Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

LJ70 Build Thread!

Hey Ben,

Looks good!

What Garmin are you running? I'm trying to find a Tw@tnav, and have always run Garmins in the UK. Been looking at a handheld with Aus wide topo maps, but I'm wondering how yours does when off road? Is it running any extra maps, or is that the standard map?

There's a route that looks interesting alongside the GOR (a good diversion is this bit, but check the tides!) where there is the Old Ocean Road signposted...

Great update mate! Also good to see LJ performing almost flawlessly after the early on issues you had.

Thanks guys. :thumbup:

I'm still having a few overheating issues which need sorting ASAP. :thumbdown:

I find I have to have the electric fan switched on & the heater on full sometimes to stop the engine from overheating. :icon-cry:

I know Roger's engine doesnt overheat and his electric fan rarely comes on so I'm fairly sure its possible to run without the viscous fan and not have overheating issues.

I'm thinking that maybe the radiator cowl I made isnt deep enough and/or isnt allowing enough air through as the whole thing is sealed with just the 15" hole in the middle with the electric fan mounted over it. :think:

My mate is bringing my old viscous fan over when he comes in December as I forgot to put it in my shipping container.

So I'm thinking of putting the viscous fan back on and modifying the cowl/building a new one to suit the viscous fan.

The overheating issue hasnt been too much of a problem up till now, but as we get into summer and certainly for my big desert trip next year I need to get it fixed. :icon-smile:

I'm confident it isnt a head/head gasket issue because it uses no coolant or oil. :think:

Ed the GPS is a standard Garmin nuvi 2455LM running standard mapping. As you can see it knows most of the off road tracks which is very useful. Think it was about $120.

Ultimetly I want to use an Ipad with HEMA or Mudmap's etc. But I'm going to wait for my netbook to die first. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm sure that I'm telling you how to suck eggs here ... but your radiator is definitely 100% clear of mud, grass etc? Your viscous fan with an extra tube of the oil as well as your electric fan to be safe! The 2.4litre (2LTE?) surf I had in oz had a massive 4 core radiator with all of the above and would still get the electric fan kicking (and temp gauge moving up) in on a long climb in hot weather.

Yes the radiator is clear and in good condition. Its got a newish radiator, new water pump, new rad cap and new coolant. I even took the newish thermostat out and cut the centre out of an old one and put that in to see if that would fix it as obviously then it should get more coolant flowing.

Interesting idea about fitting the viscous one and having an electric one. :think:

Theres one more thing I've just thought of that I need to check out................

I think the bottom hose was very slightly kinked, not sure if that could be enough to reduce the coolant flow and cause it to overheat, but I will check when I get home.

I fitted a new Mr T top hose but I couldn't get the bottom hose to line up properly so ended using an old hose I found when I was doing the engine conversion. :icon-smile:

OK update time guys. :dance:

So I mentioned my engine has been running a bit warm and this is something I really need to get fixed ASAP.

The bottom hose that I mentioned is kinked is only very slightly kinked, so I cant imagine that would be enough to reduce the coolant flow to the point that the engine over heats? :think:

P4040024_zpse1667290.jpg

P4040026_zpsd705892f.jpg

The cowl I made for the back of the radiator could be causing the problem?

Im not sure it allows enough air to pass through the rad when driving? Would it be better if it had some holes in it? Holes would obviously reduce the effectiveness of the electric fan though I think. :?

P4040034_zpsbca69f97.jpg

P4040033_zpsb3943b4d.jpg

Back to my Warn 8274 High Mount Winch.

The new motor arrived from the states. This 6HP one will be a lot quicker than the old one.

P4040012_zps2c1a2b0e.jpg

P4040013_zps43575256.jpg

The other bits also arrived from the states this week. Lower housing service kit, brake service kit and splined bit for the motor conversion.

