Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Another late night last night to get the cruiser ready for today, when I was hoping to get it registered and on the road. :icon-smile:

Wanted to get the flares and mud flaps fitted on the drivers side, but there was a couple of tiny bits of rust to sort out first.

Rear arch.

P1030175_zpsc85ac4e7.jpg

front wing.

P1030176_zps452a9e8e.jpg

Ground it back and then sprayed it with dinitrol rust converter.

P1030177_zps4ec41df6.jpg

P1030178_zps9033fe42.jpg

P1030179_zps61d3738d.jpg

Got it painted.

P1030185_zps0025226c.jpg

P1030187_zpsb6cbc963.jpg

Theyve got a nice big MIG welder here which I used to make a mud flap bracket.

P1030180_zps98977779.jpg

P1030182_zps50830480.jpg

Drilled some holes in it.

P1030183_zpscdd0d6bc.jpg

Sprayed it black and bolted it on.

P1030184_zps088ab25b.jpg

Mud flap on.

P1030186_zps0a0c5139.jpg

Got the flares on next.

P1030189_zps1d5a9d3e.jpg

P1030190_zps3423a09a.jpg

P1030192_zpsaa1d38ff.jpg

Had to take the rear wheel off to screw the rear flare on.

P1030194_zpsf6058608.jpg

P1030197_zpsaec356f4.jpg

I then pulled it outside and gave it a good wash with the big diesel heated pressure washer. :icon-cool:

So today I set off at 7.30am and got to the Vic Roads branch for my 9am appointment only to be told I needed to get it inspected by an engineer who would sign the import approval form to say the vehicle complies to Australian standards. :doh:

They printed me off a list of all the places I could take it to. So I called a few and arranged to take it over to one of the places.
2 hours driving later I got there and they had a look over the Cruiser. :|

First FAIL...............................

Seat belts. 1 was missing the little label that is sown to the bottom of the seat belt. The other side was slightly worn. :icon-rolleyes:

Headlights next...........A tiny bit of mud/rust inside the lenses.

Spare wheel is obscuring the drivers side light slightly. :icon-confused:

Then they spotted the seam of weld below the windscreen which I never got round to grinding down, filling and painting. :oops:

So after explaining that it was from a rust repair, because 70's always rust below the screens on UK 70's, and its quite a common thing to have to weld along there. :whistle:

So they gave me a list of things to sort out.

New headlights and seat belts. Remove the spare wheel and fix the rust repairs. :think:

I stopped at a 4x4 wreckers yard on the way back. Pair of headlights from a hi-lux (fingers crossed they fit. :pray:) for the bargain price of $30 (£20) the pair. :icon-biggrin:

For a pair of second hand seat belts they wanted $300 (£200) :shock:

So obviously I left with just the headlights. Going to see if the seat belts in the farm hilux are any good, and might borrow them for mine. :think:

So its not going to be on the road before this weekend, as I also need a compliance sticker which will take about a week to reach me. :thumbdown:

Does it not need a compliance plate Ben? I'd have thought that VICRoads will be looking for one... if it does need one then you'll need to pay through the nose for that as well...

Hopefully not Ed. :icon-wink:

From my experience over here its all about who you know, not what you know. If this wasnt a public forum, youd be amazed at some of the things I could tell you have gone on over here with everything. :shhh:

So today I set off at 7.30am and got to the Vic Roads branch for my 9am appointment only to be told I needed to get it inspected by an engineer who would sign the import approval form to say the vehicle complies to Australian standards. :doh:

They printed me off a list of all the places I could take it to. So I called a few and arranged to take it over to one of the places.
2 hours driving later I got there and they had a look over the Cruiser. :|

First FAIL...............................

Seat belts. 1 was missing the little label that is sewn to the bottom of the seat belt. The other side was slightly worn. :icon-rolleyes:

Headlights next...........A tiny bit of mud/rust inside the lenses.

Spare wheel is obscuring the drivers side light slightly. :icon-confused:

Then they spotted the seam of weld below the windscreen which I never got round to grinding down, filling and painting. :oops:

So after explaining that it was from a rust repair, because 70's always rust below the screens on UK 70's, and its quite a common thing to have to weld along there. :whistle:

So they gave me a list of things to sort out.

