Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Landcruisers at work

I only zoomed in to see if that was a hi ab and all became clear. V . Posh.

:icon-biggrin:

Thanks, but i wish it was posh. I bought the trailer 13 years ago off a bloke on a building site in brum and it was old then. The hiab was the right price on ebay, i made a frame out of old channel that was in the corner of the shed. Found an old hydraulic tail lift pump and bodged that in, squeals like a pig but works.:thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Everything out today so when duty calls:-

IMG_1271.JPG

Half a tonne of our finest Maris Pipers sir !!

Love ‘em, I put 780 kg in the back of my 80, and it went down just over an inch :lol:

Aye the springs might take it, but the head gasket wont!

My trailer must weigh 3/4 of a tonne and i've towed it 3500 miles at 70 to 90mph twice without engine trouble and that's the 1kz-te , Andy is carting spuds in a petrol truck i believe .

I regularly load the 4Runner to max weight, so 500kg of fire wood. That's notorious for doing HGs but I don't think its the load that's the problem on mine...

What's likely to damage by overloading the rear of these? I've had close to a ton of granite tiles in the back and she was on the bump stops for the 55 miles home. Took it relatively easy but still did the speed limit on the M1.

My trailer must weigh 3/4 of a tonne and i've towed it 3500 miles at 70 to 90mph twice without engine trouble and that's the 1kz-te , Andy is carting spuds in a petrol truck i believe .

Yep you're absolutely right Shayne, half a tonne didn't put it on its bump stops and I had no head gasket probs either. Its never had a tow bar on and just done 76k.

What's likely to damage by overloading the rear of these? I've had close to a ton of granite tiles in the back and she was on the bump stops for the 55 miles home. Took it relatively easy but still did the speed limit on the M1.

If you still have spring travel, and they’re in good order, the load, or overload, won’t do too much harm, it’s more the effect on handling that’s the problem (if any).

However, if you’re riding on the bump-stops, that puts quite a lot of extra stress on the chassis and axle casings. Probably OK if the road is smooth, but hitting potholes and the like will cause much higher impact loads on both. Not recommended TBH.

I you are driving on the stops, take it slow and avoid bumps and holes as much as possible. Stiffer springs would be better, but they will give you a harder ride when not loaded. Airbags are a good addition, you can then stiffen the ride just when carrying the load.

A bit of a towing mission today!
20180111_143159.jpg

1kzt powered 71... many many smiles per miles! 84 ft3 reclaimed oak no problem on the hills! The 9 coil 80 series front springs are definitely up for the heavy trailer work!:icon-biggrin::thumbup:

Back