P4070069_zps46065a07.jpg

The only other bit I need is a new pinion cam, this bit:

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-7732-Pin...TF8&qid=1380962575&sr=8-18&keywords=warn+8274

But the seller wouldn't ship to Aus. :thumbdown:

So I'm going to hopefully buy Michaels off him as his winch is being converted to twin motor.

After cleaning my winch I found some damage.

Bottom housing.

P4040014_zpsaf29799e.jpg

Looking inside its clearly been dropped at some point and has cracked.

P4040015_zps60c19280.jpg

But the other side has been repaired.

P4040016_zps15a3f45f.jpg

I will fill over the crack on the inside with chemical metal and then sand it down.

The other bit thats damaged, and this is far more serious is the top housing is cracked. :doh:

P4040017_zpsf21881fe.jpg

Not very clear in the photo but the housing is badly cracked.

P4040018_zps53d997f8.jpg

P4040020_zpsd88fbeb0.jpg

My boss very kindly said I can have as an early Christmas present his spare top housing which he removed from his brand new winch to convert it to twin motors. Top man. :clap:

P4040021_zps86fdaf0b.jpg

No cracks and nice new undamaged rust free gears.

P4040022_zps682c1c36.jpg

I'm hoping to start rebuilding the winch this week after work.

The little blue Suzuki that we had resprayed sold instantly and the buyer wanted loads of extras. I had to make and fit a set of rock sliders.

P4040006_zpsc57f5898.jpg

P4040007_zpsb807905d.jpg

P4040009_zps24c9ad8c.jpg

P4040011_zpsa92878fd.jpg

The Frankenzuke Jimny build is progressing well! We've got 4 magazines who want to do a feature on it aswell as a 4wd tv show. :icon-cool:

As I've fitted bigger (wider) front springs into the original spring perches on the chassis the springs were hitting the chassis slightly when articulating. Originally my boss said when I mentioned it when I was doing all the welding on the axles that he wasnt bothered as it was just going to be a display vehicle, but now its turned out so well and hes really really pleased with it to the point hes said hes never going to sell it he wanted it fixing.

P4050035_zps1f076d8d.jpg

First job was to cut off the old perches.

P4050036_zpsd4ea1ad7.jpg

I ended up using the plasma cutter as I couldn't get the grinder in. Shit I love plasma cutters! Theirs something magical about melting metal away!

P4050037_zps03d8b0f9.jpg

I took some measurements and made a template in card. The new spring perches would sit 30mm further away from the chassis.

P4050038_zps5b5832d5.jpg

I then guillotined the metal to size, cleaned it up on the belt linisher, and folded it using our new brake press. I then welded some metal round the edge and tack welded a piece of tube in the middle to hold the original rubber spring seats on.

P4050039_zps4d80c73b.jpg

Tack welded in position.

P4050041_zpscd5d71c2.jpg

P4050042_zpsc49f9666.jpg

P4050043_zps9037a44d.jpg

P4050044_zps22b6de35.jpg

Other side.

P4050045_zpsafb09ae0.jpg

P4050046_zpsbc60460c.jpg

P4050047_zps6279113b.jpg

P4050048_zpsc0dc36fa.jpg

P4050049_zps64b7e712.jpg

P4050050_zps1b34a456.jpg

We then took it for a test drive and it drove perfectly with no clunking or banging from the front springs when driving up and over stuff. :icon-biggrin:

P4050051_zps8f045302.jpg

And we now have plenty of clearance between the chassis and springs.

P4050052_zps300a8c12.jpg

P4050053_zps1543d974.jpg

The only other issue weve been having is with the transfercase trying to escape!

The transfercase is designed for a little 1.3l engine, and diffs/axles and 28"? tyres.

Were running a 1.6 16v vit engine, hilux axles and 37" tyres! So the transfercase, or more precisely its mounts were now the weakest link.

We found when driving the transfercase was moving so much that the transfercase nob was shaking and vibrating very badly. Apparently a common issue on these vehicles.

So we needed to brace it and stop it from moving as much.

