Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

What do you do?

Never seen ceramic fuses filled with compound. All sorts of other stuff but not fuses.
I visited the Electricity Museum in Funchal Madeira last week. Great little museum in the old power station. I was like a kid in a sweet shop with no signs saying 'no entry' or 'do not touch'. The old DC switchboard was brilliantly preserved. The even painted round the scorch marks on the ceiling where the breakers had arced. Lynn couldn't contain her excitement and had to go for a coffee and a nap. [emoji4]

Well, I can appreciate Lynn's enthusiasm... it must have quite a task to drag her away from that...:whistle:

It's a no on the photos, nothing as hi-tech as those. I wish I'd kept a photo, they would make your museum pics look like next years' brochure :lol:

Each 'pot' was about the same size as a standard light bulb, but cylindrical, with a white and red button side-by-side on the end. As it tripped the red popped out and the white in. You depressed the red one to reset (after waiting 1/2 hrs or so for it to cool down) and if it locked, the white would pop out and you were good to go again.

If not wait another 1/2 hour... :icon-rolleyes:

None of that for me, the red stayed in and the pot just got hotter and hotter till it went with a bang, spewing this black tarry stuff, and catching fire.

Ahh yes, but not to worry, I gave her a detailed explanation of what she had missed. She looked very intently at me, completely focused, in awe and admiration right up until the point I finished speaking.

Black tarry stuff you say, sounds like a wartime incendiary device cunningly concealed if you ask me Clive. [emoji6]

Black tarry stuff you say, sounds like a wartime incendiary device cunningly concealed if you ask me Clive. [emoji6]

Thats what I was thinking at the time, Rich, some form of sabotage! WTF :?

I visited the Electricity Museum in Funchal Madeira last week. Great little museum in the old power station. I was like a kid in a sweet shop with no signs saying 'no entry' or 'do not touch'. The old DC switchboard was brilliantly preserved. They even painted round the scorch marks on the ceiling where the breakers had arced.

Lynn couldn't contain her excitement and had to go for a coffee and a nap. [emoji4]

haha I bet she couldn't, brilliant! :laughing-rolling:

That pic reminds me of the old DC station at GEC, when I was an apprentice I got stuck in the maintenance dept for a few months, all the sparks were away on robot courses in Sweeden, it was boredom squared for me, I started playing with the pool of broken BEV trucks (remember those little DC pallet trucks you steer with a lever? I spotted one in the original Star Wars film LOL) I made two good ones out of 5 broken trucks in the end, got praised to high heaven for taking the initiative, but really I was only besting my time around the deserted 'B' isle race track I'd set up :lol: them were the days :laughing-rolling:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
So an update on what I am up to, well I can't talk about it too much :eusa-shhh:. Still at Dyson but now I am a Senior Mechanical Engineer and also recently became Chartered with the IMechE leading a team of 5 Mechanical Engineers, it has actually been 6 years! What I can say is that I source and develop electric motors with our suppliers and integrate them into our products, ensuring they are up to the job, have enough cooling, are reliable and take up no room. I also design small drives including plastic gearboxes, belt drives and other mechanical systems.

I am actually looking for a Technician, and have been for some time, that can do basic wiring, testing, prototype builds and can use a manual lathe/mill to make/modify precision components so if anyone knows someone that is interested please let me know.

Last edited:
Back