New headlights and seat belts. Remove the spare wheel and fix the rust repairs. :think:

I stopped at a 4x4 wreckers yard on the way back. Pair of headlights from a hi-lux (fingers crossed they fit. :pray:) for the bargain price of $30 (£20) the pair. :icon-biggrin:

For a pair of second hand seat belts they wanted $300 (£200) :shock:

So obviously I left with just the headlights. Going to see if the seat belts in the farm hilux are any good, and might borrow them for mine. :think:

So its not going to be on the road before this weekend, as I also need a compliance sticker which will take about a week to reach me. :thumbdown:

Sorry Ben (ducking for cover from the incoming bashing for being a smart arse), but you did need that compliance plate that I thought you would... It's impossible to rego a vehicle without one unless it is pre-ADR of 197x... some things are unavoidable...

If you loose the Compliance Plate it's impossible to register it as a new owner, as it wouldn't pass inspection.

Have you asked Mr T how much for some new seatbelts, sometimes the breakers can take the piss a bit with their prices... and if the build date on the seat belt is much older than your vehicle build date then I think they might get cross...

Last edited:
The guy who has been advising me got it wrong. Hes used to importing older cars, where no compliance sticker is needed. :thumbdown:

Good luck with all that Ben. Still enjoying your thread of course. :techie-studyinggra:

Cheers John. :thumbup:

The guy who has been advising me got it wrong. Hes used to importing older cars, where no compliance sticker is needed. :thumbdown:

Pre ADR's are a lot easier, and whole lot easier to modify as well... there is no need to make sure they meet any of the ADR regs in terms of all sorts of things! Emissions is the big one that is outside the rules, but things like engine and brakes are still under the remit.

The ADR's are quite strict, and have some interesting rules that have led to a lot of work (like that Honda you posted before with the additional door bars-does yours have them as a thought? If not it would be easiest to get a set off of a 70 at the breakers)

Good Luck with this next stage! Once that's done it'll be a breeze... But in the meantime does this affect it's Un-Registered vehicle permit status as it doesn't (have the evidence that it) match the ADR's?

The compliance plate is like a chassis/VIN plate on the bulkhead/structural part of the bodywork. Is it going to be going to a vehicle "manufacturer" or is it going to someone who does the import inspections for personal imports? I'm guessing from what you've said it's going to someone who does vehicle inspections, rather than a "manufacturer"; the "manufacturers" tended to deal with HiLux Surf's and Terrano's from Japan when the rules were a bit slacker than they are now.

I've just found that I can head to Aus at any time, but we (GF) can't start work until I start uni at the end of June; already started looking at places to live and cars to buy... can't justify another 'Cruiser, but looking at a 4Runner instead

Last edited:
I mentioned the idea to a friend who owns and runs a 4x4 garage over here and this was his response:-

The old change-over switch concept is very old school and such ‘budget’ measures are not ideal.
Firstly, people forget and that causes dramas after a long drive and no charge in the second battery, or they drain both when stationary.

Secondly, they potentially introduce surges into the electrical system when connecting due to differences in voltage potential when switch under load and there is no means of surge protection built in.

Its just not worth it. In more modern vehicles it can actually fry ECU’s.

Leave that suggestion to the history books I’m afraid.

:think:

Interesting. I can't say I've had any troubles over the 3 years I've had the system fitted. Forgotten to remove the key once or twice when parked up but no drama's as I remembered long before I drained the main batteries past the point of being unable to start again. Not too sure how surges could be introduced.., maybe if you were running something off the leisure battery while driving and then suddenly turned the kill switch you might damage whatever's running off it, but I certainly can't see it happening the other way 'round. I'll keep in mind the comment about frying the ECU and won't fit the idea to a vehicle that runs off one.

Does your friend by any chance sell split charge relays?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Ed, one of the 4 import approval forms is for obtaining the compliance sticker. The guy signing and stamping the compliance forms has sent off for the sticker and that will be sent directly to me.
He has kept the rest of the import approval forms, and once I've corrected the few issues he wasnt happy with I need to take it back to him and pay him $250 for doing the inspection and $85 for the compliance sticker.

