Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Winch bumper question!!

Good picture, you keep the lip at the front on the plate and the it was up against the front of the chassis, not sure I can do that with my bumper!!!

I had to extend the front of the mount for the fairlead to meet the bumper.
The lip is pretty much against the chassis.

Just for ideas heres mine behind the stock bumper, i cut down and welded angle iron to a tray from goodwinch.

winch003.jpg

winch008.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

winch010.jpg.html

winch013.jpg.html

winch008.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks CG, Like the way you mounted the solenoid box and a very professional looking winch plate.
Got my bumper back from the powder coater Along with a couple of new tow pionts, got them off a guy on FB and coat them powder coated aswell.
Also place the new fairlead on it as well, a small part of the bling!!!!
Hopefully get sometime to mount the winch plate tomorrow!!
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2282.JPG
IMG_2283.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So update, after nearly killing myself to get this done yesterday, I have the winch installed. I would not recommend this route, think get a plate made up is a better option.
The Solenoid box looks rubbish so will relocat that at some point.

I have a problem with the winch it seems to be turning the incorrect direction, I have wired it up as per the below diagram and using the direction sign on the winch it is definitely turn in the wrong direction, anybody got ideas why??????
IMG_2287.JPG

IMG_1988.JPG

And how it looks with the Tow pionts as well.
IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

So update, after nearly killing myself to get this done yesterday, I have the winch installed. I would not recommend this route, think get a plate made up is a better option.

I have a problem with the winch it seems to be turning the incorrect direction, I have wired it up as per the below diagram and using the direction sign on the winch it is definitely turn in the wrong direction, anybody got ideas why??????
View attachment 112449
View attachment 112452
View attachment 112450
View attachment 112451

Looking v smart :)
Really like the factor 55 Hawse thing

* Edit

Isn't the direction determined by which way you wind the cable (looking from the side if you wind it anticlockwise the cable would feed out at the bottom, so if the drum winds anti clockwise it feeds out and vice versa)

The slot on my bumper is at the bottom of the bumper so i figured i could alter the winding direction if the cable angle was not horizonal.

*Edit 2

If you end up changing the cable direction and take those recovery points off .. if you fancy drawing round them on a piece of A4 paper and scanning it, I could get a set cobbled up.

Last edited:

View attachment 112449
View attachment 112452
View attachment 112450
View attachment 112451

Found this post it may help .... https://www.landcruiserclub.net/community/threads/factory-fitted-winch.142525/#post-1377082

Looking v smart :)
Really like the factor 55 Hawse thing

* Edit

Isn't the direction determined by which way you wind the cable (looking from the side if you wind it anticlockwise the cable would feed out at the bottom, so if the drum winds anti clockwise it feeds out and vice versa)

The slot on my bumper is at the bottom of the bumper so i figured i could alter the winding direction if the cable angle was not horizonal.

*Edit 2

If you end up changing the cable direction and take those recovery points off .. if you fancy drawing round them on a piece of A4 paper and scanning it, I could get a set cobbled up.
I really link the Factor 55 stuff, I have a bright red thimble to put on the end of the rope once I get the winch direction sorted out!!

I'm just worried about the brake not working, as it looks like I am doing the opposite to my 2nd picture, the little red arrows show the direction it should be turning, which as the wire rope is going over the barrel!!

need to have a better look when I get a minute, thanks for the forum link

You should be fine if the slot is lower, mine will be at an angle to go up to the slot.
Will post some more pictures from the winch plate mode, main think is make sure you bring it far enough forward so that the free run leveler can be easy moved, I didnt!!!:triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph::triumph:

You can change the motor direction by swapping the black wires around. It changes the direction of the field current relative to the armature.
Drum rotation is important for correct brake operation.

The hawse fairlead should be reasonably close to the height of the cable coming of the drum in most situations. If the cable is dragged hard across it every time it is used you will reduce the life of the cable / expensive synthetic rope.

I can't tell from your picture which way you have mounted the winch. Motor on the left or right.

You can change the motor direction by swapping the black wires around. It changes the direction of the field current relative to the armature.
Drum rotation is important for correct brake operation.

The hawse fairlead should be reasonably close to the height of the cable coming of the drum in most situations. If the cable is dragged hard across it every time it is used you will reduce the life of the cable / expensive synthetic rope.

I can't tell from your picture which way you have mounted the winch. Motor on the left or right.
Sarma,
That's good to know about the swap of the cables on the motor, so I can swap the black with yellow with the black with black boot as per the diagram above??
Yep not ideal that the hawse fairlead is a couple of inchs above the motor drum, but wont be winching every weekend and hopefully only as a last resort.
The winch motor is on the left looking at the front of the car and by reading some Warn stuff it looking link the rope should go under the barrel.

So this is how I modified the winch plate that I got from Winch-it.
Firstly it's too long, so cut equal amounts from each side.
Then because it has the lip at each side they had to be cut off along with the fairlead mount.
2 holes matched the chassis spacing so they just needed to be enlarged and 2 new ones drilled.
Not a straight cut in the whole thing but it fits, just!!!
IMG_2284.JPG
IMG_2285.JPG
IMG_2286.JPG

Off topic, but can i quickly ask what you painted your side steps with, and how durable its turning out to be?

Off topic, but can i quickly ask what you painted your side steps with, and how durable its turning out to be?
Got them sand blasted and then powder coated, holding up well under normal wear and tear.

Have a look at red-winches.com under their Albright contractors. They have data sheets that give good information about wiring for winch motors.

I would either raise the winch or lower the fairlead to make it all line up better.
The loading on the cable as it changes direction over the fairlead will be extreme and will interfere with the self laying of the rope.

Even a synthetic rope will soon cut a notch in the fairlead and then it is stuffed.

I just went out to the garage and had a look at my truck to confirm that the winch cable winds onto the drum from the bottom. Looking at your picture of the winch above their is a label indicating the correct rotation direction.

I am also from the school of thought that it is better to have the winch as far back from the fairlead as possible to improve the fleet angle. Doesn't always work but never hurts.

So finally got it finished, rewired the winch so it spools in the correct direction.
Added the synthetic rope and the fancy thimble with shackle.
IMG_2322.JPG
IMG_2323.JPG
IMG_2324.JPG

Back