Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Who is doing what maintenance today?

Fixed a rattle in the rear bottom tailgate only to find that something bloody heavy at some point has fallen on it.
veqebu8u.jpg

If you look closely at the end of the socket extension you can see light where the door rubber does not touch the tailgate. It was not seen on inspection due to having the carpet on the tailgate which when looking down it covered the gap.

3ususyqu.jpg

Nothing serious but at some point when Karl has sourced a replacement I will swap it out.

Warren, the tailgates on the 80 all get quite distorted. The outer skin is folded over the deck. But not welded. So when you put weight on the middle, it pulls out of the folded joint and sinks. I put some battens across mine and used bold and washers to pull it all back up to level than I spot welded the fold seam to the deck. Of course we are all fitting nice shiny new decks very soon on the group buy. This will stop all the sinking hopefully by tying all the edges together. If you put your hand on the carpet an operate the lower tailgate level, I bet you'll feel all the mechanism through the carpet. They sink to the point that the levers all hit the underside of the deck.

When i fitted my tail gate board I drilled some holes and then with a self tapper in the end of a slide hammer i got it back to shape. I was shocked at how easy it was to bend back.

They are tin foil, really. That's why getting rid of the carpet is going to be a good move.

OK so driving about 10 miles with the handbrake on seems to have bedded the shoes in to the point that it now holds on a hill and passes the MOT, Yay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yes they failed the rest. Said it was the worst they seen since you took yours in Frank.

DSC_0015.JPGI dont post many pictures of my 80 put as its clean with my winch on and a refitted my rooftent here you go.DSC_0014.JPG

TBH it really is a tidy truck for its year. The next to last PO had it for 13 years and covered 30K in that time and it was always garaged.

Andy

Just found the leak on the AC system. It's the long pipe that goes around the back of the engine across the bulkhead. On the 24v it's in two halves but on the 12v it's all one long pipe. They should swap over OK I guess. Draining the rad soon and so I can move all the heater pipes if I need to. It looks as though it's actually split where it's in contact with the sound proofing. There are dried green crystals there. Shame it was all working so well!

Thats a bugger Chris, I wonder if it was just holding out the last bit then it let go?

Andy

Yeah just long enough for the previous dodgy owner to flog it on. Some people, eh?

Looks almost as though it's been rubbing.

Mine failed there. As it's a cold pipe water condenses on it and soaks into the bulkhead insulation behind which it touches. As such it never dries out. The exchange pipes are a different shape and clear this area.

Makes sense Frank. Hmm, replacement this weekend

Just by the servo? There is a tighter bend on the replacement. It took a dye and a UV light off ebay to sort mine after 2 refills so you've done well. Mine would last 14 days before failure. I had corrosion around the drier joints and condenser joints so changed the whole lot.

Yeah just long enough for the previous dodgy owner to flog it on. Some people, eh?

Looks almost as though it's been rubbing.

Yep I rubbed that bit especially for you Chris. "Some people" ?? Ha, if only they knew!!:laughing-rolling:

Andy

The old one

1F358BE4-6668-495F-9AFD-2ACE7DBB5B32_zpsopnkkiln.jpg

Replaced part of my steering column today as the UJ was worn causing a wobbly steering wheel and a rattling noise when going over bumps or off road. It finally drove me up the wall last week so I ordered a new one at an eye watering cost of £415 with the club discount at Toyota :D but at least it drives smoothly with no shimmy and the rattle/clicking noise is gone :D

Back