Then I can go back to Vic Roads and they can register it on the road.

Unregistered vehicle permit is still valid, as its designed so you can move the vehicle around while getting it road legal.

But it runs out on Wednesday so I'm going to have to buy another one. :icon-biggrin:

Interesting. I can't say I've had any troubles over the 3 years I've had the system fitted. Forgotten to remove the key once or twice when parked up but no drama's as I remembered long before I drained the main batteries past the point of being unable to start again. Not too sure how surges could be introduced.., maybe if you were running something off the leisure battery while driving and then suddenly turned the kill switch you might damage whatever's running off it, but I certainly can't see it happening the other way 'round. I'll keep in mind the comment about frying the ECU and won't fit the idea to a vehicle that runs off one.

Does your friend by any chance sell split charge relays?

Fair enough.

Doesnt yours have an ECU though? :think:

He does sell split charge relays amongst other things, but he loves helping people and offering advice. Hes not pushing for a sale at all and is a great guy.

Ask Tony S or Scott, they will tell you what a great guy Chris at FNB is. :thumbup:

Wednesday I worked 8am till 6pm driving tractors. :icon-cool:

Few pics of my truck in daylight with the new flares and mud flaps. :icon-biggrin:

P1030198_zps5161f810.jpg

P1030199_zps9d0ca671.jpg

P1030200_zpsbfb22aef.jpg

P1030201_zpsad4ee872.jpg

P1030202_zps4da41a36.jpg

P1030204_zps76bc331b.jpg

I then came back and worked till midnight on the truck. :sleeping-sleep:

Decided to get the headlights changed first (not that they really needed changing, but oh well.........at least I've got a spare pair now.)

The screws were rusty and very hard to get out. Ended up having to use mole grips.

P1030205_zpsd9ab9875.jpg

P1030206_zpsed30bf24.jpg

The replacement headlights which are from a hilux are both slightly different, but one was the same.

P1030208_zpsa895754f.jpg

Other one was slightly different but still fitted perfectly.

P1030209_zpsc20b87e3.jpg

P1030211_zps5b75681d.jpg

This is the supposed rust/damage. :icon-rolleyes:

P1030212_zps4579a478.jpg

P1030213_zps40368775.jpg

Method for removing the rusty 20 year old screws/bolts.

P1030214_zpsc76e50ce.jpg

When I fitted the bumper indicators I also soldered on some wires for the side lights (red and black wires in the pic below). At some point I want to wire these to the sidelights.

P1030215_zpsaa178a90.jpg

Snorkel took a hit the other day when I was driving round the showground and an over hanging branch ripped the grill clean off.
Fortunately I upgraded to a metal one, so it can easily be bent back when damaged. :icon-twisted:

P1030217_zps2b988f83.jpg

Used a hammer and anvil to straighten it.

P1030218_zps5eb3fd4a.jpg

This is the rust repair weld that needs sorting out. Had it not been so bloody cold in the UK before I left this would have been done.

P1030219_zps2e477fe9.jpg

P1030220_zps6e64db06.jpg

Bonnet removed.

P1030221_zps22ad7555.jpg

Found MORE Lincomb sand inside the bonnet when I removed it. :icon-surprised:

P1030222_zps9421b98d.jpg

P1030223_zps275fe650.jpg

Admittedly the weld looks shit. :thumbdown:

In my defence it was MIG welding outside on a very windy day. :oops:

P1030224_zpsd2c36452.jpg

Spotted these in the workshop and thought they looked perfect for this job. :icon-biggrin:

P1030226_zps434576ae.jpg

Rubber sheet to protect the new screen.

P1030227_zpsebb7e52e.jpg

Air grinder.

P1030229_zps61ca07d9.jpg

Put a sheet across the engine to catch all the horrible bits of swarf.

P1030231_zps1092f23e.jpg

P1030233_zps265e370c.jpg

Spotted a big industrial style vacume cleaner, which worked well for sucking up any bits of swarf that didnt land on the sheet.

