Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruiser to the rescue!

MikesVX80

Garage
Country Flag
great_britain
Aaah, sometimes life has a way of making you smile. Now, my father is a Land Rover man, and loves his Discovery 4 very much indeed. Needless to say, when I turned my back on LR's (after 2x RR Classics and a G4 RR Sport), the snorts of derision from his corner were loud and frequent! To say he dislikes/(disliked) my Landcruiser would be an understatement.

As well as his fondness for LR's, he also has a modest collection of classic cars, and this weekend I got a sheepish phone call from him asking if myself and my Landcruiser wouldn't mind going out to rescue him and one of his cars (a 1937 Austin 7), which had just decided to throw its gearbox out the pram!

Naturally I obliged, but it was hard to contain the smug grin as I pulled up to give him a tow - but only after he admited the 80 was a fabulous vehicle and he would be very grateful for a lift :D

IMG_1611.JPG
IMG_1613.JPG

Last edited:
I am guessing you did not feel that Austin on the end of the strap ;)

Shame, such a sweet little Austin 7 having to be recovered by a brute of a modern invention!

I think I could have towed that on level asphalt, with my bicycle :lol:

Its like your helping an old man across the road :clap::thumbup:

I am guessing you did not feel that Austin on the end of the strap ;)

Not in the slightest! :)

Shame, such a sweet little Austin 7 having to be recovered by a brute of a modern invention!

I think I could have towed that on level asphalt, with my bicycle :lol:

Brute?! :shock::icon-biggrin:I did think about rocking up on the Triumph Tiger and strapping it to the luggage rack, but then remembered my mum was with him too and they might both need a lift home :whistle:

Nothing like feeling smug is there Mike, careful next time though it's now illegal to tow with a rope.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nothing like giving the 80 a good workout now and again!:lol: An old uncle of mine (long gone now) had one very similar to that back in the 60's and he called it an Austin Ruby? I imagine they're worth quite a bit these days.
Having been called on several times over the last couple of years to lend a tow I bought a rigid tow pole from Machine Mart. I guess you could make one up fairly easily but for £15 and a spring loaded action I couldn't be bothered.

Nothing like feeling smug is there Mike, careful next time though it's now illegal to tow with a rope.

I didn't know that JM. Is it a recent bit of legislation? Just as well I bought the pole then.

How do you keep a 3m pole in your toolkit, are they telescopic or something?

A bit bit more legislation for no worthwhile return, IMO. :icon-rolleyes:

I don't think that's true, is it??

In the event of a breakdown, be aware that towing a vehicle on a tow rope is potentially dangerous. You should consider professional recovery.
Laws CUR reg 100 & MV(DL)R reg 43

From: https://www.gov.uk/rules-drivers-motorcyclists-89-to-102/vehicle-towing-and-loading-98

Nothing like giving the 80 a good workout now and again!:lol: An old uncle of mine (long gone now) had one very similar to that back in the 60's and he called it an Austin Ruby? I imagine they're worth quite a bit these days.
Having been called on several times over the last couple of years to lend a tow I bought a rigid tow pole from Machine Mart. I guess you could make one up fairly easily but for £15 and a spring loaded action I couldn't be bothered.

Haha, yeah just wanted to test it's towing capabilities really! ;-) And yes, that's right, they're all Austin 7's but that model is known as the "Ruby" i.e. a hardtop 4 seater. The luxury ones (like the one pictured) had a full length sunroof and opening front window, plus some other "luxuries"!! They did many other body styles like an Opal (four seater tourer/convertible), Ulster (2-seater open top racer), etc. They're fun little cars, although not for me - I prefer something a little faster! :D

An ex-colleague of mine used to drive one as his daily driver, he had a Land Rover too, so you can imagine how nice it was for him to use the little seven! :lol:

Certain it's illegal now, Read about it & heard on the radio a few months ago, can't find anything about it on gurgle though.

Hm, still think I'm right.

Not arguing with you JM, but I've just spent half an hour on googlies and have only come up with "it's not illegal".

There are plenty of forums and sites such as this, even the RAC and the "ask the police" forum said it was not illegal to tow with a rope, giving advice that the rope shouldn't be too long and if it is long it should have bells on it or something similar. It just doesn't sound like its regulated much at all. Just my interweb research.

I just did the same Clive and all I could find about towing with a bar was that it should be type approved, but towing with a rope doesn't seem to be illegal.

Okay, i stand corrected, For now. lol

Thats all very well and noble of you JM :icon-biggrin: but most of us on this forum are towing folks at some time or another and it seems that it would be good for us all to have a definitive answer on this.

Im not a fan of regulations, but I'm keen not to break the law.

Here it's a free-for-all, by law you have to carry a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, warning triangles (2) and a reflectorised vest, but towing is a joke. The fuel stations sell the woven nylon thingies with snap lock hooks at each end, or you can get wire tow ropes that are so thin that I wouldn't trust them as a washing line.

I towed a daewoo tico with one years ago and he insisted we use it. Of course, at the first set of lights he braked as I pulled away and I didn't even feel it break!

The UK is full of regulations, but this one still seems to be a loose end waiting for the Green Party to jump on it :lol:

How do you keep a 3m pole in your toolkit, are they telescopic or something?

A bit bit more legislation for no worthwhile return, IMO. :icon-rolleyes:

Breaks down into 3 pieces and is less than 2m long when in use. https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/tb-2-towing-bar?da=1&TC=SRC-tow pole Avoids the risk of being 'rear ended' by the towed vehicle.

Just done a bit of Googling myself and it appears that ropes are not actually illegal, just not recommended....https://www.gov.uk/rules-drivers-motorcyclists-89-to-102/vehicle-towing-and-loading-98...............................................................................................

........EDIT....As already posted above!!

Last edited:
Back