Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch bumper question!!

Is this the same with steel winch bumpers or do you (as I always thought) mount the winch to the bumper then the bumper to the chassis? Or, do you have two options when using a steel winch bumper? Tray and bumper mounted?

My AFN bumper is basically a bumper mounted to a tray and i would gamble AFN's 80 bumper would be the same .

I'm pretty sure a fabricated or folded tray would be far stronger than a bumper on its own. It holds onto the chassis in a completely different way for a start, more direct and with bolts being pulled 'shear' fashion. That said, the bumpers have got to be pretty strong and imovable to take recovery stresses…:shifty:

Runs and hides…:whistle:

I'm pretty sure a fabricated or folded tray would be far stronger than a bumper on its own. It holds onto the chassis in a completely different way for a start, more direct and with bolts being pulled 'shear' fashion. That said, the bumpers have got to be pretty strong and imovable to take recovery stresses…:shifty:

Runs and hides…:whistle:

Agreed Rich.

The winch mounts on my ARB bumper are vertical, so there's no shear or tension stress on the mounting bolts, in fact all the bolts do is keep the winch and howse in location. Arguably, they could be self-tapping screws for what they do, but I wouldn't recommend that :eusa-whistle:

The bumper is attached to the chassis with bolts in shear stress. It's rectangular box (at the bumper) sleeved over the rectangular box (ends of the chassis) and the bolts are in pairs on 3 out of 4 of the box sides (2 on the top, 2 on the bottom and 2 on the outer side).

I reinforced the bumper to make a more positive (or direct) transfer of load from the winch mount location to the welds holding the rectangular bumper box section, it was overkill, but now its solid for sure.

I've done some pretty tough winching and there's no sign of any distortion or deformation of the front vertical part of the bumper where the winch mounts to.

Is this the same with steel winch bumpers or do you (as I always thought) mount the winch to the bumper then the bumper to the chassis? Or, do you have two options when using a steel winch bumper? Tray and bumper mounted?

You have two options StarCruiser!
The tray "only" comes into play when the bumper itself aint up to the task of holding XXXXXLbs of pull.
FI such as the original LC80&100 winch bumper trau tucked away behind the stock bumper.

IMG_2085.PNG
Same bumper but with the side pieces!!!!
Interesting metal work!!

They are not side pieces, they are flare strippers.
If you hit anything with the bar near where the number plate is mounted the bar will twist and it's off with the end of the flare.
Gets annoying after a couple of weeks times.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
They are not side pieces, they are flare strippers.
If you hit anything with the bar near where the number plate is mounted the bar will twist and it's off with the end of the flare.
Gets annoying after a couple of weeks times.

I'm glad you shared that experience, i have a 1' gap between the flare and the side of the bumper. I was about to make up some fill in pieces till you said.

Anybody know the size and strength (!) 0f the bolts that fix into the chassis to hold on the bumper, the existing ones look a bit ropey!!

M12 x1.25 I put hi cap bolts I made in mine

Unsure if the LC 80 has the same as the LC100, have not checked the parts catalouge....

The LC 100 has at least metric fine threads on the stock bolts. Also holding some tie down points IIRC.
I can meassure them up if needed.

I think I used 30mm long bolts. the 1.25 refers to the thread pitch

Thanks folks, will get some new bolts
In the quest to mount the bumper and winch I got a long winch mount and an angle grinder so will hopefully get the winch mounted soon.
Also some synthetic winch rope, got off the hook ready to be connected.
Just need to find some time!!
Powdered coater says I will have to wait until the new year to get that done.

Take lots of pictures please :) I'm doing that in a few weeks.
Have you decided on where you're mounting the solenoid ?
Will do, hopefully I will make all the mistakes first!!
Not yet, but on the top of the bumper probably, it's off getting powder coated at the moment.
Picture below shows old and new solenoid packs!!!
image.jpg

Will do, hopefully I will make all the mistakes first!!
Not yet, but on the top of the bumper probably, it's off getting powder coated at the moment.
Picture below shows old and new solenoid packs!!!
View attachment 111880

Ah im sure you wont make any.
You've got a bumper very similar to mine too and the mounting plate is going to be in the same position (under the chassis rail) So i'm curious to see what height the cable will be in relation to the slot on the front.

That's a great question and one I have been thinking about. Will probably cut off the fairlead mount on the winch plate so the rope goes directly to the bumper, will mount and see how it looks before cutting.

That's a great question and one I have been thinking about. Will probably cut off the fairlead mount on the winch plate so the rope goes directly to the bumper, will mount and see how it looks before cutting.

Seems we both had the same ponderings, mine is a steel cable for the moment but i was worried about abrasion on the synthetic rope when i eventually get it. I think i'm putting the solenoid in front of the PS battery so the only thing visible on the bumper is the hook.

That's how my winch mounts behind the stock bumper.
20130703_202245.jpg

Solenoid is fitted in the engine bay next to the battery on the left side

Back