P1030234_zpsbb53e34b.jpg

Used a magnetic tipped screwdriver to get the last few bits which fell in behind the bonnet hinge.

P1030235_zps50ce1215.jpg

Mixed half the filler with half the catalyst in the pic below and soon realized this was far too much catalyst. :oops:

Think I must have been used to the UK conditions and had forgotten it was 30 degrees inside the workshop. :icon-cool:

P1030236_zps47d64f69.jpg

Filled.

P1030237_zps1ec267b5.jpg

P1030238_zpsd6f2b730.jpg

P1030239_zps751278a0.jpg

Sanded down the filler.

P1030241_zps91e2236b.jpg

Painted.

P1030242_zpsf7d0a2ba.jpg

P1030243_zpsce1bcdda.jpg

P1030244_zps0ad960d1.jpg

P1030245_zps143b2b17.jpg

P1030246_zpsf4ff5c93.jpg

Bonnet back on.

P1030249_zpse09959c3.jpg

P1030250_zps1daa9f45.jpg

P1030251_zps21870c06.jpg

P1030252_zps8d5d7b0e.jpg

Had a lovely evening and day with Laura! :dance:

Came home this afternoon and decided to get the seat belts removed so I can try and get some more tomorrow morning.

Emptied all the tools out of the back.

P1030261_zps11bc9d3e.jpg

Removed the angle aluminium trims and discovered quite a bit of mold when I pulled back the rubber mat. :thumbdown:
6-7 weeks in the shipping container must have caused that. :doh:

P1030262_zps48523047.jpg

Removed the ply from the top of the drawer system.

P1030263_zpsfa8280ea.jpg

This then gave me access to the side panels/door cards that I needed to remove to get to the seat belts.

P1030264_zps17e0d1ca.jpg

P1030265_zps2a208064.jpg

Panel pulled off I could unbolt the seat belts.

P1030266_zps2bc6173b.jpg

P1030267_zpsfdd2eb1b.jpg

Belts removed.

P1030268_zpsc36147e6.jpg

So one of the belts is missing the orange label, and apparently the belts are worn, meaning they would be unsafe in a crash. :icon-rolleyes:

P1030269_zps148e724b.jpg

I called round a few Toyota wreckers on Wednesday, but non of them had any bundera (OZ version of LJ70) in stock. :thumbdown:

I did look at the ones in the 70 ute, but they looked different. I'm going to have a proper look tomorrow now I've got mine off to compare them to. :think:

Bloody annoying because I'm sure the ones in the 70 the roof came off would have been mint. Johnie fancy sending them over mate? :lol:

Plan for tomorrow is go get some seat belts and a few bits of camping gear and then get over and meet up with all the guys/girls and kids who are on the camping/4x4ing trip. :icon-cool:

So with that in mind, I needed to get the proper tyres fitted! :dance:

No need to struggle carrying stupidly big 37" tyres around anymore! :violin:

P1030270_zps3a225ec7.jpg

I want to replace the suspension and give it more lift. I'm not happy with the sagging +2" ironman lift.

P1030273_zps320b04d4.jpg

P1030274_zps1b3373e1.jpg

Might fit some chains to hold the mud flaps away from the tyres a bit. :think:

P1030275_zps51327b10.jpg

P1030276_zpsea565a2f.jpg

Looks much better!!! :clap:

P1030278_zps0e359e02.jpg

P1030280_zps055b7b2f.jpg

P1030281_zps33db16cb.jpg

The workshop here is so awesome!!!!!

Every tool I could wish for,plenty of space, can get the truck inside, and best of all its far away enough from the main house that I can hammer, bang and grind all night long and not disturb anyone. :dance:

If all goes to plan tomorrow, expect some pics of me off roading the LandCruiser very soon! :icon-cool:

Attachments

• P1030266_zps2bc6173b.jpg
    P1030266_zps2bc6173b.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 55
  • P1030267_zpsfdd2eb1b.jpg
    P1030267_zpsfdd2eb1b.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 46
  • P1030268_zpsc36147e6.jpg
    P1030268_zpsc36147e6.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Great stuff Ben,

Keep on pluggin' away.

