Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Hilux Build

was getting 27-28mpg running around locally

27mpg on run down to Clitheroe at 70mph (on satnav)

now 25mpg since fitting canopy, RTT and awning. It will drop more with these AT tyres, and after suspension lift, and other mods (weight) added

i was hoping it would be better.... maybe it will improve as engine runs in a bit more... wishfull thinking... :icon-evil:

The neat thing about the ctek smartpass setup is that it has a separate circuit for powering fridge etc so during charging the charger will do a proper job of charging the battery without being fooled by things like the fridge drawing power it thinks is going into the battery = more charge in the battery. My Stirling DC-DC charger does an ok job but won't be doing as good a job because the fridge drawing power is distorting what it thinks is going on.

Alternators do an ok but not great job of charging batteries in a traditional split charge system and the more discharged a battery gets the worse job an alternator does recharging it. DC-DC chargers do a much better job. Only really matters if you are using more aux battery power than the standard split charge scheme can manage.

Thanks chaps..That's something I shall think on. Not sure I really need that on my system but I was contemplating a solar panel at some point so I'd need an interface for that. Want and need being different concepts completely of course.

Got a huge parcel delivered today = accessory for the Hilux - any guesses?

hoping it will prove to be a great bargain - from my Ebay win of stuff Frogs Island was selling off...

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
yep

a brand new ARB rear protection bumper/towbar..... for £300

but... got home and found the fitting kit is for 2002-2005 Hilux SIDE STEPS!!!! :icon-evil: :doh: :cry:

2014-03-31 17.39.34 (Large).jpg2014-03-31 17.40.11 (Medium).jpg2014-03-31 17.31.48 (Medium).jpg

More parcels today

ASFIR stuff to fend off them pesky stones

and a shurflo pump and a tap for my onboard water system

got a 70 litre tank on the way for the water

2014-04-04 16.49.36 (Medium).jpg

Looking really very very good! Glad puppy is getting in on the action too ;)

Fitted the ASFIR ski plates, took a while to figure out how to fit the brackets for the transmission plate.
then fitted a tap to storage system and a shurflo water pump in the cubby behind it

made a pass-through pipe between pickup cab and pickup tub, using grommets and a 20mm plastic pipe, to feed CB antenna cable, power for canopy accessories, and electric hookup cable

then fitted the CB antennae

2014-04-05 17.40.43 (Medium).jpg2014-04-05 10.20.12 HDR (Medium).jpg2014-04-05 17.40.52 (Medium).jpg2014-04-05 10.50.46 (Medium).jpg2014-04-05 10.51.04 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Hidden winch mount arrived today
Then cleaned up winch for 2nd photo to remove sahara from it!

uploadfromtaptalk1396900798742.jpg
y6ymaga8.jpg

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Andy, which Surflow pump did you go for? I want to run a shower - not a dribble. Now the problem always is water capacity. The pumps I am looking at seem to come in a combination of flow and pressure. 10 l per min is a LOT of water. I wondered about the higher pressure but lower volume unit. It's a shower not a fire hose after all. That delivers 7.0l per min. Most of the hot water would be for washing up in a bowl, but occasionally you just need a good hair wash to freshen up. It's doubtful that me or the missus are going to be standing there getting the full works in the middle of a field. There are limits.

This model 2095-403-443. Which is 30psi and 10 l per min

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wondering about ditching the pump for the kampa geyser and running my tap and shower from the shurflo, with a valve to disconnect the feed to shower when not being used. But may need to fool the kampa geyser electrics if not using it's native pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does the pump perform then Andy? The one on the Kampa is actually perfectly good enough from my perspective, but I am not putting that system in. If the SURFLOW mimics the performance of the Kampa, I'd be very happy. I read that you can adjust the pump via + - screw. Obviously when you put the restriction of the shower head on there you reduce the flow but increase the pressure as long as the pump is man enough. I thought the 30 psi and 7 lt/min might suit my needs. Nice that the SURFLOW has a built in pressure switch so as I turn the water off it kills the pump.

Chris

i havent tested it yet chris, still waiting on pipe work and the tank
not wired it up yet either,
i just connected it to a battery breify to make sure it ran before i fixed it in place

i think the + / - adjustment is for shut off pressure, not sure, not read the instructions properly yet :whistle:

i will report back once all wired and plumbed up

the problem with the kampa geyser pump is the fitting is unusual and it is going to be tricky to plumb it to my tank which has 1/2" barb fittings and i am using 1/2" pipe. the kampa pump as a threaded cap on it, which is 1.5" or 1-1/4" diameter
yes you can remove that and the strainer and the connection underneath is smaller

i would need a shutoff valve though, as i think the fittings would leak on the kampa, if its left with pressurised water in system

Well Frogs Island couldnt find or source an ARB fitting kit for the bumper i got off them at bargain price, but said they would refund me some cash which is good of them.

Ben has been brilliant and helped me out, he got me a cost for the parts from ARB HQ in Melbourne,
but he also suggested we get hold of the fitting instructions and see what the fitting kit actually contains, since i could get some bits in UK - bolts etc

So Ben got hold of a PDF of the fitting kit instructions and sent it to me today - :dance:

and most of the kit is bolts, nuts and washers - no fancy brackets, and the instructions listed the spec and number of bolts etc, so i have ordered these in UK
the lifting eyes, used as recovery loops also easy to buy in UK

the only other thing was the swan-neck towbar hitch for the receiver hitch, but i can also get in UK or USA. and i fancy a drop-place one anyway

so all sorted - thanks so much Ben for the help :dance::icon-cool::happy-bouncyshadow::happy-bouncyshadow::banana-rainbow:

still need a like button! Well done Ben. Mates are great!

Just love your drawers (ooer matron!!). starting to look really nice now.

don't forget the rear tub flexes separate to the cab, so you don't want anything connecting the two, on the roof or the body unless it has enough flex, so for protecting cables etc running between the two flexi conduit or rubber hose might be best.

Back