Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Ahh, never said I wasn't going to use it. I have another 80 that does have grey leather. Yaaaaaayy!!!

And there's me complaining to the missus the workshop needs a heater for all the late nights :lol:

OK OK, I know that you have all been gagging for news, unable to sleep, suffering hair loss, no appetite, reduced libido, but I can only work on the Ghost at weekends you see. But I have to start with some grave news. A sombre moment if you will. Here

P1010286.JPG

Whilst working around the back end I noticed a couple of bubbles which I poked with the end of my spanner. Like picking a scab, a few minutes later I had a hole. Right through. I have cut a small section out and it's all good metal at the outer skin. I got showered in massive pieces of rust in the process which I think are part of the inner wing. It's old stuff I think and dry. So a clean out and some rust killer in there and we should be good to go. Dead easy section to repair so we'll be fine.

OK moving on. A really busy day that didn't take me very much further forward really but an important day nonetheless. I finished fitting the drawers - actually 'tuned' them up a bit and they are really good now. Got a new plastic inside panel courtesy of Karl. Got the fridge in and my slider.

P1010287.JPG

Oooh, that's what I call an extension.

P1010288.JPG

Now the bumper. Very pleased with that but I had to do quite a bit of work to the chassis before I could fit it. Almost all of the captive nuts were toast when I came to remove the tow bar. The bumper uses the same mounting points and of course once the bumper is on, you can't get into the chassis rail so everything has to be inside already. This involved making plates with captive nuts on and control rods to be able to push the plates deep into the chassis. They all went perfectly. That's my story and I am sticking to it.

Here's some sexy shots.

P1010289.JPG
P1010290.JPG
P1010291.JPG

It's a nice thing but there is a good morning's worth of 'shugling' to get it square. Not sure where it's out but some big spanners and 12 mm bolts will settle that down for sure. I will be adding the wheel carrier, 2" receiver, tow electrics and not much else other than the mud flaps back on. Yes I know it doesn't look much for a day's toil, but trust me I have earned this glass of sherry.

Got the fridge in and my slider.

View attachment 9949

Oooh, that's what I call an extension.

View attachment 9950

Lookin good Chris, as always......:icon-cool:

May I ask a silly question? (I don't usually ask beforehand!) - why does the fridge need to extend out as much as per the 2nd pic? Why isn't the initial extension (as pic #1) enough?

It doesn't look as if the rear tailgate would interfere with the fridge opening/closing ???

Last edited:
Good work :)

Impressed with trick with captive nuts on a plate, wish i had thought of that 5yrs ago when i had similar issue

I guess need for the fridge extension is due to tailgate meaning it awkward for accessing the fridge.
I am in planning stage for making drawer system for my Hilux, so thinking of this tailgate clearance too

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Spot on Andy. The tailgate has to be down and that hits you in the midriff. This restricts looking into the fridge. remember I am on a 2' lift as well and going to be very slightly higher shortly in order to level the vehicle out. I'm a fraction over 6.0' but anyone shorter than that wouldn't stand a chance of seeing in there. What I really want is drop slide, but I am not paying the £600,000 that robbing &*£$ like APB want for one. I shall come up with something eventually. You don't need to extend that far, and I figured that versatility was the name of the game. I can leave the drawer top in place and just extend the slide. It also moves between vehicles with only 6 bolts.

Captive nut plates. Yep, really handy. You can't always get a spanner in there so put the nut on a plate and weld a long stick (actually a welding rod will do) so that you can firtle it down the chassis to the point that the bolts come though. Mobile captive nuts in essence.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Arhhh, yes - I was only considering the top tailgate and didn't even think about the lower half! All clear now - thanks. :thumbup:

(I've only ever experienced the "normal" rear door of a 90 - at least that's my excuse! :whistle:)

Coming along nicely, know what you mean about the fiddly jobs that seem to eat up time, making stuff fit and coming up with solutions.
I do like the bumper.