Can't you just "find" an orange label and sew that back onto your seat belt?

Gra.

what about the seat belts out of a troopy or even a hd 70 but with the same style body ie swb ?

Yes it can be very annoying for the neighbours when I'm banging and grinding away all night, ooh er missus :laughing-rolling:

Ben did you try asking for a seatbelt for a:
-middy (not the little beer)
-Bundy (not the rum)
-73 or 74 (BJ or FJ)

I'd be surprised if one out of the Ute or the Troopy didn't fit as well; I suspect the seat dimensions are very similar.

If you're still not having any luck I know someone in NSW who may have a suitable belt from another Bundy as he has had a few over the years.

I hope you have a minerals licence for the importing of that sand, Ben. They're quite particular about that so I hear.

C

Great stuff Ben,

Keep on pluggin' away.

Can't you just "find" an orange label and sew that back onto your seat belt?

Gra.

:thumbup:

I did think about it Gra, but they said the other belt was worn/old so they both needed replacing. :icon-rolleyes:

I had great contacts for the bonded warehouse, road worthy certificate, and which Vic Roads office to go to. Which meant it was a complete breeze.

But I didnt have a contact for the compliance certificate, and the guy I went to seems to be a bit picky. :(

what about the seat belts out of a troopy or even a hd 70 but with the same style body ie swb ?

Thats what I ended up doing in the end mate. :thumbup:

Yes it can be very annoying for the neighbours when I'm banging and grinding away all night, ooh er missus :laughing-rolling:

:lol:

Ben did you try asking for a seatbelt for a:
-middy (not the little beer)
-Bundy (not the rum)
-73 or 74 (BJ or FJ)

I'd be surprised if one out of the Ute or the Troopy didn't fit as well; I suspect the seat dimensions are very similar.

If you're still not having any luck I know someone in NSW who may have a suitable belt from another Bundy as he has had a few over the years.

Sorted now thanks mate. :thumbup:

I hope you have a minerals licence for the importing of that sand, Ben. They're quite particular about that so I hear.

C

:lol:

Dont think I will ever see the last of that Lincomb sand. :|

Your ment to be off roading :icon-biggrin:

I was and it was awesome! :dance:

Update to follow. :icon-wink:

So Saturday morning I spent 4 hours driving round trying to get seat belts. :thumbdown:

In the end I went to the other side of the city to what can only be described as the best Toyota scrap yard I've ever seen. :clap:

A huge warehouse with 15 brand new 4 post lifts/ramps in a row all with different cruisers and hiluxes on being stripped for parts.

They then had the orange and blue warehouse racking 20meters+ high with walkways/floors between each level all full of cruiser parts. :icon-biggrin:

They took the seat belts out of a 3 year old 70 series pick up (ute) that had been rolled, as they couldnt find any on the shelf.
After much battering with the guy who I think was Lebanese I got them for $300. Much more than I wanted to pay, but much better than the $400 he wanted. :icon-smile:

P1030282_zpsee226e93.jpg

The new one is slightly different but fortunately it fits OK in my truck.

P1030283_zps86427dcd.jpg

I did also get the other bits, as my seat belt wouldnt click into these in the donor 70. But the stalks are too short to fit in my truck, and as they came out of a 70 with a bench seat, the belt only fits into the loose buckle which isnt on a stalk.

P1030284_zpsaeeb24ef.jpg

Started loading the camping gear in. The new self inflating double air matress would prove to be very comfortable and warm. :clap:

P1030285_zps38f2f771.jpg

And off I went.

P1030288_zps4460bc0a.jpg

I had no address and non of the 3 map books I've got had enough detail to show where I was going.
But some how I navigated the 50mile trip there using some rough notes I made using google maps. :icon-cool:

P1030289_zps1b67a338.jpg

Just oven an hour to reach the property.

P1030290_zpsb5c1578c.jpg

P1030291_zpseece100b.jpg

P1030292_zps5db218bb.jpg

P1030293_zps22db061a.jpg

P1030294_zpsc90ce45e.jpg

I drove to the forrest, but thought I must have gone the wrong way because the tracks ahead looked extreme, and I knew the club was towing a toilet trailer in and didnt think there was anyway they could have come this way.

