Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Hilux Build

Beware, the ARB winch bumper that I fitted to a mates HiLux wasn't compatible with the headlight washers, not a problem I hear you say, just leave them out. Well yes, you can BUT the near side stone guard/bash plate wouldn't fit, as it hit the headlight washer pumps location in the bottom of the windscreen washer tank.

We had to modify the plate to accommodate the tank, but I wasn't happy with it, especially with the price of an ARB.

It would appear that the Aus market either don't have headlight washers, or their tank is a different shape. So my advice would be to make sure whatever you buy is headlight washer / windscreen wash tank compatible.

Having seen a 4 bar gate winch bumper being installed on a HiLux in Aus, it was a massive great thing! That came with a template to cut the OE bumper, top bit gets reused, the rest is binned.

If you don't need a metal winch bumper, then I wouldn't bother. I think the winch mount behind the standard bumper is a better compromise. Saves on weight, keeps the good standard approach angle and vehicle styling.

Fun times building a new truck.

Last edited:
a UK company who makes landy stuff, but they havent bothered replying to my questions

Do you mean LandySpares/AJS Fabrications? They can be a bit hard to get hold of, as I discovered with the Colorado bumpers.

I'm sure Chris could sort you out something if you'd be willing to make the trip to Hull?

Looks good Andy, you shouldn't run out of storage space any time soon with that setup :icon-cool: I think a hidden mount suits modern vehicle styling better than a full winch bumper.

Do you mean LandySpares/AJS Fabrications? They can be a bit hard to get hold of, as I discovered with the Colorado bumpers.

I'm sure Chris could sort you out something if you'd be willing to make the trip to Hull?

yes its them Doodle

i asked for photos of the mount and also installation info
he said he would send me info twice, nothing came...

this is ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Toyota-Hi...CarParts_SM&hash=item258aae267e#ht_804wt_1157

the other option is this one
http://www.afn.pt/prod_details.php?id=126&vehicleId=66&catId=1002

which is also sold here:
http://www.more4x4.eu/afn-winch-mounting-plates-details/392.html

or here
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/6pt1011-5598_winch_winch_mount.html

but i have no other info on these or examples of them fitted and track record of the companies

thanks for that other info Scott, i forgot you told me about that washer bottle

cheers Jon, but remember we need to carry 2x mountain bikes in there too!

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Got my frame i made for rear cab back from powdercoaters
so i fitted board to it, and bolted on my air-compressor to the base
and started fitting electronics = inverter, Ctek mains charger, Ctek DC-DC charger, 240v plug socket, a fuse box
and fitted battery box in place

2014-03-24 17.47.32 (Medium).jpg

Received a set of Colorado alloys from Karl this week, and today i got some new BFG AT 265/70-16 tyres fitted to them
these are same diameter as the factory 265/65-17 tyres - any bigger tend to catch on the wheel arches

Attachments

• 2014-03-28 16.30.26 (Medium).jpg
    2014-03-28 16.30.26 (Medium).jpg
    134 KB · Views: 345
  • 2014-03-28 16.30.15 (Medium).jpg
    2014-03-28 16.30.15 (Medium).jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 345
Oh my, I just did a sex wee! That's stunning Andy. My hat comes off to you!:icon-cool::thumbup:

Great minds think alike. My CTek installation looks almost identical to yours.

CTek System 1.jpg

CTek System 2.jpg

Keep up the good work.

Brilliant Marius

I hadn't seen your setup either
But i like you idea of drilling holes in the board to hide some wires.
I will do that to some too as it looks neater.

I see you have a ctek smartpass, does that have significant benefit over just the dc-dc charger,
And i assume you have a solar panel ?

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

My system works great and yes I have two 130w Victron solar panels on top of the roof top tent. I have only used the CTek D250S with the Smartpass so don't know how the D250S performes on it's own sorry but I love the product.

Hope you don't mind me asking Guys, but what does that lot do and why do you need it? I don't any of that planned into my build. Yet.

Andy - The HiLux is looking fab :thumbup: Great work.

Marius - That is a very tidy install indeed :thumbup:

Chris
From what i read the DC-DC chargers are meant to charge the leisure battery more efficiently and fully charge them compared to using a split charge relay
. The hilux alternator isnt that highly rated so i thought i would try one.
I had an amazon voucher as leaving present from previous job and i saw one of the ctek chargers on amazon so bought it.

The upper ctek unit on photos is a mains charger and it has a mode where it provides continous power to leisure battery and i used this in morocco where campsites had electrical hookup.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

and the tyres are on
vehicle looks much nicer :icon-biggrin:
but standard 17" alloy road wheel/tyres going back on soon until i go on next trip where i need AT tyres

the stance is slightly wider since the colorado alloys have different offset, like the look

will look even better when i get OME lift kit :icon-cool:

2014-03-29 09.51.03 (Medium).jpg

I would just have to leave them on it

I would just have to leave them on it

since i have the set of road wheels/tyres as well I might as well put wear on them between trips on unsurfaced roads
and maybe get slightly better mpg too

don't do that many miles on the Hilux though, since i don't commute in it

What MPG you getting out of the Hilux

Back