P4050055_zpsfbc93f1b.jpg

P4050057_zps4621e900.jpg

So I used an exhaust clamp around the snout on the back of the box and made a bracket to brace this to the main mount which I made previously.

P4050059_zps25e76e6b.jpg

I then made another bracket to stop the rubber mount from being able to move too much.

P4050060_zpsbcf20068.jpg

P4050061_zps6c73ec3f.jpg

Another little project I did on Friday was to make some gate latches. My boss needs 20 in total and he wanted them so that the farm gates can be opened either way and so they self lock when swung closed.

Guilitioned, folded, and drilled.

P4070063_zps358f2a8e.jpg

Assembled.

P4070064_zps0832ff00.jpg

P4070065_zps3f5d7086.jpg

P4070066_zps338e66b9.jpg

P4070067_zpsd48644d8.jpg

Just made 3 to start with so they can be fitted and tested. Then I will make a load more and then get the pieces electroplated.

P4070068_zps072a8ed9.jpg

And finally me!

Last weekend I had a great night out in the city with my friends to celebrate my 1st birthday in my new country (27th).

The night started at my favorite German restaurant where lots of steins of beer were consumed!

1374808_10202081414979843_1521024542_n_zpsb8d29303.jpg

1382198_10151842317737860_1614326465_n_zps554f98be.jpg

Then last night I went to see one of my favorite Dutch DJ's Sander Van Doorn. It was a great night but very messy! :icon-twisted:

1374733_10151960584490645_1858003509_n_zpsceff7f9a.jpg

1377126_10152301247894569_314553924_n_zpsd1fe8005.jpg

1379640_10202132691461723_1358862800_n_zpsd9fe6653.jpg

1379326_10202132691581726_181139253_n_zpse37f1dc8.jpg

1385257_10202132691141715_1171842877_n_zpsdb8c9660.jpg

1385918_10202132691741730_1295058034_n_zps5f956067.jpg

1384261_10202132692061738_407552602_n_zpsa94ac288.jpg

OK........................thats enough of partying and raves.

Next weekend I'm off with my boss to the next competition were entering! :dance:

If his son cant make it. :pray: I get to be co-pilot/winch bitch! :dance:

Otherwise I'm pit crew/photographer! Either way I get to leave work early and go and have heaps of fun! :icon-biggrin:

The weekend after that I'm off to Tassie for what will be an awesome LandCruiser adventure! Can't say too much just yet but your going to love it! :icon-wink:

Then its my 3 day Otways trip which is going to be another awesome adventure! Already got some great guys signed up for that one.
My mate Justin with the red Maverick (Patrol) , the one who snapped his winch wire and then tied the end back onto his bull bar and carried on up the track on the infamous Barkley River Jeep Track, is coming as well as a few others! :icon-twisted:

Then one of my best mates is flying over from the UK and were off to a big dance music festival. :icon-twisted:
Then me him and my other pommy mate who has been working in the mines in WA are spending 4-5 weeks driving up the East coast. Partying, jetskiing, snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, and partying in my favorite places like Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Airly Beach and Cairns :icon-biggrin:

I'm going to be spending over a grand on the Astra over the next few weeks. The aircon has never worked since I bought the car and its going to cost $600 to fix as it needs a new pump, apparently its a common problem on these cars. :doh:

Last time I buy a bloody UK built car. :lol:

On Monday I'm getting the windows tinted and then it just needs a service. I'm going to change the oil and filter, and air and fuel filters and then it should be ready.