So I turned around.

P1030295_zpsc32ac8da.jpg

After managing to get in touch with one of the members, he confirmed I should have continued through the forrest.

So I turned around and drove back through the forrest.

P1030297_zps97bcb969.jpg

P1030298_zpsa5534606.jpg

Drove through the forrest and through a paddock (Id say field, but they dont call them that over here) and down to the campsite which was a lovely spot with a river on 3 sides.

Set my tent up and attempted to cook dinner, only to discover the gas cylinder I'd bought was empty. :doh:

Fortunately everyone offered me they're gas/stoves, so dinner was saved. :icon-biggrin:

P1030299_zps22bfc68b.jpg

The night consisted of everyone sitting round a huge campfire. :violin:

P1030301_zps3ba2eae9.jpg

And of course plenty of bottles of TED. :dance:

P1030304_zps0a7e639c.jpg

P1030314_zpse9bf1599.jpg

P1030315_zps174da3e6.jpg

P1030316_zps97179749.jpg

P1030318_zps11ad761c.jpg

Breakfast time.

P1030321_zps394c4f99.jpg

The beer and steak here are really really good. :clap:

But the sausages are terrible. :thumbdown:

These tasted as bad as the look. :icon-rolleyes:

P1030322_zps13111ddc.jpg

Apparently there is a butcher in Dandenong that makes and sells English sausages, so I will have to try and source some for the next trip. :icon-cool:

P1030325_zpse09b7c1c.jpg

The property we were on belonged to one of the club members who builds and drives challenge trucks. :icon-twisted:
Up until 5-6 years ago they used to host a lot of events here. :icon-biggrin:

Then the state goverment changed the law so that motor sport events can only be held at race tracks. :icon-rolleyes:

That law is due to be scrapped in August hopefully, then events can start again. :pray:

Anyway a few of the guys had offered to show me round the property. The rock garden sounded particularly exciting. :icon-cool:

Aired down to 20psi.

P1030327_zpse0a0a895.jpg

Emptied all the stuff out of the back and I was ready. :icon-twisted:

P1030328_zps3869f5f0.jpg

Before we set off I had a chat with one of the guys who owns this lovely 60 series.

P1030329_zps77e1689c.jpg

P1030330_zps533df522.jpg

He has owned it for the past 20 years and because it has been regularly serviced and maintained it has never broken down or needed any major parts replacing. His mates one has just done 1million k's (600,000 miles) :icon-biggrin:

Anyway.................back to the tracks.

I followed Dean in his Patrol tray back.

P1030331_zps21c97925.jpg

The pics dont really show quite how steep a lot of the terrain here is.

This is the rock garden, which is the start of a creak and runs all the way down the mountain. Its atleast 1km long, although I dont think Id be able to drive all of it because its too extreme.

P1030333_zps28458255.jpg

P1030334_zpsae8c89d6.jpg

Its very similar to the new rock section at Lincomb, but obviously this one is natural.

P1030335_zpsf8d592ff.jpg

Very overgrown as it hasnt been driven for a few years. Once they do another event here everything will be opened up again.
The owner had said we could drive anything we wanted, and if we got stuck any where, we could cut trees down and make a new track to get out. :icon-biggrin:

P1030336_zps33b52cb3.jpg

I decided not to attempt it without my front locker and winch, but next time I will definitely be attempting it. :icon-twisted:

John, the guy running the trip drives this lovely 80 series.

P1030337_zps619eaaa6.jpg

P1030338_zps5c4f0071.jpg

The guys then took me to one of the tracks I saw when I first got to the woods. A steep rutted, rocky climb that looked very extreme. :icon-twisted:

P1030340_zps491dce63.jpg

Had a wonder up and this is the view back down.

P1030341_zps4473c05d.jpg

The only person there not driving a LandCruiser or Patrol was Craig in a disco. He was going to attempt the climb in his twin locked disco, but decided against it. Probably a wise decision as I struggled with 37"s. :icon-twisted:

P1030343_zps7aa269ef.jpg

We moved the trucks around so I could attempt the climb.

