Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Am I right ? wiggle bax stick gate - 4 bolt pinions

Graham

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Are all the autos with the satin chrome look wiggle box gate, (from 54 reg I think) are they all the 4 bolt pinion transfer, as opposed to the weaker 2 bolt pinion transfer?

What was it about the fiber washer that could cause trouble in the autobox,

Gra

Gra, my 04' has the wiggle box gate....

On the hunt for a Hundie Graham? just remember to have a damn good look underneath, they suffer badly, most of the diff lock actuators have disintegrated (like mine has, expensive to replace).

A.

On the hunt for a Hundie Graham? just remember to have a damn good look underneath, they suffer badly, most of the diff lock actuators have disintegrated (like mine has, expensive to replace).

A.

Yes,

I want auto as I hit a lot of commute traffic, so this manual thing has to go, and perhaps a Hundie is the way.

Do the rear diff lock actuators fall foul of the road salt we throw down?

Gra, my 04' has the wiggle box gate....

Aaah, so some 04 have the older black plastic "strait through" gate, and some have the satin chrome look wiggle box gate,

So do all the the satin chrome look wiggle box gate gearboxes have the 5 speed box?

Gra

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hi all,

Are all the autos with the satin chrome look wiggle box gate, (from 54 reg I think) are they all the 4 bolt pinion transfer, as opposed to the weaker 2 bolt pinion transfer?

What was it about the fiber washer that could cause trouble in the autobox,

Gra

My 53 plate (December - one of the first facelift models) has a staggered gate on the auto

My 53 plate (December - one of the first facelift models) has a staggered gate on the auto

Thanks Steve,
So it probably defines better by VIN, by that I mean the last 6 digits being the numbered order off the production line.

That's if it is the last 6 digits - normally

Gra

Last edited:
All the wiggle sticks are 5-sp autos. The 1st year (~2003) with dips-stick and T-IV ATF, the later without didpstick (but overflow plug) and WS-fluid.

The early (<2000?) HDJ100 had a problem with a washer in the converter, or at least a problem which had to be rectified, normally at around 100 k miles, or less. There's a VIN cutoff posted in here somewhere. I doubt that any of the bad converters are still in use.

The early years also had a 2-pinion front diff which was a bit weaker than the newer 4-pinion. Also here there is a specific VIN posted in here.

The 5-sp is much nicer to drive than the 4-sp. There are also changes in the engine, IP, and, not the least, in the ECU. Much snappier.

All the wiggle sticks are 5-sp autos. The 1st year (~2003) with dips-stick and T-IV ATF, the later without didpstick (but overflow plug) and WS-fluid.

The early (<2000?) HDJ100 had a problem with a washer in the converter, or at least a problem which had to be rectified, normally at around 100 k miles, or less. There's a VIN cutoff posted in here somewhere. I doubt that any of the bad converters are still in use.

The early years also had a 2-pinion front diff which was a bit weaker than the newer 4-pinion. Also here there is a specific VIN posted in here.

The 5-sp is much nicer to drive than the 4-sp. There are also changes in the engine, IP, and, not the least, in the ECU. Much snappier.

Nice post, thank you.
I am rebuilding some of the info I had , regarding 100 series.

I guess I need look around the forum for these VIN numbers, relating to the changes.

Thanks all.

Gra

Back