Were going to be driving 6500k's and as it will be the middle of summer I want aircon and window tints. :icon-cool:

So thats where I'm up to guys. I'm so excited about the future! Got so much cool stuff planned. Loving life! :flags-australia:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The only other bit I need is a new pinion cam, this bit:

http://www.amazon.com/WARN-7732-Pin...TF8&qid=1380962575&sr=8-18&keywords=warn+8274

But the seller wouldn't ship to Aus. :thumbdown:

(Snip)

Next weekend I'm off with my boss to the next competition were entering! :dance:

If his son cant make it. :pray: I get to be co-pilot/winch bitch! :dance:

Otherwise I'm pit crew/photographer! Either way I get to leave work early and go and have heaps of fun! :icon-biggrin:

The weekend after that I'm off to Tassie for what will be an awesome LandCruiser adventure! Can't say too much just yet but your going to love it! :icon-wink:

Then its my 3 day Otways trip which is going to be another awesome adventure! Already got some great guys signed up for that one.
My mate Justin with the red Maverick (Patrol) , the one who snapped his winch wire and then tied the end back onto his bull bar and carried on up the track on the infamous Barkley River Jeep Track, is coming as well as a few others! :icon-twisted:

Then one of my best mates is flying over from the UK and were off to a big dance music festival. :icon-twisted:
Then me him and my other pommy mate who has been working in the mines in WA are spending 4-5 weeks driving up the East coast. Partying, jetskiing, snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, and partying in my favorite places like Byron Bay, Gold Coast, Brisbane, Airly Beach and Cairns :icon-biggrin:

I'm going to be spending over a grand on the Astra over the next few weeks. The aircon has never worked since I bought the car and its going to cost $600 to fix as it needs a new pump, apparently its a common problem on these cars. :doh:

Last time I buy a bloody UK built car. :lol:

On Monday I'm getting the windows tinted and then it just needs a service. I'm going to change the oil and filter, and air and fuel filters and then it should be ready.

Were going to be driving 6500k's and as it will be the middle of summer I want aircon and window tints. :icon-cool:

So thats where I'm up to guys. I'm so excited about the future! Got so much cool stuff planned. Loving life! :flags-australia:

Have a look at one of the forwarding services; they exist for preciously that reason! Let me know if you want me to find the name of one that is any good

The only reason I'd have a European car is if I can get a parts easily, so for me that's an old Volvo... have mates with paddocks full of them and sheds of spares!

Enjoy your trip, and don't forget that the hinterland areas can be as spectacular as the coast (and a lot quieter!)

Happy 1st Birthday Ben! Can't believe its been a year since you left!

On the blue suzi, it looks like the sliders are welded to the chassis. All sliders I've seen (and my ARB step/protectors) are "U" bolted to the chassis.

Are yours welded or is it chassis strengthening there?

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

Thanks Ed I didn't think of a forwarding company. :think:

Happy 1st Birthday Ben! Can't believe its been a year since you left!

On the blue suzi, it looks like the sliders are welded to the chassis. All sliders I've seen (and my ARB step/protectors) are "U" bolted to the chassis.

Are yours welded or is it chassis strengthening there?

Cheers! :icon-biggrin:

It hasnt been a year its been 8 months. :?

My 27th birthday which was last week was my 1st birthday over here. :thumbup:

Well spotted on the sliders. :icon-biggrin:

We offer the sliders in 2 mounting options................

Bolted around the chassis using bolts and plates simillar to the U bolt method.

Or 12mm thick steel plate with holes drilled and tapped welded to the chassis that the sliders then bolt to. :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Nice update Ben and happy birthday for last week. I like the glasses, it looked you just made it out there alive and might still be in recovery.

Great work on the vit keep it up.

Thanks Warren. :thumbup:

Was a great night and amazingly I'm feeling pretty good today. :dance:

Which is good as need to get some more building work done on the house today. I worked out to pay the rent, cleaner and wifi I need to do 5.5 hours work per week on the house. :icon-biggrin:

I think for off road situations the rad cowl and electric fan works good sucking air when the engine is revving but not going anywhere, but in my opinion I reckon at highway speed there is not enough natural airflow other than the electric fan thus the engine getting warmer....It may actually be worth having a auxiliary temperature gauge so that you can do your own testing and figure out the best setup.

The cowl I made for the back of the radiator could be causing the problem?

Im not sure it allows enough air to pass through the rad when driving? Would it be better if it had some holes in it? Holes would obviously reduce the effectiveness of the electric fan though I think. :?

