Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Injector Swap

Well done mate, thanks for sharing, warts and all ! It's always interesting how people do things differently in their posts.
BTW, is it still a case of MWHTC ?

Great video well done! Hows it all running now?

Good warning about those b*stard incorrect torque specs too! Lucky getting that snapped bolt out!!!!
Less MWHTC and more I'm Not Sure Of It.

It has sort of behaved, injector wise. I still hear a tapping on and off, I don't think it's the injectors, it seems more random. But it's getting good MPG and feels alright. That said no doubt it'll decide to play up tonight! But the difference between the video and now is like 2 years amazingly, so I think the work has been a success.

Just asked Toyota for a price on injector bits - just to get a worst case starting point.

Injectors: £748.04 + VAT each x4 = £3,590
Banjo gasket things £11.48 + VAT each x 5 £68.88 (wobbly fuel return bar - single use)
Injector clamp bolt £2.99 + VAT x 4 = £14.35 (not needed but so cheap why not avoid a snap)
Fuel lines £66.76 + VAT x 4 = £320.44
Fuel line nozzle holders £3.58 + VAT x 4 = £17.18 (not sure if needed)

£3,342.88 + VAT. sooooo £4,011.46 wow.

Turbo Diesel UK want £241.30 each - apparantly OE :think:

So, Toyota want £3,500 for injectors and Turbo Diesel want £965 - both Denso OE :think:
I'll investigate this further :laughing-rolling:

Last edited:
I know Toyota prices in general are horrendous, but are the cheaper ones reconditioned ??

They say 100% new Denso OEs.
They recon them there too - but there's a clear choice between recon and new OE. This is the new OE price.
With everyone struggling for stock at the moment it sounds low - but I'm going to check it out and see what's what.
Wouldn't believe it until they were in my hand and proved genuine - but ...

After how many miles does Mr.T say you should replace your injectors?
Can someone post up a photo of a Techstream read out specifically on the injectors so I can show it to a mechanic?
Cheers

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Toyota don't give a replacemet interval. I suspect it is driving and fuel quality related. If you look at this post the 5th picture is live data from Techstream. You mostly are looking for the 4 Injection Feedback readings, and when the car is warm they want to be within +/- 3, some advice is a smaller number than that. Mine were close to 5 before I replaced them. As Karl says fourby4diesel goes into more detail around injection volume for example.

Injector Swap - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Thanks Rob also worth noting theres some details about the acceptable ranges for various injector related readings in the diagnostic section of the service manual

Thanks Rob also worth noting theres some details about the acceptable ranges for various injector related readings in the diagnostic section of the service manual
Do you know what the manual shows? I lost my copy on an old laptop and haven't done anything gnarly enough lately to need to get it back.

Toyota don't give a replacemet interval. I suspect it is driving and fuel quality related. If you look at this post the 5th picture is live data from Techstream. You mostly are looking for the 4 Injection Feedback readings, and when the car is warm they want to be within +/- 3, some advice is a smaller number than that. Mine were close to 5 before I replaced them. As Karl says fourby4diesel goes into more detail around injection volume for example.

Injector Swap - [Leaving Land Cruiser Club]

Thanks Rob,
I read your injector change post,informative and easy to understand.
Re my car:
Just talked to a mechanic mate of mine with 50 years of working on
Toyotas at his garage. He said just be aware of changes in noise level,fuel consumption and exhaust smoke.
Cheers

Last edited:
Why ? If injectors etc have all been changed properly to spec there should be no problem with noise level, fuel consumption and exhaust smoke after changing, unless there is something else amiss, or is your mechanic talking about noting for your own reference any differences between before and after - after hopefully for the better ?

As everyone has said - you have to watch all the Fourby4Diesel videos. Join the facebook groups too if you can.

It seems that Techstream readouts don't give a full picture. The most important thing you can do is check your oil pickup during an oil change. Just look up through the hole omce it's dripped out and make sure if it's clear. If it's not - do them soon.

A lot of the people over there change them every 60k KM ... so every 6 or 7 minutes.
Gary on here said he sold his LC5 with 275k or something on originals. So somewhere in between :laughing:

Basically, watch the videos. There is so much info and detail over there. It's changed my thinking about a lot of things ... because I knew so little.

There was a short clip on one of the facebook groups the other day showing the difference between entering the compensation codes after the job and not as well - it was quite a difference. Lumpy and knocky vs smooth.

Why ? If injectors etc have all been changed properly to spec there should be no problem with noise level, fuel consumption and exhaust smoke after changing, unless there is something else amiss, or is your mechanic talking about noting for your own reference any differences between before and after - after hopefully for the better ?
Re my car TM:
He was saying don't bother changing them unless you notice any changes

No problem TM,
Sometimes when I read my own posts I read them wrong.I spend more time correcting my wrting than I do writing.
See what I mean...

He was saying don't bother changing them unless you notice any changes
Remember I don't know what I'm talking about .... buuuut I've seen it said that the first "obvious" indication some people have had with injectors not functioning properly is a cracked piston. I suppose it depends "how" the injectors are degrading. If it's seats and rings then the oil pickup could show that (from the effects of blow-by) - but if it's just not squirting right for other reasons the signs could easily be missed (who hasn't got a cloud of unburnt fuel with acceleration?). I'd worry the first "obvious" sign could be the dreaded cracked piston (due to incorrect firing etc).

That said, "obvious" is pretty subjective right? Who knows what "obvious" signs people were ignoring before the "crack". Mrs tells me I'm very good at missing "obvious" signs every day.

I'm at 150k miles on original injectors. No "obvious" signs other than I might expect being an '03 (bit smoky under load etc) .... but then I drive it a lot so I must be missing gradual changes over time. I've decided I've reached my threshold for dice rolling and gonna get the job done. 150,000 miles is 240,000 km - thats 4 times the recommended over on FourBy4Diesel AND they've been in there 21 years. That's probably more important in my mind than the miles to be honest.

I might not agree with changing every 6 minutes - but it "feels" mine have done their time now. Prevention better than cure and all that.

When you've changed your injectors Sam let me know how much it cost and then I'll decide whether to change or not...
If it can be less than a grand with Denso injectors I'd be interested.
I think my car's worth less than the OEM injectors price!

Last edited:
Back