Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Project 80: Codename Grey Ghost

Well not much visible progress for such a hard day's work really. Just lovely to be out in the sunshine. Got the main cables through the bulkhead into the rear area. Fitted the CTEK DS250 and Smartpass. I plan to run all the cables in this tray I made up. I might spray that black before I do. I also have some neat rubber edging strip to go all the way around so there's not sharp edges. It's not useful room for anything else and made sense to put these there.

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 17.25.19.jpg

Last job was to fit the Victron Energy BMV600S charge monitor. I put it next to the switch panel so I could see the effect of turning things on and off.

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 17.25.38.jpg

That's going to be a very neat install Chris. I put my CTEK's on the floor instead of fixing them to the drawers so if I want to see the little lights I only have to move the back seat slightly and look down. Will be interested to hear how well the Victron works :icon-cool:

Thanks JW. Thought about floor but this suited me. It's kinda all in one this way. Still got to get an LB sorted.

As for the Victron look no further than Lazz's splendid build video. If it's good enough for Mr Lazz it's good enough for me. Do I need it? Nope. Did I want one? Too late

Interested to be able to monitor stuff as it's running. Quite a thick handbook of stuff to read. Which I won't of course

Gotta like neat wiring. Seems to take an age but so worth it.

Very neat Chris

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
As for the Victron look no further than Lazz's splendid build video. If it's good enough for Mr Lazz it's good enough for me. Do I need it? Nope. Did I want one? Too late
Ah didn't realise Lazz had one, that's answered then :icon-cool:

Yes, I watched the vid and thought WTF is that? Better get one and find out :lol:

I went for the BMV 600 because that is the model I wanted. Yes I have seen that video which I how I selected the model I wanted. I only have one battery to monitor and the 700 is for strings of batteries.

Bought it from Baden

Last edited:
This bad boy arrived today.

Screen Shot 2014-05-22 at 17.54.11.jpg

No not the multi meter, the Optima. Could be a contentious choice I know. People either love them or have had terrible experiences. I went to Manbatt for advice. I had few options. I found a smaller Numax that would drop straight in and a larger one with mahoosive capacity that
would need the wheel arch, errmmm, let's say modifying a little with the welding spanner. So I was uhming and ahhing when another chap came out and suggested the Optima. It's not that we had not already considered it, but the sizes just said 'no' on paper.
Ahh says the new chap, but have you thought about the actual shape of the Optima. With it being 6 tubes stacked like pipes would be, it's not actually square on the bottom, it's a sort of parallelogram with a sort of cut out exactly where the wheel tub it. He fetched one and plonk, it went straight in. They don't sell to the public but he did offer me a price. Ye Gods. I nearly ran out. But, they were really good in giving me an hour of their time to play about. I Googled the battery and came up with Battery Megastore next day delivery all in for £199. Frankly I was pretty happy with that for one of these.

Before buying it, Manbatt explained the technology in there and how it was much better suited to my application that a wet cell battery. It really benefits from the 14+ volt DC to DC charge and has much less resistance to charge than a normal battery. Meaning that short runs of the engine pack in more charge. It also discharges with a much better curve that a normal battery supplying a higher voltage for much longer of its capacity. You should not discharge a battery past about 10v. The Optima, runs longer without drop to that point. Whilst it's only rated at 75 Ah, it's equivalent is in reality higher than that with a greater reserve. No I am not a battery expert, but I understood what they were telling me. I asked the guys why Optima get fantasict reviews juxtaposed with dreadful reviews. Easy they said. People are basically clueless. They don't listen and have no idea what they're doing. They turn up after 6 months with a knackered battery and an ebay 3 amp trickle charger after having flatten the battery completely. You just can't charge a battery from flat with a tiny charger. Not without knowing a trick or two.

So there is it, being topped up ready for installation this weekend. We'll see what it does. The other neat thing is because it's a cranking battery too and the terminals are central rather than handed, it could make an emergency battery for another vehicle without too much problem

So they all say anyhoo.

Got a pair of them under the bonnet of Wanda (FZJ105) in Oz, one starter, one auxiliary. I've had 9 Optimas on a number of vehicles of the years, not a problem from any of them and some of them got pushed to the limit. Agreed, use a CTEK charger to periodically charge and condition the battery and it'll last.

I did buy an Odyssey battery for the auxiliary role in the 80 a couple of years back, and so far I'm very pleased with that too.

The 80 is really taking shape, I'm looking forward to seeing her at Lincomb.

taking shape Scott but a great deal of finishing to do to make it smart. Need that good weather

Clive
things like that will get you turned off the forum!! We in the UK have a bank holiday weekend of rain and thunder storms ahead.
stu

Clive even I'm envious of that weather! :cry:

Battery looks good Chris! :thumbup:

We sell heaps of them at work. :icon-cool:

Clive even I'm envious of that weather! :cry:

Battery looks good Chris! :thumbup:

We sell heaps of them at work. :icon-cool:

Hey Ben, you've had your turn, now it's ours :lol:

It was -20C at times last winter, so we've earned it :thumbup:

Grrrrrrrrr! :angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming::angry-screaming:

I'll join you in this. Trying to finish the patio this weekend after sacking off the builder for not getting on with (saving £1500 in the process) - can't do that when it's raining.

Back