P4040034_zpsbca69f97.jpg
The cowl allows the fan to draw in air over the whole area of the rad while the fan is running, if you cut holes the fan would pull air through those holes and reduce the air being pulled over the rad. :think:

Hi Ben,i'm chasing after one of those tub's for the LJ70 in the clove box. I have read earlier in this thread that your boss carries these.Can you let me know how much they are and how much to send to Christchurch New Zealand?

With your truck heating problem your shroud needs more are flow out of the rad at the back. Look at the following and see if you can implement this on your truck.
http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126035

The rubber flaps will allow air through when driving and when doing low speeds when the fan comes into play the rubber flaps will close through a vacuum effect drawing air over the rad in the front. Just my 2 cents worth... Hope it helps

Cheerz Joe

Sorry for the mix-up Ben, Happy Birthday (belated now) for last week!

Interesting about the slider mounts, like the idea of bolt-onto the chassis. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:

Im tempted to remove the cowl and electric fan and see what its like on the road. If it starts getting too hot I will have to turn the heater on and if the temp still keeps climbing I will have to pull over and let it cool down. :think:

I did think of putting a few holes in the bull bar with a hole saw to try and help get more air to the rad, but I don't really want to start drilling holes in the bar if it doesn't fix the problem. :think:

Joe interesting idea about the flaps, thats something I could do. :thumbup:

Regarding the Doug's Tub your after for your glovebox, it would be easier if you buy it from one of our distributors. Although the company I work for has a showroom thats open to the public most of our sales are wholesale to our distributors and they don't really do personal sales. :icon-neutral:

If non of the people selling them on ebay.com.au will ship to NZ, let me know and I will send you one over myself. :icon-wink:

The kinked pipe severely reduces the circulation of coolant . The slower it circulates the longer the engine has to heat it , the rad can only cool a small percentage of the overall coolant at a time so the slow circulation is overwhelming it . Putting a longer pipe on to remove the kink might save you a lot of work so worth a try first maybe .

Crazy Idea maybe....but maybe you should remove the coolant thermostat so that coolant is forever flowing around the engine? I've seen this been done many times on old cars and they seem to get on fine, it should work with no adverse affect being your in a hot climate.

I remember reading how these thermostats are very slow opening and sometimes when pushing the engine can be under extreme temperatures calling for coolant, but just not receiving it quick enough, just my thoughts anyway

Im tempted to remove the cowl and electric fan and see what its like on the road. If it starts getting too hot I will have to turn the heater on and if the temp still keeps climbing I will have to pull over and let it cool down. :think:

I did think of putting a few holes in the bull bar with a hole saw to try and help get more air to the rad, but I don't really want to start drilling holes in the bar if it doesn't fix the problem. :think:

Joe interesting idea about the flaps, thats something I could do. :thumbup:

I'm interested in the flap solution as well, because at somepoint I'm going to have to sort out the fan shroud for our 4Runner... it had 2 broken clips so "fell off" in my hands the other day when it was annoying me. Also, I'm thinking I may change from a viscous to efan I'm reading Ben's challenges with interest.

Crazy Idea maybe....but maybe you should remove the coolant thermostat so that coolant is forever flowing around the engine? I've seen this been done many times on old cars and they seem to get on fine, it should work with no adverse affect being your in a hot climate.

I remember reading how these thermostats are very slow opening and sometimes when pushing the engine can be under extreme temperatures calling for coolant, but just not receiving it quick enough, just my thoughts anyway

I ran our FJ73 (3F petrol) without a thermostat for a couple of months, I tried new temp senders, thermostat's (genuine and Tridon's) in a bit to cure it's running warm problem (according to the gauge), and in the end gave up and ran with no t'stat. Fuel economy wasn't as good, and it actually never got warm properly, according to the gauge, but I think that was more to do with the time of the year I was running it in (March, April, May) than anything else.

Back