Captive nut plates. Yep, really handy. You can't always get a spanner in there so put the nut on a plate and weld a long stick (actually a welding rod will do) so that you can firtle it down the chassis to the point that the bolts come though. Mobile captive nuts in essence.

That's what the TJM bumper I fitted yesterday uses. Very easy to work with.

Just a little something to titillate you (Yes Clive, this is for you I know you don't get out much) I am going to be cracking on with the wheel carrier soon and by way of a start I have the spindle ready. Now, JW has been trying to get me to be sensible and all that, but I'm not having it. Oh no, I want little touches (don't we all) in there that make you go, hmm that's nice. So for the hold open latch, I didn't want to just drill a hole in the bumper. Not me. I have made up a boss that fits on the shaft that will take the pin from the hold open bolt. The nice thing is that I can make all of this up accurately on the bench then the whole thing slots into the hole cut into the bumper. It will be perfectly perpendicular too making welding in place nice and simple. I do need some nice big lumps of stainless though.

Here you are. It is a massive thing. The shaft is 45mm! Maybe I could make the first single arm double carrier!!

Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 20.14.46.jpg

P1010298.JPG

Very envious of your man cave and toys Chris, I've got a head full of good ideas that can only be put into practice by others.

Theres a new addition to my truck coming soon, watch for a post :shhh:

Big and shiny, nice :icon-cool: positioned strategically next to what looks like a nice glass of whisky

Nice work Chris :icon-cool::clap::clap::clap:

Looking forward to the bumper build.

Whisky? No, that's just my medicine.

Thanks Scott. Not rushing this, just want a really good build. again, been listening to what people say about long term real life tests of kit. Amazing what 1000k of poor roads can do to a vehicle. OK I may never get to do those trips, but I am not kitting this one out with weak parts off the Thursday market in Chesterfield. 100 assorted jubilee clips for £1.99 you know? This has to be industrial strength, fit and forget. We can't have the spare wheel falling off just as we pull into Capetown. Or Bakewell.

:clap: Bumper... Mmmm Nice... Coming along nicely! Exactly as expected :)

Get the window tinting done, I reckon it'll transform the look :icon-cool: I did Ruby recently and she looks killer now! Also keeps the car cooler, although this probably isn't a problem right now in the UK :?

Ahead of you Matt. It's booked in for the 17th. Just been waiting for new window rubbers. These are rock hard and the windows actually rattle when halfway down. Proper professional job. All glass out tinted right to the edges. Full guarantee. £300 all in. Pleased with that. Seen lots of their work and it's first class. They do a lot of work for the main dealers on new cars for customers, pre delivery.

Very envious of your man cave and toys Chris, I've got a head full of good ideas that can only be put into practice by others.

Theres a new addition to my truck coming soon, watch for a post :shhh:

As as I may have appeared to have ignored your masterpiece pivot, it's a nice strong and neat job you've done there.

I've managed to do something similar replacing the bearings in my ARB swing-out. Opposing taper rollers, but I only have thick O ring seals instead of proper grease seals like yours.

I now have a grease nipple on mine so I can regularly pack it, then grit will tend to migrate away from the bearings.

Good job Chris! :icon-biggrin:

Ahead of you Matt. It's booked in for the 17th. Just been waiting for new window rubbers. These are rock hard and the windows actually rattle when halfway down. Proper professional job. All glass out tinted right to the edges. Full guarantee. £300 all in. Pleased with that. Seen lots of their work and it's first class. They do a lot of work for the main dealers on new cars for customers, pre delivery.

Who are you getting to do the tinting Chris, at that price it would be worth a drive oop north compared to what you'd get charged down here. :think:

Seriously? I doubt it Chas. The place is local, in Chesterfield. Spire Tinting. Been around a long time and as I say looking at their work it is faultless. They need the vehicle for two days. Does't take two full days but as the glass has to come out etc They treat any corrosion that they find too which is a bonus

You maybe right Chris, I was assuming in London it would be more expensive, but having had a look at a few sites I'm not so sure. What I need is a recommendation.

Back