in a controlled way pushed hard in all of these conditions in order to be more aware of their characteristics’ & as I say all has been very acceptable.

Now in the mud I also think that the KM2’s perform better than the original BFGoodrich KM1’s as this picture I’m sure demonstrates.

P1070233.jpg

P1070236.jpg

P1070239.jpg

The LR90 is running a set of 255/85/16 BFG KM1’s the same exact size of my KM2’s, he has KAM front & rear lockers fitted & the vehicle in terms of power, size, clearances etc is a very good match to my Fiery.

He got stuck requiring a good 20min of winching, but once he was clear I drove straight through.

In my mind apart from the difference in manufacture of vehicles the only difference between us is the tyres.

The exact opposite of what you’re suggesting

I couldn’t comment on the Wrangler MTR’s as I’ve never owned a set of the old or new versions so I’ll have to take your word for what you are saying with regards to those.

With regards the the life of the KM2’s you should have a search on some of the American sites & see what they are saying as they have been available in America for much longer than here in the UK, they are reporting many 10,000’s of miles of life from them.

I'll let you know how they perform on the loose gravel & rocks as we are off to Wales this weekend for a bit of dirty fun :D

Melksham Tyre Supplies in Wiltshire do cracking prices on Cooper Tyres by the way, prob as there is a big Cooper Tyre Factory in Melksham....

I have Discoverer STTs on the HI Lux - Rate them in the Mud, Never really pushed the Hilux on Tarmac

Dave

P.s. One Negative about the BFG ATs which I run on the Colorado is that they are a harsh ride compared to previous tyres and only really like being run at very high psi....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Dave

What would you consider a high psi?

Its like I can feel every knobble!

Pete

Dont know if others have found the same - but I've found my BFGs to 'seem' softer with them pumped up around 40/45psi.... I've been playing with everything from 25psi upwards I can't see any logic in it, and it is very subjective..!

They are also Heavy compared to Goodyear Wranglers of the same size from memory (I could be wrong, this was just a quick me lifting them)

On the plus side they are good on the puncture resistance side, and def last a long long time, so they aren't actually an expensive tyre, in fact they are probably the cheapest tyre I have ever bought (because of the miles they will do)!

Dave

DaveWall said:
........................They are also Heavy compared to Goodyear Wranglers of the same size from memory (I could be wrong, this was just a quick me lifting them)...................
It depends upon what Goodyear Wrangler tyre one is on about as there's at least 12 different models of the Wrangler tyre :)

But a good comparative tyre to the BFG KM2 would be the Wrangler MT/R;

gy_wrang_mtr_kev_bw_ci2_l.jpg

285/75/16 BFG KM2 is 59lbs

285/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R is 64lbs

Look at the weights of these common tyres in 285/75/16

BFG A/T is 26.76Kgs

BFG KM2 is also 26.76Kgs

But the GGAT2 is 27.67Kgs

Thats interesting :think: Isn't it :)

It will also depend if you get the P or LT version. That Goodyear MTR pictured above is an MTR Kevlar or something like that, AFAIK they still do the plain old MTR with older style MT pattern as well as the Kevlar's crossover AT/MT pattern.

You know your tyres, that is indeed the picture of and weight of the MT/R Kevlar :mrgreen:

Yep, far more scientific than I was doing! I just picked up whatever Wrangler it was in the tyre place and it was substancially lighter than the BFG - it was described as an AT tyre of similar quality, no idea what exact model/year it was....

OK so question for the Tyre Experts - what pressure should you be running (psi please) for majority tarmac work, but an occasional stray off the black stuff... (I know there are loads of dependancies like load etc, but go for an average...

Dave

DaveWall said:
Yep, far more scientific than I was doing! I just picked up whatever Wrangler it was in the tyre place and it was substancially lighter than the BFG - it was described as an AT tyre of similar quality, no idea what exact model/year it was....
Ah that was possibly a Duratrac.............58lbs in a 285/75/16 that's 1lb lighter than the same size BFG KM2 :)

gy_wranglerdt_owl_ci2_l.jpg

DaveWall said:
OK so question for the Tyre Experts - what pressure should you be running (psi please) for majority tarmac work, but an occasional stray off the black stuff... (I know there are loads of dependancies like load etc, but go for an average...
I run at 38psi in my 255/85/16 BFG KM2's for 80% of the time and would be happy straying into soft ground at this pressure as required. If I'm away for a weekends laning and or off-roading then I'll drop down to 24psi for all surfaces, I do this more for the extra comfort that is afforded at this pressure over any extra grip that I may get :D

All weights and measures in one language please....brain too slow to be doing conversions....

Seems to me that BFG are the byword in durability, though the MT's seem to split opinion.

I def do not need MT's, so am happy to buy a more road biased type, started saving the sheckels.

Much as I could sell the MT's, I'm also happy to keep them as a second set for occasional use, the set is almost new (spare still is), you can guarantee the moment after I sell them I will need to buy a set of MT's for some obscure unexpected reason....

Cheers

Pete

You could sell the spare to raise a little toward a set of black modular steel wheels to fit the other four KM2's onto for play and fun and then get a set of General Grabber A/T's for everyday use and occasional snow, ice, wet grass and unmade tracks :)

You could just put a cushion on the seat Pete. I have been in that truck and I honestly don't know what you mean about the ride I asked Nick the other day and he said he had the tyres up around 40 psi. Just let some out and see how it feels. They are Muds; it's never going to be like a Rolls on the tarmac. And it's never going to give to 40 mpg. Buying new tyres to try and squeeze and extra 2 mpg is a false economy, clearly. Unless you a million miles a year. We all have to remember that diesel is not the same formulation as it used to be and no one is really getting what they used to get. That's why now a petrol is looking a more attractive option!

Do remember that you don't have a rear locker on that truck, so if you do get into soft stuff you will want ALL the grip you can get to stop a wheel from spinning thereby requiring the CD to be locked. I'd certainly wait until we are free from any chance of snow before making any moves.

Chris

Chris said:
You could just put a cushion on the seat Pete.

:D

Its certainly not an major issue - but it does feel like I can feel every knobble through the steering.

Looking at the MOT there is an advisory on the steering box, I might get that sorted and see if that makes a difference.

Pete

Steering box? There is a rack and a pump thats it.
It could be your rack bushes have started to deteriorate, its an easy enough fix and not dear.

It a rack and pinion set up on the 95 series Pete. It might be the mounting bushes that are going. It's common. Engine off, keys in, look underneath whilst someone see-saws the wheel left to right. Watch the rack. If it moves rather than the wheels then the bushes are going. About 3 - 5mm side to side total movement is around the limit for the MOT man.

Kit is around £50 IIRC.

Chris

Back