P1030344_zps592c18bc.jpg

I aired down even further, this time to 15psi, and off I went. :icon-biggrin:

I came to a stop a few times, but by backing up a little and changing lines slightly, and plenty of right foot she got quite far up.

The rear locker did a great job, but as I didnt have the front one fitted it was a struggle. I reached one point where 2 tree roots were going across the track and try as I might I couldnt get over them.

They can be seen quite clearly on the pic below.

P1030345_zps1e2c109c.jpg

One of the guys had come with me and he used his hand held radio to radio down to the others and tell them we needed the chainsaw.

P1030347_zps8a0f4678.jpg

P1030348_zpsfe48febd.jpg

I wanted to cut the fallen tree out of the way on the side of the track, as I was sure without that there I could take a different line and avoid the 2 tree roots which were causing me problems.

P1030349_zpscad5ed9e.jpg

I wondered down to meet the others, view back up.

P1030351_zpsca3e57ad.jpg

P1030353_zps7c5865a8.jpg

P1030354_zpsda416955.jpg

P1030355_zpsd17baaee.jpg

P1030356_zps7d4a127d.jpg

P1030357_zpsc8a4cc9e.jpg

Tree cleared and I shot up the track. The next section was very rough, and as I had no winch, and knew no one would be able to get to me, I had to make it through. Going back down back wards really wouldnt have been an option.
So I gunned it in first low and was convinced I was going to hit one of the trees with the rear quarter panel, but luckily I missed it. One of the front wheels then bounced up 2 ft into the air which was pretty scary. But I made it through and up the track. :dance:

I'm hoping some of the guys might have got some good pics/videos because it was pretty mad. :icon-twisted:

I managed to find my way back down to the guys and we set off so they could show me some other challenging bits.

P1030360_zpsae2c2849.jpg

P1030361_zpsceca889e.jpg

They showed me a few tricky rocky sections which I drove while they all watched which they seemed to enjoy. :icon-smile:

I then popped a wheel in the air and jumped out to take a few pics.

P1030363_zps9bf653ed.jpg

P1030364_zps222257f6.jpg

P1030365_zps3a7dbb46.jpg

P1030366_zpsf2e1bb1c.jpg

P1030367_zps731eb296.jpg

I then found I couldnt reverse as I was against a bank, and forward wasnt an option as the wheel off the ground was just getting higher and higher.

So a quick winch pull was needed.

P1030369_zps90271176.jpg

P1030370_zpsb444f547.jpg

We had a walk round and looked at some of the tracks going up the hill. I'm not sure I would have attempted any of them in a 4x4. One was like a shear cliff face, the challenge trucks must have had to winch the entire way up. It was that steep I think it would be a struggle to get up it on a trials motorbike. :icon-surprised:

P1030368_zpsfd7e6cb3.jpg

One of the guys turned up in his lovely 70 series. :drool:

P1030371_zps6b1a8ee1.jpg

We then went back to the camp for lunch.

P1030372_zps1a9da812.jpg

P1030373_zpsd6d78daa.jpg

P1030374_zps2323b9f1.jpg

P1030375_zpse66aa072.jpg

P1030376_zps562dc304.jpg

We then spent the afternoon drinking and chatting round the campfire till the early hours. A great bunch and a real mix of people. The youngest was 6months and the oldest in their 80's. :icon-biggrin:

P1030378_zps83f0383a.jpg

Today (Monday) was much clearer and warmer. View from the tent.

P1030379_zps8b9c845b.jpg

P1030380_zps1c440f53.jpg

P1030382_zps2a47bef5.jpg

P1030383_zps0511b5ef.jpg

A lot of the guys were cooking on these.

P1030384_zps5d93a692.jpg

There called biji's and worked very well. :clap:

http://www.4wdshop.com.au/equip/bijibarbi/

Had a good look at John's 80 today and had a chat with him about the different mods hes done to it.

P1030385_zps83f68a20.jpg

Hes fitted a top mount intercooler in order to get EGT (exhaust gas temp) down. I asked if hed got an EGT gauge which he had and I told him its not a very common mod over in the UK, but I know a lot of 4wders do it in OZ.

He said its because when your driving in the desert and its a 40 degree day, the EGT can get dangerously high, obviously not a problem in the UK. :think:

P1030386_zps7f3202c9.jpg

Took the tent down and hung it over the back door to allow the base to dry as it was damp. Also got all my tyres aired up.

P1030387_zps27e1c8b3.jpg

With the camp packed up we all said good bye and left. Still couldnt believe they towed trailers, and caravans along the access track through the forrest.

P1030389_zpseb6bb25f.jpg

P1030390_zps0e7d0998.jpg

View back up the extreme track that I drove.

P1030391_zps888539fb.jpg

P1030392_zps3197e292.jpg

P1030393_zpseaf0f084.jpg

Back on the road home. Everything is looking very green now after the recent rain.

P1030397_zps47835c1b.jpg

P1030398_zpsb4eab972.jpg

P1030399_zpsd1c2f368.jpg

And home.

P1030400_zpsb20418ec.jpg

Gave it a good blast over with the jet wash, and while changing the tyres took the opportunity to clean underneath while the wheels were off.

P1030402_zps075eadbd.jpg

P1030403_zps32a27270.jpg

P1030404_zps1001a2cb.jpg

With the trolley jack and air impact wrench and steam pressure washer, it only took 40 mins to clean the truck and swap all the wheels. 40 mins after a trip is quite quick really, so I think thats what I will do in future, but obviously I would be putting the 35" tyres back on and not these tiny 31"s. :icon-cool:

P1030405_zps515d832d.jpg

P1030406_zpscc25890e.jpg

So a great weekend away with some great people. :dance:

Not a huge amount of driving, but loads of socialising which was still very enjoyable. On the next few trips we will be travelling around and camping at different spots, so will do a lot more driving. :icon-smile:

Cant begin to tell you how happy it made me to finally be driving my LandCruiser here in Australia, off road with a 4x4 club! :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin: :icon-biggrin:

It finally feels real and I'm loving it! :dance: :flags-australia:

Next time we go back to Bindarree if I've got my front locker and winch fitted I'm going to drive the most extreme tracks I've ever found! :icon-twisted:

Might take all day to drive and winch my way up the 1km rock garden, but it will be so much fun!!! :icon-twisted:

Hoping to get back to the guy doing the compliance certificate tomorrow to show him the new headlights, seatbelts and weld below the windscreen. Fingers crossed he says its ok and passes it off, then I can get it registered and get my Ozzy number plates. :pray:

Well done Ben, :clap: looks like a great place there, wouldn't fancy taking my 80 up that rock track, but looking forward to pics of you doing it. :thumbup:

Looks good!

I've sort of started my planning for my return to Aus; I have somewhere to stay when I arrive, a vehicle (but it's in ACT and I'll be in Northern NSW) and that's it... I could probably do with getting my tickets sorted out soon as well...

I'm looking at 4x4's as the car we have sorted at the moment is an old Volvo (that's my other weakness, and I know a very good Volvo forum with some good Aussie's on it) which won't do the tracks that well...

Good luck with the Inspection; if they only picked up a few things then it should be quite easy to get sorted.

Doesn't surprise me it was a Leb running the yard, have you found that certain nationalities got drawn into certain trades yet? Italians do concrete, Leb's (particularly in Western Sydney) run the workshops, Maltese do security, Irish build things and get the Italians to do the concreting.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I called the guy doing the compliance certificate today and he said not to bring it back for inspection until I have the compliance sticker which still hasnt arrived. He said he thought it would arrive today or tomorrow.
Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow. :pray:

The unregistered vehicle permit expires tomorrow. :thumbdown:

I thought 14 days would have been plenty long enought to get it registered and on the road, but obviously not. :icon-rolleyes:

Anyway.....................................

Been here 2 months today! :flags-australia:

Its gone really quick yet at the same time feels like I've been here for years! :icon-smile:

Ed whats your budget for a 4x4?

Are you planning on doing trips off road?

Not really found different nationalities doing different jobs/trades if I'm honest. But I dont doubt what your saying. :think:

Back